Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 06-05-2006, 10:52 AM   #1
RKassl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3699
:-) Grandkids and Holding Tanks

Just wanted to share with the board a wonderful week we had in our Monty with our two Granddaughters,, one is almost 5 and the other is really 2. Bottom line they can really fill your tanks in a hurry! :-) We went through more toilet paper in a week than we used all last year! :-)

This is what it is all about, family! I don't care if I had to dump the tanks everyday, EVERYBODY had a great time. The Monty survived well. I am glad I put the grills and bars from CW on the screen door. In and out all day. The girls sure love the screen door. But now we are home and they are a state away, it is pretty quiet around here now. I will get the Monty ready for the next holiday, thinking about the great week we had.

RKassl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 12:31 PM   #2
Mac
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4624
Bob and Nancy,

Sounds like a great time! I might need to know about that screen door protection, I don't think you need grandkids for that.

mac
Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 12:40 PM   #3
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Bob and Nancy

sounds wonderful, we are getting ready to do our turn, with the 5.5 year old twin girls. Only, we will not have the option of dumping every day, we are going in for 13 days and the 60 gallons has to hold us. GULP! Maybe will, maybe won't! MORE GULP!!
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 01:28 PM   #4
rlwhit
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3189
Carol, you may need an old fashion outhouse. Good luck.

RKassl - That sounds like a great time. Wish we had grandkids. Sometimes you have no control over that. Great posting.
rlwhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 01:52 PM   #5
campbud
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3142
Sounds like everyone enjoyed there time together. We too have the grill on the door from CW and it sure helps with the grandkids or any little ones.
campbud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 02:00 PM   #6
Lstierw
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3532
We are waiting for our 9th grandchild to be born and are very exicted. We spend alot of time with them, however our Monty does not have bunkbeds. Sometimes for us it is hard to balance our lifestyle and spend time with 8 or 9 wonderful grandchildren, but certainly we are blessed. We are still working at that balance....Les
Lstierw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 02:16 PM   #7
dbrill
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #359
We are pulling out on Thursday with our 2 year old grand-daughter. Like you said we have a great time although it is not as relaxing with the little ball of energy along.
dbrill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 02:39 PM   #8
Kathi
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3113
That brings to mind when we hand a 1 ton Ford and carried a 12 1/2ft Dreamer Camper. That was in 1979. We use to be gone all the time. My niece would always go with us. She was 10 and my daughter was 8. They fought like cats and dogs. Sooooooo, we punished them by giving them ca ca detail. They hated that, and that soon stopped the fighting and life was bliss...We would supervise them but made them do the dirty work...It was really comical watching them. They learned the in's and out's of what it is like to have to do the dirty work. They became more aware of the amount of everything they put down that toilet...
Kathi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 02:45 PM   #9
Sweetfire
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4483
Bob,
If you don't already have it Steve Reigle has a great screen door improvement where you can open the screen door from inside without opening the little slider to get to the latch. You'll need a 1/8 inch drill, a wire coat hanger (white), a cork, maybe a pair of pliers and about 5 minutes of spare time. If he doesn't come along with the instructions I'll help you out.
Sweetfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 02:58 PM   #10
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Dennis, that is the neatest improvemen!!, Steve and Vicki showed us in the Valley and a LOT of Montana's left the Valley with it! Here is a link to photos we did of that (plus 3 other improvements we did while in the Valley)

http://geocities.com/genieyorks/montanaourwaywinter06
Old 06-05-2006, 02:59 PM   #11
VanMan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9
Carol, Are you saying you have a 60 gal. black tank ?
VanMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 03:10 PM   #12
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
No Van Man, I am saying I have 60 gallons of fresh water available from the holding tank. I have 38 gallons of black capacity and I have TWO 38 gallon tanks available for gray and galley (each has ONE 38 gallon take up tank).

Am saying that at the state park there is 30 AMPs (and believe me it is a weak 30, they need a new main breaker and are too cheap to put one in, give us one 90 degree day and there is no power to one entire section of the park, the section we are gonna be parked in! GRRRRR)

AND, there are no water hookups at the sites, so, it is to the dump we go!

