Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Brrr it's cold outside! Winter Camping
Click Here to Login

Old 04-04-2007, 02:54 AM   #1
stevemc
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6587
Need advice - How cold is too cold?

We have plans to go to a nearby state park this weekend. As luck would have it they're now calling for record low temps. Fri. & Sat. nights. Down to hi teens or low 20's. The furnace will be on so inside pipes should be ok but I'm concerned about the drains that come out under the belly. Will they freeze hard enough to break? I can drain the low point drains but we'll be using our own water supply so I can't drain the fresh water.

stevemc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 06:01 AM   #2
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
Steve and Jean,

We have camped several times when the temp was in the teens without any problems. Normally, we do not use any heater at night, our personal preferance, but you may need heat at night. So, I suggest that you have at least two fully charged batteries well charged and a thermostat set at about 50 degrees while sleeping. In the morning, flipping the thermostat to a livable temperature only takes a few minutes to get the Monty up to temp ...this method should get you through your weekend.

Having some heat in the livable space will keep the tanks from freezing. Don't use any of your hoses (including sewer) until the warmer part of the day. When cold, we don't use any faucets, we use the water stored in the fresh water holding tank. Keep all of your tank valves closed until dumping....you should be just fine.

Happy camping!
simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 09:45 AM   #3
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Does your 2005 Montana have the low point drains inside the basement storage or hanging underneath? If underneath, there will be two lines next to each other. Those may freeze when you get into the very low twenties (from our experience). But they'll thaw as the temperature warms. Or, you can take a hairdryer to them (have done that). If yours are inside the basement, they'll not freeze at those temperatures.

Keep all tank valves closed so there is no water in the dump pipe hanging below the belly to freeze. Or in the sewer hose.

Set the furnace to run occasionally so heat is pumped into the belly and you'll be fine.

With our 2003 Montana we were down to five below zero (F). We did have freezing problems with that one before I did some insulating of water lines in the belly. But if you keep the furnace running occasionally you should not freeze the water lines at those temperatures. Except the low point drains if they hang below the belly. After I did the insulation we were down to about 5 degrees above zero without freezing. With this new Montana we've never frozen up.

Also, disconnect your fresh water hose in that really cold weather. It will freeze and could possibly pop the park's water spigot line if it's not heat taped or insulated.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 10:06 AM   #4
stevemc
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6587
Thanks for the responses. My low point drains are under the belly. Also the drain for the fresh water tank. I assume they will freeze but didn't know if they would expand enough to handle the freeze without cracking. Sounds like they should be ok. We'll have electricity but no water hookup so we'll be using our fresh water tank.
Old 04-04-2007, 10:44 AM   #5
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
They'll handle it without problem. At least ours did and on our 2003 those drain lines froze several times before I solved that problem with heat tape and insulation. Wrapping with insulation won't likely help, by the way, so don't bother. Heat tape helps but I wouldn't bother unless you'll be in those temperatures frequently. Those lines are of a material that will expand. I forgot what it is called.

The fresh water tank drain is not a problem if it freezes as it will not stop water flow from the tank. If the low point drains freeze up into the belly where they tee into the water lines they will stop water flow. Depending on the routing of your water lines you may still have water at some faucets. On our 3295RK we still had water upstairs. By the way, if those lines freeze and shut off water at some faucets, you still won't get water at those faucets even using the pump and onboard water. They use the same lines. At least, they did on ours.

