Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 06-07-2006, 03:54 AM   #101
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Coleen and Ray, congrats on your decision. There's nothing like a bout with cancer to encourage you to "go for the gold"! We had a similar experience and it just reminded us that every day is a gift. Enjoy your new adventure and check out the fulltiming topics on the forum.

jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 02:29 PM   #102
Driftwoodgal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5446
Send a message via AIM to Driftwoodgal
We started our day off by pulling the New Vision to the dealership. It was kind of sad parking your first FW the last time and then driving away. It didn't take to time much to put a smile on my face as we pulled up to the PDI lot.

The service manager Scott Latta was there to take us through the entire Monty.

Since we did two pre PDI inspections and presented our salesman our concerns most of the things had been taken care of. Keystone had sent the incorrect aluminum rims so the dealership took some off another one and put them on ours. Tires had been balanced.

Our list of problems after our pre PDI’s were, several places had trim problems, flashlight, toilet, decals, wiring near brake drum, holes under sink and shower, shower drain. We could check the water because we didn’t have any on our pre PDI’s . One of our chairs had a tear in the back of it. One of the speakers in the surround sound didn’t have the wire connected to it.

Scott walked us through everything and we tested everything to be sure that it was working properly. The two decals had been taken care of, but I found another place that three of them on the very top had been cut as well. I didn’t notice these before as it was so far up and the Monty was dirty when we did our pre PDI’s. They took pictures of the damaged decals and have already ordered them from Keystone. They will send someone out to our house to install them or do it when we take it back for any service issues that we find in the future. Christian was the service tech that went through our Monty with a fine tooth comb. He repaired most of my items on my list and did a great job of caulking places that I had issues with.

I would suggest that anyone getting a new Monty check out your trim closely as some of the nail guns don’t get the trim flush. Check your decals very carefully as they can have some fine cuts in them, looks like if someone keyed your car.

They hadn’t replaced the chair or fixed the wiring near the brake drums. This was taken care of and they added the case for a second battery which we had asked for previously. The battery case was added while we were there going through our PDI. Christian added the line near the brake drums and completely covered up the exposed wires.

We didn’t have a large hole under the bedroom sink, but did have ones under the shower. We will decide if we want to add foam or some thing to that area. It was suggested that if the shower is leaking that you will notice it quicker if it drips into the cargo area. Both grey water tanks and the black water tank worked without at hitch.

All in all the things that were wrong were very minor, and I am not sure that anything was wrong with the shower drain, toilet, wiring near the brakes drums. Since I had the head ups from all of you I had the knowledge to ask them to be fixed before we left the lot. The flashlight was a dud and that was replaced with a working one.

We gave our service manager a thank you card with a gratuity in it after we observed that he had taken care of items on our list. He gave us his direct cell phone number and told us to call any time that we needed him. We also gave Christian a little token of appreciation for a job well done. I know that it wasn’t necessary to do that but I am in the service industry and understand people appreciate it when you acknowledge their extra effort.

We won’t be able to take the Monty out for a weekend to test it so I hope that all of the homework will pay off. The Duramax pulled it without a problem up and down some of our hill country hills.

We took the cat out to his new home away from home tonight. I think he likes the extra room. It is 95 F right now and we were in the Monty watching TV with the cat at 6:30 PM. I must say that I thought it would be hotter than it was.

Now all we have to do is sell this business and we can become part timers. Thanks again everyone for your information. Hopefully it won’t take us to long to get to a rally.

Colleen

Driftwoodgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 04:09 PM   #103
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Sounds like you did ok....We were on the lookout for damaged decals because we noticed them at the RV show in Toledo before we placed our order...Our decals were all good. We just can't buy the idea that the holes under the tub are a aid to detect leaks..If the shower was installed properly, caulked properly and a proper drain and seal installed it would not leak. We also went over the trim and only found a couple of places where they "missed" Considering the complexity of these units they do a pretty good job.You will find a lot of little things as you poke and probe around that could be better and you will make them better. You start out with a fine unit and you can only make it better..Enjoy that brand new 3400...
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 06:01 PM   #104
ragdoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #235
Send a message via AIM to ragdoll Send a message via MSN to ragdoll
Driftwoodgal, so glad to hear that everything went so well and that Monty is home. Know you can't wait for your first trip to enjoy it.

Congrats!
Safe travels.
Lorraine
ragdoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 02:01 AM   #105
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Thanks, Colleen. I have copied and filed your report for reference for our PDI.
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 03:10 AM   #106
Driftwoodgal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5446
Rich,

If I am understanding the service manager the cargo area is heated. If it was really cold outside your heat would rise up into that area as well through those holes and keep your plumbing warm. We have some memory foam left from our old topper that we can use to stuff around the pipes if need be. It will be 98 to 100 degrees today so need of the artic package.

Lorraine,

Unfortunately the first time the Monty leaves the pad will be with hubby when he leaves to work hurricane losses. That is the reason I have been so picky about everything. Once she leaves the pad I may not see her for five months, unless our business sells and I am traveling with him.

Colleen
Old 06-08-2006, 03:20 AM   #107
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Just curious, Colleen... Did you guys get a generator to go with the 3400? It seems to me that doing adjuster work in hurricane areas (or any other disaster areas) would dictate a need for your own power source - at least on occasion. Can't remember if you said anything aboout getting one, or already having one?
Old 06-08-2006, 03:24 AM   #108
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
The underbelly gets some heat but unless we are missing something we see no heat vents in the cargo area???
Old 06-08-2006, 03:36 AM   #109
Driftwoodgal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5446
Dave,

No he doesn't have one yet. If we did I would be dry camping in my Monty here on our property. It is just to hot here in Texas to be sleeping with the windows open.

