Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 05-07-2008, 05:02 AM   #61
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
I'm not sure we're reading the date code right on these tires. From what I have read, it should be all numerical. Of course, you can't believe everything you read on the internet either. Any input on that subject?

SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 06:10 AM   #62
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Andy,
On one side of the tire, the Mfg. information includes everything but the date code, on the other side of the tire, all information is there, including the date code.
After the D.O.T. Number is the complete information.
Tire date codes:
http://www.newrver.com/publish/readtires.shtml
http://www.tuninglinx.com/html/car-tire-date-code.html
http://rvbasics.com/techtips/RV-tire-age-how-old.html
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete....jsp?techid=11
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 06:24 AM   #63
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
That explains why some tires don't have the number after the DOT. It's on the backside of the tire... I'll check my one "blank".
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 07:12 AM   #64
Crossthread
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6460
The date code on the tire that had a tread seperation on my 3000RK, (about 12,000 miles), had a date code of 3106...July'06?? The build date of the 5er is 11/06. Basically a new tire. Bill
Crossthread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 07:33 AM   #65
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
When all this is put to bed, we can go hit Lonnie up for a job................
Old 05-07-2008, 07:46 AM   #66
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
I'm wondering if the tire manufacturer can be the culprit for tires that are old before the unit they are on is sold. If a 2008 model RV has tires on it that were made in 1999, then Keystone has an awful large build-up of tires in stock or the manufacturer of the tire built too many. Just wondering. Seems like something is wrong here and I can't put my finger on it.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 09:02 AM   #67
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Orv, I think that the order from the Tire supplier was very large, whether the tires were on Keystone's site, or they were committed to a certain amount of tires built for Keystone. Either way, Keystone is responsible, they know how to provide specs,(not accept old tires and so on..) and can read a date code.
You are right about something being wrong, very wrong for the consumer.
If no one has trouble with the tires for a few years for some reason, maybe not putting on the miles, and then has a tire failure, or multiple tire failures, they may be stuck with buying new tires.
This is why I advocate demanding Tireco to replace anyone's tires that are Mission, failed or not.

It is the right thing for them to do.
Old 05-07-2008, 09:08 AM   #68
kwolff7
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6687
There certainly is something wrong here. I am furious that we purchased a 2008 Big Sky and it came with Misson Tires made in 1999. Since most data says tires should be replaced after 5 years whether there is much mileage on them or not, putting 9 year old tires on a new RV is almost criminal. Which is worse, that they were made in 1999 or that they were made in China. No wonder Tireco replaced our tires without any effort on our part, all we had to do was give them the DOT 1099 and our replacement was a given.

I just checked the replacement Milestar tires that Tireco sent and they have this data on them............DOT 4YD3 CQ1C 3207. I am assuming they were made the 32nd week of 2007.

I think if nothing else Keystone should request consumers to check their DOT#, to make sure they are not driving around with old tires. I think Keystone and TireCo could both be liable for these tires.

I agree, everyone should check their tires, if they are Mission and especially is they have old DOT #s, call and ask for replacements, that is if you want China replacements.
kwolff7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 11:24 AM   #69
David and Jo-Anna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6022
I'm wondering if the Mission tire DOT number does not include the date as the code as it doesn't seem like the other codes described on the various website.

Ours had DOT1099 - but in another rectangle on the tire, a little to the right and up a little is 509 0207 - maybe that DOT 1099 tire is manufactured in the second week of 07??????

I am really having a hard time believing that keystone put an 8 year old tire on my 2007 Big Sky.

Jo-Anna
David and Jo-Anna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 11:53 AM   #70
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Hi Jo-Anna,
Check the tire info sites to verify that the D.O.T. numbers are where you checked. There's a ton of information on the tires, but those web sites are pretty clear about the markings. To a builder of RV trailers, a tire is just a tire, after all, they look new....
Jo-Anna, I hope we are wrong, I always like to think the best of a person, or business, but sometimes greed and profit take on a life of it's own.
Ozz
Old 05-07-2008, 12:07 PM   #71
skypilot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1846
If Keystone and all the other RV makers are like car manufacturers, they order so many wheels and tire assemblies already made; as I recall from my trip to Goshen last fall, the chassis comes in with the tires and wheels already on them - plant just puts them on dolly(ies) to run through production..
skypilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 12:28 PM   #72
kwolff7
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6687
JoAnna

That number above the DOT 1099 on mine is 619 0907, like yours, but instead of 0207, it is 0907. I rather doubt that since we picked up our unit in June 2007, the tires were manufactured in China in Sept. 2007.

kwolff7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 02:27 PM   #73
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
I'm leaving Sunday on a 4000 mile round trip fun adventure. The tires I just replaced have less than 1000 miles on them. They had DOT 1099 on the side. See my thred "I Replaced My Tires," for other complicated Tredit and Keystone information.

