Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 07-30-2008, 08:08 AM   #1
sfretts
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8573
What do all these cable plugs go to?

Howdy, Some may have heard of my trials and tribulations setting up our new Mountaineer. As I continue to delve into serious and expensive upgrades/repairs after upgrades...etc, I have added a second TV. When we bought the 5vr, I asked what the different cable connections did. This was the only question that stumped the guy giving us the tutorial. He told me it will be in the manual. I cannot locate any info period about the cable hookups.

Here is what we did: There are three cable hookups along side the tv in the living area. One is a double outlet with a small cable "looped" to the other end. There is another outlet beside that. With the help of the local cable guy (my son) we found signal on the top plug of the looped outlet. Nothing to the other two. When I hooked the second tv up in the bedroom, I got nearly equal signal out of the bottom loop and the seperate plug. I installed a Y to the top outlet and looped it to the seperate outlet for the best reception to the bedroom tv. This by the way is a cable connection plugged in from the back of the trailer.

Now the question is, is this a normal setup (three plugs with only one with signal or could it be wired wrong? Is one for the TV antenna and what is the loop about? Are you confused yet? I am! I have a pic or two if anyone needs the visual.

Thanks

sfretts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 08:28 AM   #2
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Steve,
Most of us know exactly how confusing the arrangement is since this topic comes up regularly. From my understanding the upper loop provides the feed to the rear set in the bedroom which then returns (with the antenna feed) through the bottom connector to the front (living room) set. You should not need to Y the connections to get cable to both sets, however, you should make sure that the antenna booster is turned off (usually located next to the bedroom TV), off is indicated when green power light is off. When it really gets interesting is on satellite feeds, because then you have to reconfigure all of the wiring at the living room set. Know also that some rigs have the connections hooked up however the old world craftsman decided they were going to do it that day! Hope this helps, if you need a schematic, PM Brad (bsmeaton), he has one that he has posted repeatedly that you should also be able to find in the archives.
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 09:06 AM   #3
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Not sure if this applies to Mountaineer - but here is the Montana wiring (note this is not that new either, as it doesn't show the basement jack):

bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 09:21 AM   #4
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
I believe that is the way our Mountaineer is wired Brad, or might I say, was wired from the factory. I've changed a few things around to my liking.

IIRC, you cannot run a satellite signal through the antenna amp. Cable is fine, but the amp will not let the voltage pass from the receiver to the LNB on the dish.
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 10:46 AM   #5
sfretts
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8573
Thanks for the schematic. Mine appears to be a little different. I have the looped (two outlet wall plate and the other is a single cable plate. The signal only comes in through the upper "loop" connection and both the bottom and separate connection go to the bedroom. Looks like I may have a hookup mis wired. I will do a search and see if I can locate any more schematics.

Thanks

Steve
sfretts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 01:12 PM   #6
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
That sounds exactly like ours. The bottom is the return from the bedroom that goes to the living room set input. All that should (repeat should) be required is to connect to the outside and make sure that the bottom plate is connected to the LR set. It is important that the booster switch button be in the off position. Cable feed will not wotk with it energized. If this is not the case, I would double check the hookups behind the bedroom set.
Bingo
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 05:45 PM   #7
grampachet
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8045
Our 3000RK looks like it could be wired the same. However, there was a dead short from the bed TV to the living TV. When I took this back the dealer (CW) rewired it by running a new coax down from the bed TV (through the 'washer/dryer closet') and up to the living TV. I was told that would work fine unless I had a satellite and then it would have to be redone. I wasn't happy but since I don't ever plan on a satellite I accepted their "fix".
grampachet is offline   Reply With Quote