Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 05-20-2020, 08:40 AM   #21
twindman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5651
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirvin0500 View Post
Thanks to all for your comments. Sorry it took so long to get back. Granted, our diesel was a 2005 F250, but the reasons we didn't like it had nothing to do with performance. Our issues were it was noisy, always smelled of diesel (duh), and was costly to maintain. For instance, an oil change (which included fuel filters) cost $140 vs. $30 for a gasser, two batteries to maintain and replace, etc. I completely understand torque/power. We plan to ful, time/part time. We will probably be gone 2-3 months at a time and travel from Alabama (where we live) across the country. It sounds like we really need a diesel even for the 373RD. From what I've read lately, the main difference between a F250 and a F350 (not talking dually) is the F350 has a beefier rear suspension.

I made a mistake when I bought my 2012 Silverado. I thought the 3500 was much more expensive than the 2500. Wrong. About a year later I checked and the difference was just $1500 or so. And for that you get 1500 lb more payload (more or less, as this keeps changing). I have to run about 400 lb over GVWR, tho both axles are good. It would be nice to not worry about being overweight and getting in trouble with the law.

On a different subject, I had a 2004 diesel. As you stated, it was kind of noisy and smelly. My 2012 has NO smell and not much noise PLUS it rides much better. From what I have heard, the new ones are even better.

Tom and Gail
2013 Mountaineer 362
2012 Silverado 2500
twindman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 09:09 AM   #22
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
BTW we did not get the diesel because we like diesels. We did not get the diesel dually because it is cool. We got it because we needed it to stay within all the parameters of the TV and RV.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 11:51 AM   #23
Mikendebbie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21044
I'll have to add praise for the exhaust brake on a diesel. It removes or reduces the white-knuckle aspect of coming down a hill/mountain. The exhaust braking I had on my 2003 C2500 was in a different universe than my 2014 C3500 and the truck I have now.
Aussie Gus + Texas Heeler Jimmy
Mikendebbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 03:28 PM   #24
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
Well, here's my thoughts, which are many, and this post will probably be long.

Let's compare the two campers under question:

373RD (High Country) click here

Shipping Weight 12848 lbs
Carrying Capacity 3152 lbs
Hitch 2530 lbs

3791RD click here

Shipping Weight 14119 lbs
Carrying Capacity 2481 lbs
Hitch 2620 lbs

Camper 373RD total weight capacity is 16,000 lbs
Camper 3791RD total weight capacity is 16,600 lbs

If loaded to max capacity (weight), both of these are going to be over any "comfortable" towing experience with a 250 gasser. If you are truly serious about either one of these, you are in 1 ton truck territory. The gasser 250 may pull it, but it will be one very disappointing experience.

About the models themselves. A lot of folks love the center island, but seriously look at both floor plans and ask yourself, which one has the most counter space. You will see the one without the island has more space. Plus, the stove top will have a cover which extends the space even more.

We have a 375FL and the kitchen sink, stove, and counter is set up like the High Country (no island) and the kitchen is great! Lots of space, lots of counter space, and everything ... everything ... in the kitchen is accessible with the slide in. The island chops up your space, and for us, it made us feel claustrophobic. It's something to think about.

With slides "in" neither camper will allow access to the rear living room without climbing over something. With slides "in" neither camper will allow access to the pantry cabinet.

The 3791RD has only 1 sink in the bathroom, but the toilet is turned, giving better room for men, when they sit down and spread the knees. (a gentleman's bathroom)

The 373RD has 2 sinks in the bathroom, but more limited space on the "thrown". (a lady's bathroom.)

Both showers are the same identical size.

The Montana has a higher MSRP price than the High Country.
The High Country is one foot longer than the Montana.

Both campers have 2 raised ends with the kitchen in the middle at the lowest level. It doesn't matter if you have the heat or the air conditioners on, you will never get all 3 floors the same temperature. Even in ours, that has a front living room and is open from the front to the kitchen, the difference in temperature is always different and noticeable, and we have no wall between the two rooms. Our floor plan, click here - 375FL

However, I do envy all the outside storage space in both of your models that we don't have on ours. Just beware, your campers are probably advertised 4 season up to zero degree weather .... and they are. But, about half the heat generated from the furnace goes into the outside storage areas and under belly to keep water lines and holding tanks from freezing. They use an incredible amount of propane to heat once the temperatures drop to around freezing, because electric heat from the heat pump or the electric fire place does not get pumped into the cargo bays or the underbelly. Only the furnace blows heat into them. And these Montanas use a LOT of propane to keep heated comfortably and to keep stuff from freezing up.

Well, enough of that.

About your tow vehicle? I pull mine with a 1 ton diesel dually crew cab. Suffice it to say, mountains, flats, ocean side, or desert, towing is sweet! And I'm on my 3 rd 3500 dually. The first was a gasser towing a much smaller travel trailer and I found myself having some hair raising disappointments with it. The next was a diesel dually, long bed crew too, and I never looked back.

First diesel, frame and doors rusted out.
Second diesel, the fiberglass fat fenders spider cracked and I was concerned one day they would just simply fall apart.
Third diesel (my current one), purchased brand new, all metal body, has the integrated brake controller, nice bells and whistles and tows like a beast!

You really need to rethink your tow vehicle if you really want to tow comfortable. You will be pulling a massive monster behind you! You truck needs not only the towing abilitty, but the ability to carry the load in the bed of the truck without squatting horrible, and also needs to be able to have enough braking power to stop both the truck and trailer (if and when) you have trailer brake failure. It takes only 1 time for the trailer 7 pin plug to unplug and then you have no brakes. What happens when that idiot moron pulls out right in front of you and you slam on the brakes? Can your truck alone stop the entire rig? You have only 1 try and maybe never again if the truck, by itself, can't stop you! Think about that. $150,000 to $175,000 dollars just slammed into another vehicle, and your fifth wheel is now in your back seat.
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 03:58 PM   #25
Theunz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18384
1. Absolutely go with a one ton, wether a SRW or a DRW, YOUR decision.

2. Take your wife and go test drive a new Diesel. I’ll bet you both will be impressed!
Old 05-20-2020, 04:08 PM   #26
Last2Die
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22986
With those weights that Dutchman posted are well within 3500 SRW gm, diesel at least with plenty of room to spare. Not sure about gassers.
2018 3920fb 2020 GMC Denali 3500 4x4 Duramax, 10 speed Allison. LB SRW, Firestone air bags with Airlift wireless onboard compressor. Anderson Ultimate Hitch. MX4 folding cover. 50gal titan in bed transfer tank. Onan 6500 lp genset installed by me ! Had: 2 HF 3500 Inverters with Parallel Kit
Last2Die is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 07:21 PM   #27
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
OP- There are 100,s of 1000,s of people towing anything and everything with what they want to. They figure, if I can hitch it up, I can tow it.

Well, let me tell you, there has NEVER bin a 3/4 ton / 2500 truck manufactured of ANY make that is legally capable of towing a trailer like you are considering.

Your pin weight alone with a gross of around 16600lbs will be 3320-4150 lbs. Clearly IMHO well into one ton dually territory.

If you want to punish yourself with a gas truck, so be it, but as soon as you hit any mountainous terrane, you anit going to like it.
beeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 07:46 PM   #28
Montana Man
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21963
OP, I suggest driving a new diesel. They are not the truck you had. If maintenance costs are an issue consider some new trucks oil change interval is about 14,000 miles and costs less than $140. If other maintenance costs are an issue consider a Ram. They tend to be less expensive for several reasons.
Old 05-21-2020, 04:44 AM   #29
bshgto
Montana Master

M.O.C. #16013
cAnt and WOn`t

Quote:
Originally Posted by richfaa View Post
BTW we did not get the diesel because we like diesels. We did not get the diesel dually because it is cool. We got it because we needed it to stay within all the parameters of the TV and RV.
This is like asking is it necessary to keep the wife happy if you want to walk around with a smile on your face. Just a no brainer to me.
F350 Ford Dually 4:10`s w/bags (payload 5595 lbs) Sumo Springs 63 gal aux tank
Reese Goosebox Mor/Ryde SRE 4000 X Factors Monroe shocks.... real smooth ride
bshgto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 06:13 AM   #30
Dirvin0500

M.O.C. #26285
Honest simple question.

My DW and I have owned Flagstaff 31RLSS for 15 years pulling it with our F150. It has been a great TT with very few problems. As we are very near retirement we decided to get a new truck and an RV to spend 2-3 months at a time on the road. I asked a very simple question hoping for honest answers concerning a TW (as I normally experience on these forums). Although I received some helpful honest answers, it seems I've received many demeaning, condescending, and patronizing responses. When someone asks an honest question, they don't expect to be put down by the very people they're asking help from.
Dirvin0500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 07:53 AM   #31
bshgto
Montana Master

M.O.C. #16013
cAnt and WOn`t

Quote:
My DW and I have owned Flagstaff 31RLSS for 15 years pulling it with our F150. It has been a great TT with very few problems. As we are very near retirement we decided to get a new truck and an RV to spend 2-3 months at a time on the road. I asked a very simple question hoping for honest answers concerning a TW (as I normally experience on these forums). Although I received some helpful honest answers, it seems I've received many demeaning, condescending, and patronizing responses. When someone asks an honest question, they don't expect to be put down by the very people they're asking help from.
No put down, but a basic and simple number comparison at the dealer that has the correct and factual tow ratings of any of the vehicles considered will tell you what you need not what you think you can get away with. But don`t talk minimums talk maximums as you will add lots of wieght and the times you have to travel with tanks full or paricialy full with a tank of water. It will happen. Better than some of the answers you will recieve on here like " I`ve been towing with that Ford Ranger for years with out a problem" Or I use the truck radials over the trailer specified ones without hitch" Opinions not facts. Yes they have gotten away with it , up to this point. You can purchase and push any vehicle past it`s design limits based on cost considerations and what you can talk your self into. Best one I`ve seen to date and I posted a pic somewhere on here is the guy on the ferry with us and others towing a 3 axle toy hauler that was obviously load for bear with a 250 gas short bed. Ask him "pulls real nice".... bull. It was drawing the back down something terrible, but he drove off the ferry and on down the road.
Again no put down, but I just a firm believer in this camping-towing game that if you want to play you have to pay.
F350 Ford Dually 4:10`s w/bags (payload 5595 lbs) Sumo Springs 63 gal aux tank
Reese Goosebox Mor/Ryde SRE 4000 X Factors Monroe shocks.... real smooth ride
bshgto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 07:56 AM   #32
Dirvin0500