I have peace of mind now. If I had more time before departing I would have taken the challenge to call and see if they would replace them just on the fact of so many failurs. Wish I could have been of more help.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 03:02 PM   #74
LonnieB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6150
Send a message via MSN to LonnieB
kwolff7, the 0907 doesn't mean the ninth month of 07, it means the ninth week of 07.

I really find it hard to believe that there are still tires of this particular size, type, and brand mfg. in 1999. I apologize for not reading this thread for awhile, and tomorrow I will check some of the Mission tires I have pulled off a couple of Montanas, and let you all know which numbers are correct.

On Edit - Ozz, anytime you feel like you want to work in a tire store, come on down, I'll give you a job .
LonnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 04:12 PM   #75
slewis
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5841
I'm almost afraid to say this, but our 2006 Mountaineer has not had a tire problem and we've put thousands of miles on it. We will check the dates on our tires tomorrow.
Sandy
slewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 06:17 PM   #76
Driftwoodgal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5446
Send a message via AIM to Driftwoodgal
Ozz,

Bob called Monday and asked that we get replacement tires. He told them that he were having problems with the tires holding air pressure and hadn't had any blow outs, but that we had a friend that had problems and we wondered if there was a recall on the tires. The employee responded that they would replace one tire that we had a problem on, and Bob said "No we have had trouble with two." Bob then said that he was worried that the other two tires weren't safe either. The employee then said " we will replace all four of your tires." So we will see when we get new tires. I must say that my husband isn't a pushy person so they replaced the tires pretty easy without much effort. I sure hope that the new tires are better than what we have now. Our local news channel is doing a report on tires that have sat in storage before being sold/used. They can rot before they hit the pavement per the clip that was shown on TV today.

Just a note to Keystone if they are reading this. I can't believe that I paid the money for my Montana that I did to have you risk my life and my husbands with poor tires. We have had a blow out on our other trailer with serious damage to the RV and risk to our safety in the truck. This is as serious a problem as having a leak in a propane tank. All of this could be very deadly to someone that isn't checking tires, or maybe even if they check tires before we move our RV.

Colleen
Driftwoodgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 11:47 PM   #77
Andy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5871
After I made my last post I called Keystone, they in turn got Mission on the line with me, the woman at Mission told me the DOT code 0U99 was a manufacture code and that the date code was a small 7 digit code which I couldn’t find. She said she wasn’t sure of it’s location, but it should be in the location of the DOT, as I couldn’t find it on facing side she said that it may be stamped on the back side of the tire. At that point I had to leave and didn’t have a chance to crawl under and check. Now it’s raining, so will check it later and know you know what I find.

Andy
Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 12:22 AM   #78
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Ozz

Andy,
On one side of the tire, the Mfg. information includes everything but the date code, on the other side of the tire, all information is there, including the date code.
After the D.O.T. Number is the complete information.
Tire date codes:
http://www.newrver.com/publish/readtires.shtml
http://www.tuninglinx.com/html/car-tire-date-code.html
http://rvbasics.com/techtips/RV-tire-age-how-old.html
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete....jsp?techid=11
All 4 of the above links have been added to the RV Related Links page under "Tires"
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 02:23 AM   #79
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Andy, read the information on those links that Glenn added to the Tires section, (Thank you Glenn) they may help you locate the number, but it does sound like you are on the right track, looking on the other side.
Good job, Colleen, Bob did good. They will send all 5 tires if pressed, they sent me 5.
I agree with your note to Keystone, Bean counters, they rule the business.
Sandy, you may have got some good ones, hope so, just keep an eye on them, or change them out if you have any doubt.
Old 05-08-2008, 02:59 AM   #80
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
This week, 20/20 is airing a piece on how to read tire codes, if anyone is interested.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote