Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 04-27-2007, 01:09 PM   #1
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Ebay experienced members????

I just went to 'Class' at Ebay university, I think I will set up an account and sell some of the 'stuff' I have accumulated through the years, man what a bunch of junk the Ozzman has accumulated.
My folks retired and I helped them with an Antique quest, we went to sales and auctions around rural Missouri, so I bought a bunch of ?? stuff. I have some neat Aladdin lamps, many many coal oil lamps and other items. Has anyone set up a store there? I think it will be fun, I will start with low cost items and see how the system works.
Appreciate any feed back.
Ozz

Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 01:30 PM   #2
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Ozz,

I've been selling on ebay for years, and funny you should say that, as I was just going through stuff from our old Monty that I was going to put up for sale .

You don't have to start an EBAY store, you can just sell as a regular guy. The Stores are pretty expensive to set up.

I use the Ebay Blackthorne listing software and I hate it. You might just try the ebay software first.

It's fun, but also a pain.
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 03:53 PM   #3
Chuck and Carol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1011
I have been selling auction style for a couple of years now. Don't use any special programs.

Carol
Chuck and Carol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 04:50 PM   #4
mtkrumm
Established Member

M.O.C. #6641
Tara and I have been selling and buying for quite a while, we are power sellers now. We also don't use any special programs. I have sold coins to vehicles and have only been burned once and that was on a purchase. My biggest piece of advice would be " make sure you have GREAT pictures and dont embelish just give the facts. steve
mtkrumm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 04:50 PM   #5
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Thanks, guys I will not do the store.
Old 04-29-2007, 04:19 PM   #6
chieflawdawg
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6935
Been buying and selling on eBay for years. No special software. DW says that I am "addicted" to eBay. Of course, now she says the same thing about this forum. Can't beat either one.
chieflawdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 04:34 PM   #7
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
It really takes a great deal of preparation, doesn't it? I have to research prices, clean the items up, and as Steve noted, pictures have to be the best you can produce according to the Ebay tutorial. Sue got out fabric sections from her sewing room, I'll use them for a backdrop. I have many small items I will start out with; an old Turquoise man's ring, a 1800's advertisement hand mirror, a couple of instruments and so on. Later, a truck, a big Honda generator, & Kubota 4 WD tractor.
Steve, how do you insure you do not 'give' an item away? Other than the reserve, that is.
It seems to have great potential, I'm excited about it.
Thanks for all the input.
Ozz
Old 04-29-2007, 05:24 PM   #8
mtkrumm
Established Member

M.O.C. #6641
Thats a great question, most of the things we have sold we start with a 99 cent opening. They are things that we have picked up at yards or found. No intial investment. As far the vehicles I start the bidding at my lowest price. Its my opinion that reserves deter people from bidding. Also don't freak out if you dont see a quick rise in bidding, it all happens in those last minutes and seconds. If I really want an item I will click my high bid with 30sec left in the auction. The other type of bidder is the one that bids his high the moment he decides he wants the item the just waits and hopes. I also sold items for friends 20% plus ebay fees, worked out well. Good luck, remember pictures pictures pictures, I use a white sheet for my back drop. steve

mtkrumm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 05:29 PM   #9
Hemlockusa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4766
Jim in regards to the pictures. DOn't go overboard, Don't do any HIGH PIXELS just the same settings as you use to send e mail pictures. Otherwise the E BAY AD you place will take to long to down load and the folk's that are interested will just click off instead of waiting for the picture to down load. I think what MTKRUMM mean when he said good pictures, was a very clear picture of what your selling. I have been selling on E Bay off and on since E BAY got started I think and only one time did I get stuck. I would suggest that you change your password frequently and also get PAYPAL account. It's easier for the buyer to pay you and a lot quicker. Best thing to do would be to open up a seperate bank account, and when someone buys your product and pay's with PAYPAL it goes right into your account. Set this up seperately from you regular account so if some thing should happen no one would have axcess to your home account. Just my TCW
Hemlockusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 04:28 AM   #10
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
Ozz,

eBay is a great way to sell items that are small, but I found for the items that have a heavy freight (ie Kubota tractor), you might try Craigslist. When we downsized, 80% of the stuff I sold was on Craigslist. With Craigslist, I could make a posting in about 10 minutes, including pictures. Ebay, IMHO took me a lot longer, seemed pretty complicated......

One of the problems with Craigslist is that you have to stay on top of your email account, answer questions, etc. etc. which normally doesn't happen on eBay. BTW, you email address is NOT published, so there is no need to worry about spam etc. just don't give out your phone numbere, you call them, and let them reply to your posts. Another problem with Craigslist, is the DUMB factor, something to consider when dealing with the Darwin challenged.

Here is a link for Craigslist in Kansas City, MO.

Good luck and if I can help or anwer yor questions....well, you know.

Robbie

http://tinyurl.com/ku57q
simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 04:35 AM   #11
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Thank you Robbie! I am still using that plastic bottle of Black stain remover you guys gave us, thanks for that as well.
Old 04-30-2007, 06:40 AM   #12
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
Ozz,

Guess I can hijack your thread..

ain't it awesome?
simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 09:18 AM   #13
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Yepper!!!!
Old 04-30-2007, 01:46 PM   #14
Connorsmom
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6592
I set up an eBay account once I knew I was going to move out of the apartment. I've sold my salt water fish tanks, and some of my music equipment. The biggest tank was 150 gallon, the smallest, 29 gallon. I set it up as local pick up only, and buyer was responsible for pickup. Everything has gone well for me, and I'm glad I was able to downsize. The only downside was trying to sell my books. If I had the space to keep them, I would list on Half.com, which is also eBay, but you don't pay to list the books, just when they're sold. eBay also pays the media rate shipping costs. Half.com is the way to go for any media type things you want to sell. The hardest part is setting up the eBay account, after that, it's pretty easy. And as someone else noted...set up a PayPal account also, you get your money nice and fast that way.

Jan
Connorsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 03:09 PM   #15
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Thanks, Jan. I didn't know about Half.com Sue has a 75 gallon salt water Bow front we are trying to sell, it didn't occur to me to try it on Ebay, we have it on Craigs list here in K.C. I'll try Ebay for that also.
I'm waiting until I get my pricing research done for my starter items, also taking pictures along the way.
I have some similar items marked in Myebay so I can track pricing. I will set up the account only when I am all prepared, so I can list right away. Appreciate you sharing your experiences. I will go with Paypal.
I assume everyone reports earnings to Uncle Sam...... Doesn't require an answer, probably varies.
Ozz
Old 05-01-2007, 02:07 AM   #16
dscott
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6661
Jim,
On the Sell side I agree with John (Hemlockusa), If you set up a paypal account make sure you use a different checking account and change your password fequently. I suggesst that you take good clear pictures of every angle of the item. Decription is key too. Make sure that you tell just facts and include any flaws. Feedback with make or break you. Great Communication with the buyer is a good way to recieve positive feedback. I like to keep a detailed log of all transactions buy or sell.
On the Buy side, I check buyers feedback, item location, shipping fees, description, and pictures. With the pictures make sure their not hiding anything with poor quality pictures. I like to use ezsnipe or snipeswipe internet software which are all legal on ebay. I use the software so I don't have to watch ebay like a hawk and I will have more time to enjoy my New Montana!!! Ezsnipe has three free snipe as a trial offer. If I bid on the item manually I wait until the last 10 sec of the auction but It depends on your internet connection speed.
I have been buying and selling tools on ebay for the last five years.
Its alot of fun and a good way to make a few bucks.

dscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 02:14 AM   #17
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Great info, Don and John. I will look into the snipe idea, I think i know what it is, ...I will know shortly.
I am surprised so many people use Ebay.
Old 05-01-2007, 04:15 AM   #18
Verle and Sue
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3960
Verle does all our ebay stuff, and uses TurboLister software for his listings. We have been selling odds and ends for years, but regularly sell my polymer clay art and for the past year have been liquidating inherited stuff from his Mom (good antique jewelry, and hand painted porcelain). We do happen to have a store due to the type and quantity of stuff we sell. We have had VERY good experiences with ebay. Sue C
Verle and Sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 04:54 AM   #19
Okie Guy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6054
ebay is a great tool. Just remember when you log on you are trying to sell stuff. I started selling and ended up purchasing as much stuff as I was selling. Now I have twice as much stuff t oget rid of and I had to build a small shed just for my ebay shipping/recieving stuff. It got a little out of hand for a while but it is a great place. I bought my last Northern Breeze fan from ebay for a little of nothing and it was still in the factory box.
Have fun
Phil
Okie Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 05:50 AM   #20
jretz
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6321
Remember like any auction a high starting price will keep bidders away. A low starting price may bring in more bidders and possible a bidding war. I start my items for 2 or 3 dollars, $9.99 if it is an expensive item. I have found that on e-bay an item will get what it is worth. Listing items this way I have started them at 2 dollars and got 300 dollars at the closing.

Also look up similar items you are selling on e-bay and check the completed auctions, this will give you an idea of what others got over the last 60 days. If one item sells for more than other similar items see how that person listed it, the category they put it in and their description.

In my 9 years with e-bay I have only had 3 people not pay for items. I re listed them and 2 went for more money the 3rd went for the same.

Feedback is king on e-bay. With a low feedback number your will not get as much bidding activity as you will once your feedback number increases.

The way I look at it is, Have fun with it. The stuff I am selling is just taking up room anyways and collecting dust.
jretz is offline   Reply With Quote