Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 05-04-2008, 02:21 PM   #1
zechinova
Established Member

M.O.C. #8008
Crack in shell

We just purchased a used 2002 Monty and at time of inspection did not notice any problems but after driving from MN to OR we noticed a crack in the outer shell located on driver side, near the seam, under the bed, by the propane tank right where it curves to allow room for the truck. It is under the bed and is "L" shaped and only 3-4 inches. You can tell by my description I'm new to fifth wheels. We drilled tiny holes where the crack ends to keep it from growing (hopefully). Any advice on what we need to do and if this means we have a serious problem. We had an RV "expert" look at the vehicle and he said it was in great shape, sound and good condition. This is no water damage as it is on under side with only the main I Beam on the inner side. Can we fix it or need to go to repair shop? Any estimate on how much it will cost?

zechinova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 03:05 PM   #2
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
You did the proper thing to stop the crack from spreading. Without a picture I can't give you any advice on what else to do. We had the front end of our 2000 fixed last June at a cost to us of $3150 but that was well worth it. Our front end is more solid now than anything Keystone has manufactured.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 03:34 PM   #3
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110
Hi, I hope you get many enjoyable years out of your Montana. We also have a tiny crack as you have mentioned. However it is located on the front side just as you have described on your unit under the area of the bed. I have asked at the dealership about it and I was told that it wasn’t anything to worry about. It still lingers in the back of my mind though.

In my opinion I believe it is a result of being flexed back and forth under stress from when the landing gear has been raised or lowered during hook up to a truck. Perhaps equal pressure hasn’t been applied evenly on both jacks as the weight was shifted from the truck to the jacks, one side to the other and visa versa. It’s also located in a very small surface area where I believe the stress and flexing would have a greater impact. As I transfer weight to the truck I can see this crack open up ever so slightly. When I place the load on the landing gear I see it close back up.

This is only my thoughts and my opinion. I haven’t had the frame looked at or anything like that. The unit pulls great and it is the best towing combination I have ever had in our travels.

Take care!

Old 05-04-2008, 03:43 PM   #4
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Bill,
Usually the cracks occur due to flexing of the chassis when hooked up to the tow vehicle. That's why we had ours beefed up with extra bracing and gussets.

Orv
Old 05-04-2008, 04:00 PM   #5
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110
Had you developed any cracks?
Old 05-04-2008, 05:08 PM   #6
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Bill-N-Donna

Had you developed any cracks?
Yes, our crack looked just like yours only a little longer. We had one at the top left and top right with a little one at the bottom right of the bedroom slideout. In 2004, Keystone did a repair but it didn't hold. When we took it in to Truck Builders in Marion, IA to have it repaired, we found that there were gussets needed between the chassis members near the king pin, as well as bolts needed to bolt the front part of the chassis to the rest of the chassis on both sides in the propane tank areas.

Yours looks like you will need frame flex repair. Keep an eye on the area that goes down from the overhang to the bottom of the rig on both sides. When you're hooked up, if you have too much frame flex you will notice that the molding is pulling away from the caulk.

Our unit had 1 3/4" frame flex and there should only be 1/4" of flex.

Hope this gives you some help.

Orv