Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 07-15-2020, 06:32 AM   #21
bleedmichigan
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23739
Quote:
Originally Posted by Last2Die View Post
Remove the entire rubber roof...? I’m hoping keystone will do something if not I’m going to see about getting it repaired. Seems like a lot of work to remove the entire roof since only the front 10-15 feet is the issue. I don’t know much about this stuff at all so I’m hoping to learn from all of you about what to do.

I will never camp in this again I plan on trading it in for SOB. I really want to love my unit but it’s getting so hard....

Hoping to repair and trade in. Hopefully!!

Tony
Don’t peel the whole roof. Just the area that has bubbled. Crazy seal sells a tape to make the transition. Then you coat the roof deck with the product. They call it a hybrid install.

bleedmichigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 07:56 AM   #22
Last2Die
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22986
Couldn’t I just remove the screws from the left and right side maybe 10 feet pull the roof back where it’s supposed to be reattach and seal..? I think the air is coming from the roof vent at the front. Weird the places I did maintenance are the only places where it didn’t come off....
2018 3920fb 2020 GMC Denali 3500 4x4 Duramax, 10 speed Allison. LB SRW, Firestone air bags with Airlift wireless onboard compressor. Anderson Ultimate Hitch. MX4 folding cover. 50gal titan in bed transfer tank. Onan 6500 lp genset installed by me ! Had: 2 HF 3500 Inverters with Parallel Kit
Last2Die is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 07:59 AM   #23
bleedmichigan
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23739
Quote:
Couldn’t I just remove the screws from the left and right side maybe 10 feet pull the roof back where it’s supposed to be reattach and seal..? I think the air is coming from the roof vent at the front. Weird the places I did maintenance are the only places where it didn’t come off....
Maybe but I’d assume that the roof material stretched when it bubbles and might not lay flat easily
Old 07-15-2020, 08:03 AM   #24
Last2Die
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22986
If it stretched which I think you’re right trim off excess use eternabond and seal with the proper sealant..? Would that work..?
2018 3920fb 2020 GMC Denali 3500 4x4 Duramax, 10 speed Allison. LB SRW, Firestone air bags with Airlift wireless onboard compressor. Anderson Ultimate Hitch. MX4 folding cover. 50gal titan in bed transfer tank. Onan 6500 lp genset installed by me ! Had: 2 HF 3500 Inverters with Parallel Kit
Old 07-15-2020, 08:05 AM   #25
bleedmichigan
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23739
Quote:
If it stretched which I think you’re right trim off excess use eternabond and seal with the proper sealant..? Would that work..?
Possibly. You’d still need to reattach it to the roof decking. Personally I’d raise hell to keystone for a few more days
Old 07-15-2020, 08:10 AM   #26
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Quote:
No didn’t see anything.... noticed some pulling away by the front but that’s it.... I did purchase the good Sam extended service plan but can’t make heads or tails out of the legal jargon... My stomach is twisting into knots...
You might want to call the GS extended service plan and ask them.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 08:14 AM   #27
Last2Die
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22986
Quote:
Originally Posted by richfaa View Post
You might want to call the GS extended service plan and ask them.
Just did and exclusion 11 excludes roof and roofing materials, so I’m canceling the plan and getting some money back. Hopefully enough to repair if I can’t do it. I’m having the local CW send in a request for repair with the same picture I posted guess before I do anything I’ll wait for them. If they deny then I’ll attempt to reattach the roof trim from the stretching and seal with the proper sealant... not sure what else I can do...
Old 07-15-2020, 08:16 AM   #28
Last2Die
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22986
Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedmichigan View Post
Possibly. You’d still need to reattach it to the roof decking. Personally I’d raise hell to keystone for a few more days
I plan on it.. when I call she just takes my info and tells me to bring to a repair center so they can submit a claim... can I talk to someone and get it approved before taking it anywhere..? The more I tow it the worse it will get. Feel like I’m stuck between a rock and a hard spot.
Old 07-15-2020, 09:01 AM   #29
432bartman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26190
I hope they make this right for you.
2019 Keystone Montana 3560RL, 2020 Chevy 2500 HD, Firestone airbags, Air Lift wireless compressor, Curt gooseneck, 20K Reese Goosebox, TST-507, USMC combat vet & retired LEO. Robert, Anika, Breanna, Dylan (daughter-in-law Stephanie). & our Great Pyrenees Layla
432bartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 09:06 AM   #30
Last2Die
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22986
Quote:
Originally Posted by 432bartman View Post
I hope they make this right for you.
Me too, since they did t with the axles and tires I’m sure they won’t.... but I’ll take all the support I can get !! Thank you.
Old 07-15-2020, 11:56 AM   #31
psomers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12724
Looks like membrane wasn't glued down properly. When going down the road the front profile of roof is shaped like the leading edge of an airplane wing. Wind going over gives it lift. The air is trying to pull the roof up. Must be glued to prevent it from happening.
If it was mine and Keystone refused to fix I would fix it myself. Pull the front part of drip rail on both sides loose. Roll roof back and re-glue. Hardest part will be getting the material tucked back under the front cap. May have to take screws out and lean cap forward.
Shame Keystone refuses to fix bad workmanship.

