Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 04-12-2011, 08:18 AM   #1
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
Want to know which direction to aim your antenna?

When we go to a new location I am not always sure where the broadcast towers are. This product from King Controls takes all the guesswork out of aiming the antenna for the best reception. Simply turn it on, rotate the antenna to find the strongest signal and then tune your tv.
http://www.kingcontrols.com/surelock...nal_finder.asp

8.1al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 11:00 AM   #2
ole dude
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7128
Good info, thanks.
ole dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 11:15 AM   #3
drsmart
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10690
Awesome. We're fairly new to digital 'through the air' TV reception and love the picture and sound quality. This SureLock Digital TV Signal Finder will be great
drsmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 12:42 PM   #4
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Charlie, Is this for the Sat Stations like DirecTV or are you talking over the air digital stations????
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 01:30 PM   #5
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
Phil, I knew what I was talking about, didn't you? Seriously, I should have been more specific, this is for over the air tv, not satellite. Thanks for prompting me
8.1al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 02:35 PM   #6
illapah
Montana Master

M.O.C. #666
Did a quick search, seems Amazon is the cheapest so far. $31.82 & $6.34 Shipping = $38.16
illapah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 07:44 PM   #7
firetrucker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2165
Try this site TV Fool

Bob
firetrucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 01:45 AM   #8
Johnnyg
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9710
I was about to buy a digital signal finder from Winegard but it's a bit costly.
Just wondering has anyone bought it and if they think it's worth the extra jingle?
http://www.campingworld.com/shopping...al-meter/55642
Johnnyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 03:05 AM   #9
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
John,
You peeked this technogeek's interest.
The Winegard SensarPro TV Signal Meter($69.99) has many more functions than the SureLock® Digital TV Signal Finder($39.95)

Disclaimer, I have not used either so I can not testify on their performance. However scanning their spec sheets I will post my opinion.

There is at least one WEB based TV signal locater called TV FOOL (tks Firetrucker). Edit: - Here is another Antenneweb. You enter your address or coordinates off your GPS and it will tell you the approximate strength and direction of the TV stations in your area.

When you arrive or better yet before you leave your last location you log onto TV FOOL and get your antenna point information for you next stop. When you arrive you point your antenna in that direction then let your TV scan the channels. Once the scan is done you use your TV signal meter to tweak the antenna on the strongest signal if needed. This is all you really need.

The SureLock® is a basic add on unit that would help those who want to just find the strongest signal in a quadrant and point the antenna at that station before turning on the TV. This one is the simplest to operate because it does not have the added features. Using the TV FOOL and the SureLock® allows you to point the antenna at the stronger signals before you use the TV Scan to tune the TV, which still has to be done.

The Winegard SensarPro has the ability to scan between channel 2 - 51. The ability to scan the 2 - 51 channels means it has to have a tuner and it also needs a more sophisticated computer to perform those functions. Therefore the extra cost. This one can also control the Gain of the amplifier. Without playing with it I am not sure if it is critical but it can help if you are sitting right on a TV transmitter which would not happen often. You still have to have the TV scan the channel before you can use it.

I would probably buy the Winegard SensarPro and use TV FOOL as I described above because the Winegard has more electronic toys.

One more comment is the Surelock® does not mount into the wall and can be used on any coax attachment where the Winegard SensarPro seems to be designed to replace the existing plate that has the black button to turn on and off the antenna amplifier for over the air or Cable reception.

I hope this helps.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 03:23 AM   #10
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Perhaps someone can further my education here. All of these devices are indicators of signal strength. I would think that the signal strength would also be related to the direction of each stations broadcast tower. If I have broadcast towers in different directions, how can this signal meter help?? If I am at a campground and I have four towers at N,E,S, and W, it wouldn't seem the signal indicator would help with a directional antenna??? I have been at some campgrounds where I have to use different antenna locations for different stations, therefore I use the signal meter built in to the television to hone in on each channels strongest directional signal. Am I missing something here?????
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 03:28 AM   #11
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bncinwv

