Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 08-13-2008, 01:39 PM   #1
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Kitchen Slide 3400 Water Leak Source??

I know that this has been discussed before, but I have a weak wi-fi connection and cannot do a search. We have sprung a leak of some sort beneath the kitchen slide in the 3400. We had a day full of heavy rain and it seems like that in the previous forum discussions that the source was possibly the fridge vents. I took the panel off under the fridge and can see water dripping from the wires which obviously leads me to believe the source is up higher. I took the bottom vent off outside the rig behind the fridge and can see no evidence of water. Is it possible for water running off the slide topper to enter the uppermost vent?? Should I look somewhere else?? Those who have remedied this or a similar situation, we would appreciate the steps to take. Thanks all!
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 02:38 PM   #2
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Bingo, Don't rule out the slide seals on the side. Did you have them all turned out?
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 02:55 PM   #3
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Bingo,
WayneM put an "L" piece of aluminum at the bottom of each vent for the fridge. He then caulked it so water would not collect inside. Based on your description I would suggest that.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 02:56 PM   #4
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Bingo,
I posted on this back in June/July but can't seem to find it now. Thanks to JimF I fixed our leak. Here is what was happening.

If you take the outside vent cover off of the refrigerator (TOP and BOTTOM COVER) and take a look at the plastic frame that the cover attaches to. At the bottom, when they inserted screws it pulls the inside of the frame downward so any water coming down around the sides or any place has no place to drain to the outside so it finds the path of least resistance nad get under the back lip of the frame. What we did to fix it was:

Go to a hardware store and pick up a 48" piece of 1/2 inch aluminum angle iron. Measure the lenght of the bottom lip. Mine was 21 inches, and cut the aluminum to fit. Take out the bottom screws holding the plastic frame in and the first screw up on each side from the bottom. Place one edge of the angle iron under the inside lip and set it in place. Replace the screws you took out. You may notice that they are rusty. this is from the water seeping down. I used silicone calk in each screw hole before replacing the screws. On the right angle of the angle iron, and against the lip it is sitting under, place a good bead of silicon calk. At the ends where the angle iron ends, build a dam of silicon.

Walk away happy!

The next rain we had after that did not show any water in the kitchen on the 3400RL. Before that, we had wet carpet between the stove and the refrigerator. We pulled everything out and put a fan blowing in to dry the carpet before the next rain storm. Never had any more leaks and carpet is staying dry.

Here is the 21 inch aluminum angle iron:

Here is one of the finished pictures with silicone in place:

Here are the rusty wood screws:

Here are the two refer vents on the 3400RL:

It's an easy job.

Good luck.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 03:10 PM   #5
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Thanks Wayne, I knew I remembered someone having a fix. Now the only decision left is a tough one. There is no more rain forecast for the last three days of my vacation, so I have to simply decide if I want to fix the leak now or fix the leak later.....Hmmmmmm!! This could really be a difficult, time-consuming decision......Let's see, beach time or repair time.....At least I have the pics now when I decide to do the fix and I definitely appreciate that!! Whoops, I think I gave away the results of my lengthy decision making process there!!
Bingo
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 03:21 PM   #6
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Get up early, early one morning (after buying the angle iron) and you will be done in less than an hour. Then go rinse off in the beach water.

OR, smell mold and mildew until you get it fixed!

Edited: You can even do it with the DW holding a flash light. Just as well get her involved, right?
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote