Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 12-10-2007, 04:21 AM   #1
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Kitchen slide

While cleaning this AM Helen noted that the floor near the wall side of the stove is being torn up by the slide. It never ends. I will have to look up the adjustment procedure.. So problems on this winter trip thus far,,Leaky hydraulic hose fittings, Freezing fridg, slide tearing up kitchen floor.The failure list grows. we had a list of 26 problems that we took to the service center in April 06 not counting the failures that occured on our last winter trip that were taken care of by the vendors or mobile repair services. The failures that occured prior to this years trip (Blown brake seals) among them and the failures that were corrected by myself because we had no other choice,leaky pipes, loose connections, doors falling off. That would be about 50/55 failures in 19 months and in my book NO failure is Minor..A failure is a failure.. However , I do not think that would be any better or any worse than any other brand used like we use the camper.. Such is life on the road in a RV. This is our FIRST slide problem.

richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 05:04 AM   #2
ole dude
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7128
What a great attitude--what a guy.
ole dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 06:24 AM   #3
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
I agree with ole dude. Not many people could keep such a positive attitude with that many problems. Ususlly it results in rants about the manufacturer(s). Such an attitude says a lot about the person.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 09:52 AM   #4
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Try not to burst my bubble but I think the list of issues we have had are pretty much normal for the way we use the camper. We did a lot of homework on campers, all brands, and considering the quality and workmanship in the RV industry we expected many failures and I will note that ALL the failures we have had can be directly related to poor workmanship.There are no surprises here. We feel we got exactly what we paid for which is why we did not get a higher priced camper..It would have been no better. I can not rant against the manufacturer because I am getting exactly what I expected. We are not surprised to see the kitchen floor being torn up...It has been reported here on the forum many times....Chances are it will happen to you.
Old 12-10-2007, 10:15 AM   #5
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
My vinyl got tore.
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 11:28 AM   #6
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
Our vinyl tore too... Got a new awing and that is tearing too.... If that is the worst of our problems with our 3475 after living in it 24/7 for almost three years and traveling over 60,000 miles with it in tow, including Alaska, Mexico and lots of roads in between, we will not complain at all... We did have some drops of oil leaking from our slide last year but an e-mail Lippert and we had a brand new motor within a week. I am sure knocking on wood when I say that.

We do have a crack in the siding that everyone is crossing their fingers on because it is not the usual frame flex problems but we had a quick fix done and we will wait and see what happens....

We had to change the tries at 50,000 miles... Oops, didn't really have to but we felt it was time and the other day we put a new oven vent on because I didn't like the way the other one was yellowing...

Com'on Angel.... Keep sitting on our shoulder.

Bill and Helen
adelmoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 04:11 PM   #7
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Just be careful of ANYTHING that rolls under that kitchen carpet ledge or even something that gets stuck on the underside of the slide. As the kitchen slide tips in to move, the weight on top of the foreign object will tear heck out of that lino. Ours has a mark just from a wood splinter that was stuck in the underside and rubbed on the lino each time it passed.

I think somebody lost the lino from a battery that rolled under there.
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 01:48 AM   #8
Ormee and Ginette
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #262
Had this problem last year and brought the RV back to my dealer, he said that the "OUTRIGGERS" were not made strong enough under the kitchen slide out... OK where are these OUTRIGGERS, look under your RV where the slide outs are and just outboard of the main frame you will see triangluar braces made out of soup can metal, these things support your slideouts when they are retracted... So as you go rolling down the highway and hit a bump (plenty of those in Quebec) your slide out is also moving up and down and pounding these outriggers... The final fix was to remove kitchen slide out and straighten out the existing outriggers and re-enforce them with welded 1" square steel tubing... Also the dealer added extra outriggers in between the existing ones made of the 1" square steel tubing on the kitchen slideout, since this is the heaviest slideout...
Ormee and Ginette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 05:46 AM   #9
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
I wonder why the Keystone design enginneers did not think of that??
Old 12-11-2007, 06:34 AM   #10
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Ormee and Ginette

We had this problem early on with our 3295. Got my brother to do exactly what they did for your rig. Welded the one inch tubing onto the "soup can" triangle steel they have down there. That did the trick. No problems in the three years since we fixed it. By the way we did not remove the slide to do the fix. We did have to have the slide adjusted but since it was a manufacturing defect Keystone covered the cost of all adjusting. I didn't even ask about covering the welding stuff. I wanted it done and done right. Since my brother was doing it I knew it would be done the right way.

Dennis
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 06:45 AM   #11
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bsmeaton

Just be careful of ANYTHING that rolls under that kitchen carpet ledge or even something that gets stuck on the underside of the slide. As the kitchen slide tips in to move, the weight on top of the foreign object will tear heck out of that lino. Ours has a mark just from a wood splinter that was stuck in the underside and rubbed on the lino each time it passed.

I think somebody lost the lino from a battery that rolled under there.
Good idea, something else to check...thanks.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 01:17 PM   #12
rickfox
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2959
For what its worth, bringing in the kitchen slide is always a 2-person job for us - 1-person if I really stretch.

As the kitchen slide starts coming in, I always push against the top of the slide causing it to tilt upward some. This takes a fair amount of force, but fairly easy. This causes a small amount of clearance between the bottom of the slide and the tile floor as the slide moves in. I'm keeping my fingers crossed, but thus far the kitchen linoleum is all in one piece with no scratchs or tears.

Ive got enough problems - don't need torn linoleum.
rickfox is offline   Reply With Quote