Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 05-23-2008, 08:26 AM   #1
mikeandcarol
Established Member

M.O.C. #6655
Delamination

I've got a problem that probably has no satisfatory solution. I have some delamination of the fiberglass siding and the underlayment (plywood?)on the right side (facing forward) between the refridgerator vent/access and below. Some time ago I had water intruding into the livingroom from under the refridgerator. This happaned after a sever rainstorm apparently blew rain through the outside refer vent. A analysis discoverd that when the mfg calked the refer he left a dam that caused the water to back up and flow through the refer and flood the livingroom. The service dept where I bought the trailer cut out the old calk and recalked and faired the calking so any water will flow out under the vent cover. Now a few months later (after warrentee?)I see the lamination. Is this something I should take to Keystone? It looks to me the only way to fix the problem is to cut out the affected siding and replace it. BIG JOB.

mikeandcarol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 09:48 AM   #2
bruiser
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #6319
Yes, it is a big job and one that I would recommend you have done by an expert. In our case, we noticed delamination just to the right of the entrance door on our first trip out - as soon as the sun hit that side, the bubbles appeared. Keystone authorized the repair through our dealer who had it done at a shop specializing in this type of repair. The repair shop cut out a section of the siding - approximately 3' X 5' and discovered that there was no adhesive applied in this area when the trailer was manufactured. They repaired the section, including replacing the decals. I'm not sure how they did it, but you can't tell that it was repaired - excellent job. The invoice from this shop to our dealer was $2,200.00. Kudos to Keystone who, according to the dealer, accepted responsibility and paid for the repair.

From your posting, it sounds like you suspect the delamination problem may have been caused by moisture infiltration from a problem that was initially corrected while still under warranty. If this is the case, I would go to your dealer and have them confirm this and to look to Keystone to make (authorize) the necessary repairs.
bruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 03:45 PM   #3
sailer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6977
If i were you i would call keystone and make an appoiment to let them see it at the fall rally in goshen and get it fixed ,, you can't belive what they do in this 1 week rally and i feal you have a good chance of getting it fixed and have a lot of fun at the rally in goshen,,,,sailer
sailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 03:47 PM   #4
sailer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6977
I have no idea where you are from but nailbender came from calf ,,,,sailer
sailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 04:31 PM   #5
melnjoy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1935
Keystone took care of our delamimation problem. Our rig was three years old at the time.
Mel
melnjoy is offline   Reply With Quote