Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC on M.A.R.S. > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 08-02-2020, 08:22 AM   #21
mhs4771
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9969
IS is expensive, but look at the amount of money spent by others trying to fix suspension issues and the number of trips that have been cancelled or delayed because of issues.
We've had IS done to all three of our fifth wheels and in our 100K of travel have never had a suspension issue. So for us it was well worth the cost.
Old 08-02-2020, 08:33 AM   #22
bshgto
Montana Master

M.O.C. #16013
sameo sameo

From PNW

I experienced a suspension failure on the way across county a mere three months before I was scheduled to have the IS installed. I knew it was a question of when not if. As I said I frequently checked the components as I was leary of a failure anyway. The point I am making is that I thought was on top of the issue and in the blink of an eye the failure of the .05 clip that holds the spring pack together did me in.

I noticed one of mine was missing and replace all of them with SS hose clamps some time ago. So far so good.
2018 F350 Ford 6.7 Dually 4:10`s w/bags Top Dog (payload 5595 lbs)
Andersen Ultimate TrailAir Pin Mor/Ryde SRE 4000 X Factors.... real smooth ride
bshgto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 11:06 AM   #23
Montana Man
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21963
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhs4771 View Post
IS is expensive, but look at the amount of money spent by others trying to fix suspension issues and the number of trips that have been cancelled or delayed because of issues.
We've had IS done to all three of our fifth wheels and in our 100K of travel have never had a suspension issue. So for us it was well worth the cost.
I don't know what IS costs to install. Assuming $6k x three for 100k miles seems
like a lot. I've got that in miles and have spent approx. $1k for suspension maintenance.

I totally agree in spending for whatever one wants. Not debating that. I'm just not seeing a justifiable return for this one.
Old 08-02-2020, 11:18 AM   #24
kowbra
Established Member

M.O.C. #26690
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montana Man View Post
I don't know what IS costs to install. Assuming $6k x three for 100k miles seems
like a lot. I've got that in miles and have spent approx. $1k for suspension maintenance.

I totally agree in spending for whatever one wants. Not debating that. I'm just not seeing a justifiable return for this one.
I'd have to agree on this one... I'm about 50,000 miles in last 10 years, and more recently about 10,000+ per year. I've not had any major issues with just the cheap factory suspension...
Now, it's not perfect, and rutted up secondary roads do move the unit around a lot, so I might be interested in improving ride quality and get better durability as part of that.
The biggest, no matter what for me, is our new unit must have disc brakes. Now that I do see as a problem worth the cost to fix.
The 2021 Montana Legacy package does include disc brakes, but they have also included heavier 7k axles, along with 8k springs, according to the rep... I've not seen one so cannot comment on whether it is significantly upgraded or not. GVWR does not change.

I'm really leaning toward the Legacy package at this point, and try that out for a year or 2 to see how it works out.

Brad
kowbra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 11:21 AM   #25
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
We just had the is installed in June. If you go in solely to get the 7K is installed it will be 3900 for a tandem axle trailer
beeje is offline   Reply With Quote