M.O.C. #26285
I don't see your post as a put-down. Facts are exactly what I was looking for. Thank you very much.
Dirvin0500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 11:07 AM   #33
grass man
Established Member

M.O.C. #24971
I am towing a 3931 with a gas 6.2 Ford F 350. I towed from Delaware to Myrtle Beach for my first trip with both truck and trailer. I thought it towed fine but most road was pretty flat. Ran at 65 most of way. I learned to shift to lower gear when i see a hill coming up. I am sure a diesel will tow much better but this is what I have. Do not think I would want to tow same setup thru mountains but have no plans for that for now. Oil changes are $65.00. Truck barely squats when under load. I believe payload is 3900 pds. I would wait a year or two with that 7.3 gasser before I bought one. Just my opinion.
grass man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 01:18 PM   #34
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
250/2500 gassers normally have low CGWR. You might want to check all the numbers before a big investment.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 01:57 PM   #35
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477
Quote:
Welcome to the forum! You asked a question that always brings out some strong opinions - it is beat to death many times a year on the forum. You got a few answers that were not totally neighborly, but you also got a lot of good advice and data. Sometimes you need to take the good with a little of the bad.

"Life is too short to stay indoors, enjoy the ride!"
AZ Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 06:07 PM   #36
Charlie 3931fb
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25947
Quote:
My DW and I are preparing to retire in the next couple of years. We will be refreshing our current truck with a new one the first of Nov. We've decided on the 373RD or the 3791RD. If we were to buy an F250, would we absolutely have to buy a diesel? Have been looking at the new 7.3 L gasser with a 4.30 gearbox. It looks to be good. We had a diesel before and didn't like it as well as a gas model. Any suggestions are very welcome.
I didn't take the time to read all of the answer's. Its really up to what you like. I love diesel truck and all my truck are manual transmission. I have a 9 speed in my 3500 and a 13 speed in my 5500. I don't like it when a transmission is going to tell me what gear I want to be in. But that just me. Again I would say its all up to what you want.

Charlie
Charlie 3931fb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 10:04 PM   #37
Montana Man
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21963
Quote:
Actually, I did read all the responses. I don't see what you describe as many demeaning, condescending, and patronizing responses. Lots of opinion and down right good advice. There is a way to private message someone if you would like to address an individual.
Old 05-24-2020, 11:29 PM   #38
kingdaddy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10966
With the trailers you're looking at, I would strongly suggest a 1 ton dually (diesel of course). Could you get by with a gasser? Barely...as someone else said, (haven't checked the specs) you will be "under trucked" with a 3/4 ton especially a gasser.
If you're set on Ford, an F350 SRW diesel would get the job done, but a dually would be a better choice, again IMO.
Since I went from my '06 Ram 2500 Diesel Megacab to my current truck (see sig) it is like night and day. And my previous truck had custom suspension and plenty of power and torque, but towing with a dually 1 ton with a heavy trailer is the way to go. My .03

EDIT: OP, Just saw your comment regarding condescending and demeaning posts...sorry you took anything the wrong way, I honestly didn't see anything like that. I've been on this forum for 10 years and almost without exception, everyone is helpful and pretty darn polite.
Old 05-25-2020, 12:29 PM   #39
432bartman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26190
Diesel all the way especially with the one your are planning to get, that thing is 40.42' in length, dry weight 13,900 lbs., and maxes out with a GVWR of 16,800 lbs. My new Chevy 2500 Duramax pulls our 3560RL with absolutely no problem, and it weighs only 300 lbs. less than the one you want. The only addition I did to the truck was put airbags on it. The braking features of a diesel, exhaust brake are an added plus over a gas truck. I think you'd regret getting a gas truck the moment you hit your first hill.
432bartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 05:39 PM   #40
jeffba
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20753
When we were towing a 34 TT. We had a 3/4T gasser. We were less than 75% of towing capacity. Hated it. slightest hill down shift, poor range (gas milage) it was work to drive.

Went to diesel.again same trailer, 3/4T. world of difference. kept speed up small hills. Engine brake was awesome.

When we bought our Monty the scales made us go dually. SRW we were over and that was before W/D Aux tank and porch.
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat CCLB PSD DRW KJ5CQH
jeffba is offline   Reply With Quote