Paul Northport,AL W4XH
2013 358 RLT Mountaineer
2008 Silverado Duramax
psomers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 02:34 PM   #32
jcurtis934
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13740
For that much separation of the roofing material, it is obvious that bonding is an issue for the whole roof. That is why a repair facility should remove everything on the roof, pull the complete roof material, and start with fresh materials and glue. What happens when you see roofs inflating is that the very front metal strip across the roof or the roofing material was not installed correctly under the metal strip has failed. Both of these conditions come back to not being correctly installed on the assembly line. Sure, lack of maintenance over years of service MAY allow water to enter and allow screws to be loose enough for thr roof material to shrink back or creep back out from under the metal fitting. But most of the issues noted on this forum relate back to initial assembly. My take on your issue.
Old 07-15-2020, 03:52 PM   #33
Last2Die
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22986
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcurtis934 View Post
For that much separation of the roofing material, it is obvious that bonding is an issue for the whole roof. That is why a repair facility should remove everything on the roof, pull the complete roof material, and start with fresh materials and glue. What happens when you see roofs inflating is that the very front metal strip across the roof or the roofing material was not installed correctly under the metal strip has failed. Both of these conditions come back to not being correctly installed on the assembly line. Sure, lack of maintenance over years of service MAY allow water to enter and allow screws to be loose enough for thr roof material to shrink back or creep back out from under the metal fitting. But most of the issues noted on this forum relate back to initial assembly. My take on your issue.
I agree the roof vent I "maintained" is the only part that is still attached to the front of the roof and I used material not recommended but ill tell you it worked !! I spoke with someone within the company and it was told to me that dicor over that roof will not hurt the roof at all so hopefully I have a leg to stand on !

Tony
Old 07-16-2020, 08:55 PM   #34
Last2Die
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22986
Minor update

CW is coming to my house Tuesday to look at the roof and write up the request. Hopefully a week or so after that I get some good news !!

Tony
Old 07-17-2020, 05:08 AM   #35
RMcNeal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25165
Good Luck, Tony. I hope they will come through for you.
RMcNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 06:59 AM   #36
bshgto
Montana Master

M.O.C. #16013
sameo sameo

Have a friend that had a 6 months old Teluride smaller 5`er. Coming back from a trip the roof started to bellow like yours. He went to the dealer and they said it was the lack of maintenance and warranty would not cover it. He was furious and threatened to sue and that shut down the communication with the dealer and unit manufacturer.
I told him we will fix it and forget about it. You do not need to remove the enter roof or even take the side strips off to reset the roof. Took the front seal strip off and ran a razor knife down the center to the A/C ( to your vent ) bought a the same glue they use at the factory on line ( $75.00 a gallon ), bought a thin blade notched trowel ( Loews ) pulled up the roof as far as we could to where it was still griping and applied glue with trowel and just laid the roof back down, glue grip very tight. Then ran 6 " wide Eternabond tape ($65.00 on line) up the cut seam and across the front where meets the cap then put the metal seal strip back on then ran another run of Eternabond tape on top of the metal seal strip. A total of 2 hours start to finish.@ 2 years later still good to go.
Some times you have to do things yourself. You have to remember who your dealing with when you call Keystone. The little mouse on the line for the most part is brainless and is there to lie to you from ignorance or is told to lie in there training. My case I was told they checked with others in the office and said they never heard of that happening ( cap fade ) and it was my fault from the lack of waxing and was not covered on a 2 month old HC, bull, my dealer had 3 not 1 but 3 other campers in the loop to paint the front cap because of fading. I called her back when I found out about this from the tech at the dealer and she still said never heard of this and denied the claim.
It was not worth the hassle and time and frustration for my friend to deal with the denials and lies from the dealer and factory so this prompted us to do the repair our self's. Easy, you can do it you just have to get over cutting the roof and you don`t have to talk to a pin head at the factory that feels they can tell you anything and you will believe it. Yeh right, can only use this or you ruined your roof, voided you warrenty LOLOLOL.
Next up, if you don``t put Nitrogen air in your tires that came in them from the factory you have voided your tire warranty, I actually heard this from a tire dealer to a customer.
F350 Ford Dually 4:10`s w/bags (payload 5595 lbs) Sumo Springs 63 gal aux tank
Reese Goosebox Mor/Ryde SRE 4000 X Factors Monroe shocks.... real smooth ride
bshgto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 07:23 AM   #37
Last2Die
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22986
That’s the plan if the factory denies the claim. I’ll need to get the glue, and I guess some the the alpha sealant. No way I’m spending 6k+ on a roof for a unit that’s 2 years old. I did do maintenance but used the wrong product, that’s ok alpha is water base and dicor is oil as someone in the coating industry oil can always go over water and adhere but not the other way around. 2 hours your hired !! Lol
Old 07-17-2020, 08:00 AM   #38
bshgto
Montana Master

M.O.C. #16013
hit the nail

Quote:
That’s the plan if the factory denies the claim. I’ll need to get the glue, and I guess some the the alpha sealant. No way I’m spending 6k+ on a roof for a unit that’s 2 years old. I did do maintenance but used the wrong product, that’s ok alpha is water base and dicor is oil as someone in the coating industry oil can always go over water and adhere but not the other way around. 2 hours your hired !! Lol
The Eternabound tape is the key it seals every thing and is strong but clean the area with acetone or their cleaner and role it good it`s nearly impossible to get back off it seals so well. We used less than 1/4 tube of Dicor to hit the little places on final seal up. Like I said the hard part is cutting the roof, for my friend anyway, cause that`s the point of no return. But remember these things aren`t put together by Rocket Scientists. If you have a Large bubble that won`t lay flat, cut through the center over lap the cut and tape it with 6 inch tape don`t use the 4 inch tape. Makes you look good in front of the wife to.
F350 Ford Dually 4:10`s w/bags (payload 5595 lbs) Sumo Springs 63 gal aux tank
Reese Goosebox Mor/Ryde SRE 4000 X Factors Monroe shocks.... real smooth ride
bshgto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 08:20 AM   #39
Last2Die
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22986
Quote:
Originally Posted by bshgto View Post
The Eternabound tape is the key it seals every thing and is strong but clean the area with acetone or their cleaner and role it good it`s nearly impossible to get back off it seals so well. We used less than 1/4 tube of Dicor to hit the little places on final seal up. Like I said the hard part is cutting the roof, for my friend anyway, cause that`s the point of no return. But remember these things aren`t put together by Rocket Scientists. If you have a Large bubble that won`t lay flat, cut through the center over lap the cut and tape it with 6 inch tape don`t use the 4 inch tape. Makes you look good in front of the wife to.
lol for sure !! We will need to remove the side drip edge, as it pulled away. pull it back down and trim off I guess. ill need to think about the application since I do have the sides to do. Maybe cutting it is not the best option as I can lay it back down on the glued surface pull tight towards the front and sides and trim off from the sides instead of cutting the middle...?
Old 07-17-2020, 12:09 PM   #40
socoinc
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #21247
Mine did the same thing. Keystone wanted to see the roof bubble so I got a 6’ ladder. Put in the back of my truck & my wife climbed up on ladder while I was doing 65 mph down the highway.
socoinc is offline   Reply With Quote