He was going to buy one last year but the Honda 3000 was to big for his truck and the hitch. Because our spare tire crank wouldn't work we stored our spare tire in the front bay. He will have to buy one or possibly two at some point. You can only get so close to an area when adjusting because of the disaster. When he was adjusting for Katrina in New Orleans he had to drive about 1 1/2 hours to get to the losses that he had. It wouldn't have been safe to park the trailer any where in New Orleans because of theft problems and the muck that was there.

Colleen
I think he will buy two Hondas because of the space issue in the bed of the truck and the weight issue of picking them up.
Old 06-08-2006, 03:55 AM   #110
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Colleen, you might want to consider a Kipor over Honda. They are a Honda clone, and much cheaper. Many here are very happy with this Kipor brand of gen
Old 06-08-2006, 03:58 AM   #111
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Rich, I believe someone said that the heat gets into the belly through a 4" opening cut into one of the existing ducts. Might be something hard to find.
Old 06-08-2006, 07:18 AM   #112
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
I have not had an issue of hot or cold temps coming into the coach from the basement storage area. When the temps are really warm, I kick on the 2nd a/c - problem solved. When the temps are cold, I leave my furnace set at 55 to keep warm air blowing into the underbelly - use space heaters for inside the coach, keeps things very warm.

The underbelly has a 2" heat duct from furnace that blows heat into there to help keep the waterlines and tanks from freezing. Look at the 2nd to last page of a Montana brochure, it has a picture that shows it.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 11:09 AM   #113
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We know that heat gets into the underbelly.Think I have pictures of that somewhere form a factory tour.Colleen's dealer suggested that the storage area was heated..I don't see that..
Old 06-08-2006, 12:49 PM   #114
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
The storage area is not heated to the extent of it has a heat duct or vent. It does get heat from the furnace as the heat travels through the under belly throughout the coach.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 06:13 PM   #115
KSGirl
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5859
Well...we did it! Jumped in with both feet and ordered our 3400RL on Saturday. We were so nervous you could have felt our knees shaking. We got the Sapphire Interior and it's fully loaded with options.Coleen's birthstone is sapphire (Sept.) and we were married in September so the color is perfect. Now the fun begins, or I should say that the work begins, then the fun. We have stuff to get rid of and a house to sell. The race is on and any words of encouragement are greatly appreciated. We will keep you posted of our journey. May God Bless.
Coleen & Ray
PS: We haven't broken the news to all of our family yet..that's why the shaky knees.*smile*
KSGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 06:35 PM   #116
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Coleen & Ray, Congrats!!! Everything will fall into place. There also will be some unexpected hurdles that will pop up. Do not let these deter you from accomplishing your goal.

On your family... I'm not sure how to put this in a positive light... I'll just give my experience: They all think we are CRAZY! Oh, we got the condescending smiles and the weak, "That's great.", and , "That sounds like fun." We had no trouble identifying how fake these responses were. If they would have thought it was all that great, they would have beaten us to the punch. None of them did...

But, I'm sure your family will be different...

I have found that the periods of my life when I was the most miserable, was when I tried to conform to what my friends and family thought I should do...

Also, I heard from a very wise man once that 95% of all Americans retire then die broke and with regrets. So if you are hearing advice from people who are trying to tell you that what you are doing is not "normal", or "it's not what I'd do"... you're probably on the right track. Be part of the 5%. Follow your dream and your heart. You'll know it's right that way.
Old 06-19-2006, 07:00 AM   #117
Sunshine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2018
Congratulations chevylvr. The 3400 would be our choice if we were going to full time, and the sapphire interior is very pretty. As far as what other people or family think, you have to do what you want to do. Life is too short not to. It's a big step you are taking and there will be challenges along the way, but hey, life has been full of challenges so far. As long as you are happy with your decisions, you'll overcome the rough spots, and when it is all said and done you will have many happy miles ahead of you in your new Montana. Safe travels.
Sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 07:54 AM   #118
Montana_1240
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1240
It just takes a grain of salt to cope with the inevitable comments from some, (once you've sold the brick & stick house and totally start fulltiming,) that you are now, officially, Homeless Trailer Trash.

Steve
Montana_1240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 04:02 AM   #119
Driftwoodgal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5446
Ray and Coleen,

Great choice of colors, make and model. We haven't been out in ours to camp yet, but have sat in it and watched a little TV. Of course I spend alot of time looking at it and grinning.

I love our sapphire color and have already bought some area rugs to try to protect the carpet. We won't be fulltiming in ours, but will be staying it alot if the hurricane season is busy.

Good luck and God Bless.

Colleen
Old 06-20-2006, 12:52 PM   #120
drjjj
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5757
We ordered our 3400 last Saturday. We have been anticipating it for over a year. We really lucked out-our local dealer had a window of opportunity that allowed us to order a 2007 at the 2006 price. We ordered every option except: fireplace, double pane windows, gelcoat, and generator prep. We honestly feel we will use every other option. We are moving out of our home (currently 5500 sq ft) and into an extended stay hotel until our 3400 gets here, then will live in it full time for about a year until we build our new home. The way my wife likes to cook, the bigger fridge is worth it.
drjjj is offline   Reply With Quote