Perhaps someone can further my education here. All of these devices are indicators of signal strength. I would think that the signal strength would also be related to the direction of each stations broadcast tower. If I have broadcast towers in different directions, how can this signal meter help?? If I am at a campground and I have four towers at N,E,S, and W, it wouldn't seem the signal indicator would help with a directional antenna??? I have been at some campgrounds where I have to use different antenna locations for different stations, therefore I use the signal meter built in to the television to hone in on each channels strongest directional signal. Am I missing something here?????
Bingo
Bingo,
You are right on track. When you change channels you have to point the antenna at that tower. These add on boxes make it easier getting the antenna on that tower to get the strongest signal for that channel. You do not have to go to the TV menu and then down to the signal strength meter. Some TVs do not have the best signal strength meter.
It is just how much you want to pay or be inconvenienced.
Old 04-14-2011, 03:34 AM   #12
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
How does the signal meter know which antenna to look at is what is befuddling me?? It may be picking up the signal from a different tower and telling me I have a great signal, yet I have no picture?? At least on the tv, I know the signal is related to the channel that I have on at the time (I think??). I am having a hard time understanding when I could use this reliably. Guess I will pass on this new technology.
Bingo
Old 04-14-2011, 03:47 AM   #13
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bncinwv

How does the signal meter know which antenna to look at is what is befuddling me?? It may be picking up the signal from a different tower and telling me I have a great signal, yet I have no picture?? At least on the tv, I know the signal is related to the channel that I have on at the time (I think??). I am having a hard time understanding when I could use this reliably. Guess I will pass on this new technology.
Bingo
Bingo,
Great question and it gets into the value of having the Wineguard Sensapro. That one does let you see the strength of channel specific up to channel 51.
Getting back to your point, the basic meter does not know what channel it is looking at. That is correct. It only knows the strength of the signal coming in. The odds of two towers being in line with each other is slim but does happen.
The signal meter does not know which tower to look at so you help it by pointing the antenna in that towers direction and then use the signal meter to tweak the antenna so it is pointing at the strongest signal. If you are being overloaded by a strong signal in the same beam width of your antenna as the weaker signal you want to tune then you have to use the TV or the Wineguard Sensapro.
I hope this helps.
Old 04-14-2011, 03:53 AM   #14
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
That definitely helps since I and others now understand the difference in the meters. I still think that the value of the meter is such that it is not a priority at this time, but as with anything and everything, others may differ. Thanks John.
Bingo
Old 04-14-2011, 07:17 AM   #15
illapah
Montana Master

M.O.C. #666
The winegard is out for me as I replaced my sensar antenna with 'Jack".
From the Winegard site:
The SensarPro TV Signal Meter will NOT work outside the United States and will ONLY work with Winegard Sensar antennas.
illapah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 11:04 AM   #16
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by illapah

The winegard is out for me as I replaced my sensar antenna with 'Jack".
From the Winegard site:
The SensarPro TV Signal Meter will NOT work outside the United States and will ONLY work with Winegard Sensar antennas.
Illapah,
The comment about it not working outside of the United States makes sense in that all of its features may not work but it will still send power to the antenna amplifier and that function would work.
Here is what I found in the SensarPro manual
Quote:
quote:The SensarPro works with all amplified Sensar antennas and replaces your existing Winegard power supply. The SensarPro makes it easy to find your local programming while also providing precise tuning tools for advanced users.
Note the comment about replaces your existing Winegard power supply. Since that basic Winegard power supply is powering your Jack antenna head I feel this box would work with it also. I plan on using just that, the Jack and the SensarPro. I do not read that it "DOES NOT" work with other amplified antennas. I could be wrong.

Old 11-21-2011, 02:56 AM   #17
hamcamper
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #768
I have an app on my smart phone which tells me what direction, what network, and how far away any tv signals are. I have a small mark on the inside rotator to know where my antenna is pointed. A compass on my phone tells me where to point the antenna. Works good and costs nothing.
hamcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 04:13 PM   #18
sfish
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10234
Great concept. Can you tell us what app it is I would definately download it.

Thanks

Steve
sfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 06:21 AM   #19
boylanag
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5965
Also, this is a FCC site that you put in the zip code or address where you are and it will tell you which direction to point your antenna. All you need is a compass. Works for me and I am not to tech savvy. - Jim
http://transition.fcc.gov/mb/engineering/maps/
boylanag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 03:20 PM   #20
Recumbent
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10457
Thanks boylanag I have put that site in my favorites
Recumbent is offline   Reply With Quote