WE have done this before, just not with the twins for more than a day or so. No showers in Tana, all potty breaks possible will be at the community rest room/shower house. (I did it one time with 30 gallons, 15 days, and 11 guests for meals one weekend. I did have to get a few extra gallons for stuff like yorkie bathes, it is easier with 60 gallons! HA HA)

Al sweetly refuseds to pull Tana to the dump in the middle of our stay, and he also sweetly refuses to own one of those little blue portable dump thingys. I adjust! HA HA He has to take me out to eat, I use paper plates, and a lot of baby wipes!!
Old 06-05-2006, 04:16 PM   #13
melnjoy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1935
We are just now gearing up to pick up our grandbabies for our annual summer vactation with them. We have 3. 6yr. old girl(Kaly), 5yr. old boy (Sean), & our baby boy at just over 2(Scott).

Scott gets to come first for 4-5 days (he is a handful all by himself). Then the two older the following week, (they play well together)so that helps, and they are a lot of fun, not to mention they are adorable. We will be staying in a the Chelan County Park, luckily they do have Full hookups. No water worries for us!

Our only worry will be how to entertain the kids 24/7 when your just not used to it? I guess Grammy & Papa will be having an early bedtime right along with the kiddies.

Good Luck Carol, I think the suggestion of using the park facilities during the day may just save the day for you! I think we would be hard pressed to make it in your situation. However, as long as the kids are there, you'll always have fun.
Joy
melnjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 04:21 PM   #14
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
This gramma has planned quiet times for the girls in the afternoon, hahaha, that translates to, this gramma is gonna take a NAP every afternoon! Have a grand time Mel!!! Go forth and make wonderful memories!!

Old 06-05-2006, 04:43 PM   #15
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
Well all I have to say is TRAINING, TRAINING, TRAINING, if the children dont know the proper way to use a RV toilet and how much paper a person needs " TRAINING " even some adults need a crash course on that topic, the next time that happens put some rubber gloves on them, and have them help you dump that nasty black tank, I'll bet they will learn conservation real quick. or a threat of the dreaded public rest room.
Old 06-07-2006, 12:58 PM   #16
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Bob and Nancy, it sounds like you had a wonderful time with your granddaughters. Our youngest two are close in age to yours. The older of those, when she was about 3 and had learned to flush the toilet used to say, outloud, "First... a little water. Thennnnnnnnnnn....FLUSH!" It was so cute! We will have that one with us for nine days the end of this month while her parents (our youngest son) take a trip to Hawaii.

Two things on the screen door pushbutton opener -- the credit goes to Nkwist (Norm Kwist). It was his idea and I copied it, with his assistance, when they were parked next to us in Island Park, ID.

Second, be sure you drill in the right places. Note Carol's pictures. Also, when you drill the upper hole, be sure the slide is closed all the way so the drill bit notches the slide. Otherwise when you install the clothes hanger the slide will not close all the way.

If questions, email any of us who have installed this thing. Besides opening without moving the slider, I really like being able to open the screen door with my elbow when I have both arms full. Add the door springs and you don't even have to use your hands to close the door, either.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 01:44 PM   #17
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Quiet time???? NOW you tell me, Carol, on the last day of our grandgirls' visit. Peace and quiet....what's that? We've had a wonderful visit here at the stick house, including a tubing adventure with old Grandma on the tube behind the boat! Now doesn't that produce a lovely image! Tomorrow we are off to Texarkana for about three days of camping. I know why we had our children when we were young! Ya love 'em and send 'em home!
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 03:55 PM   #18
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by sreigle

Two things on the screen door pushbutton opener -- the credit goes to Nkwist (Norm Kwist). It was his idea and I copied it, with his assistance, when they were parked next to us in Island Park, ID.

Second, be sure you drill in the right places. Note Carol's pictures. Also, when you drill the upper hole, be sure the slide is closed all the way so the drill bit notches the slide. Otherwise when you install the clothes hanger the slide will not close all the way.
I hope you dont mind me showing the screen push button created by Norm for bob but I had this copy sitting in my file it might give him another view.

TT2
Old 06-09-2006, 01:28 PM   #19
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Don, thanks for posting the pictures. That makes it a whole lot more clear.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 05:15 PM   #20
fulltimedreamer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #919
Well, we had our 4 and 6 year olds with us on our 5 day getaway and the black tank did fill up in just those 5 days. The black tank usually will hold for 2 weeks or so. Anyway, we had a great time and are taking our 11 month old grand daughter with us for a few days next week.
fulltimedreamer is offline   Reply With Quote