Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 10-09-2005, 04:25 PM   #1
Montana_4699
Established Member

M.O.C. #4699
OK I Confess

So I got your attention.

New guy here. Kathy and I will pick-up our new '06 3400RL next Saturday the 15th at 10:00 am.

We have never owned a 5th wheel and boy do we need help. What are the first things we should learn or not do? Any help will be greatly appriciated.

Our TV is a 2006 Chevy Silverado 2500HD with Duramax diesel and Allison transmission.

Montana_4699 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2005, 05:20 PM   #2
FredG
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1309
Peter,

Welcome to the MOC! I'm sure there will be plenty of people posting advice, but here's a quick list to start with:

1 - When hooking up, make sure the jaws on the hitch clamp around your trailer's pin. After hooing up, I usually look to make sur eI see both jaws and that they are fully closed. Some people have painted them to make it easier to see.

2 - When backing up use a spotter. I've gotten pretty good at maneuvering in reverse, but I will not back up unless my wife is out there with her FRS radio to make sure no kids, pets, or poles run behind the RV.

3 - Watch your height. Montanas are tall trailers. Make sure you know your overall height while hooked up to the tow vehicle and watch the bridges. I usually give myself an extra 3 inches in case the bridge markings are incorrect or if the road was recently repaved, etc.

4 - The most important thing....Have Fun and be safe! Enjoy your new unit and truck.

There's a lot of other tips throughout this forum. I recommend that you just browse around and read anything of interest.

Fred
FredG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2005, 05:32 PM   #3
mike johnson
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3382
hello,the most important thing is to be very carefull and take your time hooking -up, everything else will come to you, but never take anything for granted when your un-hooking or hooking -up.good luck,and remember take your time.
mike johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2005, 05:48 PM   #4
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Congrats, Peter and Kathy! You got the same rig Cheryl and I plan on buying next May. The 3400 is one of the most popular floor plans. I know you'll love it! This makes me want to maybe move up my plans... but I know our turn is coming. My advice is to read through these threads as often as your schedule allows. I can't you how valuable the info is that you are going to get here. "A wise man learns from OTHERS' mistakes".

Again, welcome!
Dave
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2005, 07:29 PM   #5
Kathi
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3113
The first thing I learned here is that there are NO DUMB QUESTIONS! And be sure to ask away, because I have found that I get my answer quicker here then if I were to call the dealer. It is just amazing all the help you will find here. And like Mike Johnson said "take your time".
Kathi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2005, 07:35 PM   #6
Dave e Victoria
Montana Master

M.O.C. #635
OH BOY, Be careful going around those turns, ALWAYS swing out. The fifth wheel connection to your truck causes it to turn inboard of the truck's track. This will get you whenever you relax your attention. Get paranoid about it -- right now. Never turn in too close. It will bite you. Where? curbs going into Wal-Marts, Fueling islands (They are below your mirrors) stuff parked in the storage area where you keep your rig, center islands when you are making a U-Turn, mailboxes, etc., etc.

All of this is not to scare you but to help you learn from MY MISTAKES.

Be careful out there
Dave
Dave e Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2005, 07:42 PM   #7
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Congratulations,

Find a nice large empty parking lot and practice corners, backing up, backing into parking space perpendicular to your direction of travel. Always know where your rear trailer tires are on all turns.

You will need to pull farther past a parking space than you think you should to back into the spot.

Practice, do not be afraid to pull ahead and start again, no matter who is watching.

Enjoy, have fun, be safe and tow safe.
Good luck.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2005, 01:00 AM   #8
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
First and Foremost be sure you are hooked up correctly. Nothing more embarrassing than dropping the 5er on the bed rails of your tow vehicle. There was an RVer at the Great Lakes rally that can vouch for that.
Secondly..Learn to haul it and not just straight ahead down the Interstate. Knowing how to go in other directions besides forward is very important.
In your travels you will be dealing with..
There are some narrow, windy, hilly back roads getting into and out of some of the campgrounds. And getting into and out of some camp sites can require some tricky maneuvering on your part. Remember there are a lot of old campgrounds out there that were built when the biggest trailers were under 25 feet in length and had no slides. It is ALWAYS best to get out of the truck and very carefully look over the area. Know where all obstacles are such as fire rings, picnic tables, electrical and water hook up, sewer line caps, trees and shrubs, etc. When backing it is important to have a spotter back there. Your spotter can make life so much easier.
In most situations backing up a 5th wheel can be quite easy but it can also be a real challenge. As was pointed out earlier, find yourself an empty parking lot. Using traffic cones set up an obstacle course requiring you to do some maneuvering and not just going forward but backing as well.
Cornering, especially right turns, can sometimes be intimidating. Give yourself plenty of room by making the turn wide enough and keep an eye on the idiot behind you as he may try to pass you.
Gas stations with the pumps not always in the best location to maneuver a 5th wheel. Before committing yourself be sure you will be able to get back out to the road. Be ultra careful when maneuvering around gas pumps. A turn cut too short could be dangerous.
Hi-way Rest Areas where others seem to park where ever they darn well please. As you enter a rest area, always watch for the signs telling you which parking area to use. If the sign is not specifically posted for RVs your best bet is to use the truck parking areas.
Parking lots such as Wal*Mart or restaurants can always be a challenge and ALWAYS leave your self a way out. The best place to be is away from the rest of the traffic at the far end of the lot. This will require you to walk a distance to the entrance but after sitting behind the wheel a little exercise will do you good.
Know your height. Clearance is very important and not just bridges watch for tree limbs, signs, wires, etc. The rubber roof or the air conditioner can be very expensive items to replace.

Finally, this learning curve is not just for the DH but also for the DW as well. Both of you should be able to do whatever it takes to get that rig from point A to point B.

Some of the above may sound intimidating but believe me it is not. After a few trips of hauling that Monty around it will become second nature to you both.

AND Above all else......ENJOY your new MONTY!!!
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2005, 02:36 AM   #9
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
GET A PDI LIST AND USE IT! See other recent threads on this forum!!

ENJOY!!

and CONGRATS!!
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2005, 03:45 AM   #10
Gypsy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #111
Hi Peter & Kathy,

Welcome to the MOC Forum and the RVing life!

I'm not an official promoter for any of the following, but I have found some resources I can recommend - things I wish I'd known about when I was a newbie. I've learned lots of things by trial and error. If I had taken advantages of these services, I would have avoided some of the errors and learned more safely and quickly.

One is Dick Reed's RV driving school www.rvschool.com. Dick and his driving instructors spend two days with both drivers in your own rig, giving you individual instruction. They are all RVers and have specific experience with 5th wheels, motorhomes, etc.

Another is RV Life on Wheels www.rvlifeonwheels.com. This is a 3-5 day (depending on location) intensive course on RVing with professional instructors giving information-packed seminars. Its leader is Gaylord Maxwell, affiliated with Trailer Life, but the courses aren't commercial and there are no vendors like at other rallies. I've attended the conference at the Univ. of Idaho two years in a row, because there's so much to learn in concurrent seminars I couldn't cover it all at one time. I might even attend a third time - some people go year after year.

My final recommendation is to join the Escapees RV Club www.escapees.com (aka "SKP"). This group holds two national rallies ("Escapades") each year, plus there are regional chapters that hold their own rallies throughout the US and Canada. The national rallies have commercial vendors where you can find all kinds of wonderfull 'goodies' to use in your RV life, as well as educational seminars taught by volunteers, most of whom are very knowledgeable and helpful. There are also dozens of special interest groups ("Birds of a Feather") that are nationwide and share activities such as biking, hiking, geocaching, kayaking, boondocking, etc. There are groups for solo travelers, baby boomers, Habitat for Humanity, emergency recovery, etc. The camaraderie is the most important part of this club for me, but there are also campground discounts, SKP RV parks to visit or even buy into when you want to slow down your travel in the future, and a great magazine.

And, as others have recommended, ask every question you can on this forum and in campgrounds when you meet experienced RVers. I've never found anyone who wasn't happy to help with their knowledge and a helping hand whenever I needed it. It's a great life! Welcome to it!
Gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2005, 04:31 AM   #11
Montana_1774
Established Member

M.O.C. #1774
Having read the comments on what and what not to do, I found them to be very informative. However; the one I did not see was BEFORE you hook/unhook. MAKE SURE YOU HAVE PLACED CHOCKS IN FRONT/BACK OF THE TRAILOR TIRES. Otherwise you may make a nasty dent in the truck bed. I know from first hand experience. Take your time and enjoy the unit.
Montana_1774 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2005, 06:04 AM   #12
ken
Montana Master

M.O.C. #345
Congratulations Peter and Kathy
Glenn and others have pretty well summed it up on how to pull a 5th wheel. The 3400 is 37ft long as our 3475 model. So swing wide to allow the rear wheels go stay on the pavement and not go over the curbs. Thats not good for tires. Secondly, watch the height of your Montana as it is very high. When going onto stations for fuel, watch the overhangs. My wife uses a small radio to tell me where to go when backing up. She also watches for tree limbs that could do damage to the rig. We have just about the same rig and truck so if there is any more questions about anything, just let us know. Enjoy you new Montana. This is our second one and we have enjoyed both.
Ken and Velda
Dahlgren Va
2005 3475 Montana
2005 2500HD GMC 4x4 Crew cab, Duramax with edge and attitude
ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2005, 06:22 AM   #13
Montana_4532

M.O.C. #4532
WELCOME!! Peter and Kathi... from an ex-pacific northwesterner, sort of. We sold our home on Samish Island, just west of Mount Vernon, Washington, to winter in Bastrop, Texas where our only grandchildren live. However, we will return to Samish Island every June-Sept when it gets HOT in Texas. We've been through Wilsonville many times. My aunt and uncle lived in Otis and then Lincoln City during their retirment years and we traveled from Samish Island to visit them.
Myrna and I Have an '04 3400RL and we love it. We sold our home and began fulltiming in May of this year. I'm sure you have already 'fallen in love' with yours also!!
Myrna began her 'citizenship' in MOC before we ever bought our Montana. We are soooooo grateful for everything we have learned here. As several have already said, there are no dumb questions and the replies are extremely helpful.
I would strongly encourage you to search for the PDI (pre-delivery inspection) thread and print 2 copies. One for you and Kathi to read before you pick up your 3400RL, the other to give to your dealer. As suggested in that thread, we gave our dealer his copy several days before we took delivery so he knew all of the 'points' we wanted to cover when we came in. Our PDI took 1 - 1 1/2 hours instead of the usual 20-30 minutes. We even used a cam-corder so we could review the information later.
Peter, we still consider ourselves to be a 'new guy' also..... you've already gotten some good tips from some of the veterans, and I'm sure you'll get many more!! These guys and gals a the greatest!!
But, one thing that has helped me learn to 'pull' my Montana is: when turning right - hug the left side of the lane and turn right; or, when turning left - hug the right side of the lane and turn left. The same thing is true on winding roads: on the left curves, hug the right side of the lane and vis-versa. I think I finally caught on, the goal is to stay in 'your' lane travelling and turning!! And, use your mirrors to see how you are 'tracking'....

...again "welcome" and enjoy, and stay safe.
Montana_4532 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2005, 07:35 AM   #14
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Welcome Peter and Kathi
We hope you will love your 3400 as much as we do. You have received a lot of good advice. Read all the instruction manuals that come with the Montana and your hitch and brake controller. One thing I wanted to mention is your hitch may not be a Reese and therefore may not have 2 jaws. Whatever brand you have be sure to read the manual. If you don't get a manual, you can usually find one on the internet. Enjoy.
Happy trails..............
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2005, 07:36 AM   #15
Montana_4221
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4221
In addition to what others have said I will echo what Bobby posted be sure and chock your wheels. The kingpin box can be very unforgiving if it comes in contact with you tailgate or any other part of your truck,even if the trailer only moves a few inches. I have to learn most things the hard way. Get a good check list and use it. It can save you some heartache down the road.
I also try to avoid setting up at night.

Also welcome to MOC. I know you will enjoy your 5'er. The 3400rl is the only other unit my wife would have considered besides the 3295rk that we decided on.
Happy camping
Montana_4221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2005, 05:06 PM   #16
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Congratulations on the new Montana! And welcome aboard. You got a lot of great advice. Don't be afraid to ask questions. That's how we all learned. That and by making mistakes. When I saw the subject I thought this would be another of those threads where we all confess our mistakes so new folks can learn from them.

One thing I'd recommend in addition to all the great advice is to check the level bubble (fore-aft) before you drop the landing gear. If the nose is high you will need to bring it down lower than when you drop the landing gear. So you will need to run the landing gear down enough to give you room to bring the frontend down after you move the truck out of the way. Otherwise you'll have to hitch up again and start over in order to get the Montana level from front to back. Been there, made that mistake. This is one you don't make a second time. This ONLY happens, of course, when others are watching.

Also, as others said, take your time. That includes backing into a sight slowly and making only very small steering corrections. Make another small one if needed. Etc.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2005, 06:51 PM   #17
werhapy
Established Member

M.O.C. #4439
We are also at the learning stage and have found it helpful to develop checklists for each major operation: setup, prep for breaking camp, and hitch up, connections to utilities, Etc.

The little things like tieing the cabinet doors, putting soap dispensers in the sinks not the cabinets, double checking clearance before moving slides either in or out, watching steps on the 2955 as you enter parking lots, and such all add to the basic check lists. The best are those that you add to as you live with your rig and really use every time.

Enjoy that new outfit!!
werhapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2005, 07:10 PM   #18
Ronnelly
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #794
That is one of the first things our dealer told us, also the campground we stayed at the first night; It is very important to use chocks on the front and back of your 5th wheel, trailer wheels. In all the travels we have done, we have seen so many 5th wheels parked and sometimes even on a slope with no chocks. We were told that one 5th wheel almost went into the lake, because of not using chocks.
Ronnelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2005, 01:06 AM   #19
virgil47
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3846
Congratulations, you are about to have some of the most fun in your life. We've been traveling now for about 7 weeks now and really love this life style.

In the beginning the thing that bit me hardest was stopping this monster. Our fiver weighs over 13000 lbs and I was going downhill toward a stoplight, started braking and downshifting and ended up in second gear with the binders down as hard and they would go, trailer tires dragging and slid halfway into the intersection. After that, I started my stops a lot earlier. Check your brakes before you pull out onto the road and then practice some downhill stops in a low traffic area.

You're gonna love this. ENJOY!!!
virgil47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2005, 06:01 AM   #20
capn chris
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2586
Send a message via AIM to capn chris Send a message via Yahoo to capn chris
This Forum has so many helpful people! We're newbies, too, in 2005, but we've already been to Alaska and back. Agree w/all of the suggestions. Make sure your tailgate is down!!! Learned that it's OK to use both lanes when making right turns (semis do it). Just go slow and watch for poles on the right curb etc.Look up as well as down in the mirrors when turning. When unhooking, back against a chock (tension) then chock in front. Hook up your power before releasing the hitch. Bummer to find a bad post after unhooked and have to move?! Paint your blocks for landing gear and stabilizer so you'll spot them before driving off. Carry extra 15A adapter and water Y-valve...you'll leave one behind somewhere. Finally, the anticipation anxiety of new 5th wheel experience goes away very quickly. They're a dream to tow and handle. Just take your time and enjoy!!!
capn chris is offline   Reply With Quote