Go have fun.
Old 04-04-2007, 11:13 AM   #6
stevemc
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6587
Thanks Steve! We're learning as we go. This forum has been a great source of info. This weekend will be our first trip but we'll only be about 45 minutes from home (we're really brave!)
Really looking forward to it though. Hopefully the temps. will only hit bottom for a short time. It's still supposed to get to about 50 during the day so shouldn't stay too far below freezing for very long.
Old 04-04-2007, 02:33 PM   #7
traveljunkie
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #6224
We are also camping this weekend...actually for the first time in our new Mountaineer. I'm glad you posted this. We plan on taking all the advice. The campground (Mercer KOA in Pennsylvania) does not know yet if they will have running water. If they do I will only hook the hose up during the day and unhook it at night. We will also keep all the tanks closed until we leave which is when it is suppose to start warming up a bit. Hope all goes well!
traveljunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 02:44 PM   #8
wswebster
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1249
WAe're heading north tomorrow too. We'll be testing out this Arctic package. Right now it's 27 with a wind chill of 12 and snowing so hard can't hardly see the barn where the camper is. Bill says we're nuts but I think we'll have fune watching the snow from the camper, a first for us. We've only been fair weather campers. Have a Great Easter weekend everyone. Stacy
wswebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 03:43 PM   #9
Okie Guy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6054
I guess this is the weekend for camping. I have had this trip planned for about two months. I turned on the news only to discover the high on Saturday is only going to be 45 degrees with a low of 30. The cold temps won't stop me. I have th epropane tanks filled and I just cleared out some dead trees from the back pasture so I have plenty of camp firewood for the trip. Yes the trailer trash, beer drinking, fishing bubba festival at Lake Murray will continue as planned. The bonus is we may have the area all to ourself since its going to be so cold. Here is to everyone who camps reguardless of the temps outside.
Okie Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 03:58 PM   #10
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
We will be out in the elements also. Ditto the plentiful firewood supply, along with snuggling near our fireplace indoors. Saturday will make 18 wonderful years together for us and we have decided to celebrate it while on our second Monty camping trip. The weather will be enjoyable regardless, simply because of the loving atmophere that will permeate the campsite. Happy camping brave ones!!!!!
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 03:49 AM   #11
stevemc
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6587
Happy anniversery Bingo!! I can't think of a better way to spend it. Reminds me of a few years ago (I think our 25th) we went to Sonic Drive In for coney dogs and fries then to the local dirt track for the car races. I keep getting accused of being a red-neck! But that's just our style.
Anyway, like I read somewhere (maybe here) with the furnace, air conditioning, two color TV's and a microwave, we're not campers, we're RVers! I don't mind spending most of our time in the trailer. In fact I'm kind of looking forward to it. Maybe have time to catch up on some reading and guitar pickin'.
Old 04-05-2007, 04:33 AM   #12
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by stevemc

We'll have electricity but no water hookup so we'll be using our fresh water tank.
Stevemc,

After reading the posts again, I found you said you had electricity??? Well, that changes things a lot! When we are at a campground that has electricity, we use a small 1200-1500A cube-type electric heater....we try to save our resources whenever possible...!

Fill your fresh water tank to the max!

Enjoy your trip, sounds like you've received real sound advice from the MOC.
Old 04-05-2007, 02:36 PM   #13
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Like Robbie, we supplement heat with electric heaters (to save propane). Just be sure when you are subject to a hard freeze (27 or below for 4 hours or more) that the electric heaters don't keep the furnace from running occasionally. In really cold weather the electric heaters won't be enough by themselves and the furnace will run at times. But the electric heaters do save you some propane since the furnace does not run as often. If in doubt, turn down the electrick heaters and use the furnace until you're comfortable with what combination works for you.
Old 04-05-2007, 05:22 PM   #14
Army Guy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5508
Bingo/Cathy;

I noticed in your signature you have a vista dishwasher. I have a 2006 3400RL and am curious as to where you have your dishwasher located. I am thinking about installing one on ours so ideas would be great. Happy Easter all, thanks
Army Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 04:34 AM   #15
stevemc
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6587
Thanks for all the advice. We got along great! Used the furnace and a small elec. heater as suggested and were very comfortable.
Old 04-09-2007, 04:48 AM   #16
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
Stevemc,

Glad to hear you had a good time.

Army Guy,

To answer your question, my dishwasher has a permanent position in the front seat of the truck......

Robbie (not Alice)