Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MONTANA OWNERS CLUB COMMUNITY > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Old 07-19-2020, 09:57 AM   #1
montanaowner
Established Member

M.O.C. #26686
2010 Montana 3400 RL

Hello everyone. I just purchased a used Montana and will be living in it full time. I do contract work around the country and it seemed like a reasonable choice. Previous owner had quite a bit of work done to it. New AC in the back, new washer, vinyl flooring, new front leveling jacks. Everything works well as far as I can see. Of course with a 10 year old unit there are things that need to be done.

Had a few questions. Where can I find out what AC to buy as a replacement for the bedroom AC? It isn't cooling as well as I would like. Also, had a question about the dometic refrigerator. I am thinking a 10 year old unit may not last much longer. Any idea of cost for replacement and installation? I know it is expensive but would like to hear from folks who have had them replaced. I have to replace the battery as well. Going with a 2 battery setup wired in parallel. I was wondering if anyone had changed the charging setup so that you don't slam the batteries so hard charging them up. Any information on that would be very welcome.

Looking forward to having a comfortable place to live during my travels. Also looking forward to making a few friends on the forum. Love to hear from everyone.

montanaowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 10:18 AM   #2
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Quote:
Originally Posted by montanaowner View Post
...I have to replace the battery as well. Going with a 2 battery setup wired in parallel. I was wondering if anyone had changed the charging setup so that you don't slam the batteries so hard charging them up. Any information on that would be very welcome....
I don't have experience with your refer questions but I do know a little about converters in Montanas. You should find your converter and determine what brand and model it is.
I believe a 2010 has a Xantrac converter. It is a four stage charger and is perfect for your batteries. If your rig has the earlier Iota converter, it is NOT a four stage one. But it can be made so with the addition of an inexpensive IQ4 module. It just plugs in to the converter and magically upgrades it to a four stage unit.

Welcome to the MOC!

Carl n Susan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 01:37 PM   #3
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Our 2010 had a four stage converter, also before I replaced the AC I'd check the filters and both sets of fins on the AC to make sure they aren't packed with dirt. I recently saw a used unit at a dealer that was packed with crap both inside and on the roof.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 05:22 AM   #4
montanaowner
Established Member

M.O.C. #26686
Thank you to both of you for the great information. I appreciate it.
montanaowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 07:48 AM   #5
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
Our Dometic failed. It was not necessary to replace the frig itself, just the cooling unit on the backside of the frig. Done under warranty, the cooling unit/minor supply cost was $1800 and $600 in labor which is probably four hours or so. If your frig is 10 years old and working fine, I would not bother with it (original cooling unit may have already been replaced). Our Dometic was the large four door unit. If you do replace, recommend you consider a residential frig, much cheaper. If you are set up in a campground most of the time, you don't have to have an inverter. Frig will still stay cold for hours when you do have to move.
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 09:32 AM   #6
jimcol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7992
Send a message via AIM to jimcol Send a message via MSN to jimcol
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1retired06 View Post
Our Dometic failed. It was not necessary to replace the frig itself, just the cooling unit on the backside of the frig. Done under warranty, the cooling unit/minor supply cost was $1800 and $600 in labor which is probably four hours or so. If your frig is 10 years old and working fine, I would not bother with it (original cooling unit may have already been replaced). Our Dometic was the large four door unit. If you do replace, recommend you consider a residential frig, much cheaper. If you are set up in a campground most of the time, you don't have to have an inverter. Frig will still stay cold for hours when you do have to move.
Mike makes some really good points. If you have/need to stay with the RV fridge replacing just the cooling unit is not a big deal. I had to replace mine due to a leak in the cooling unit. $600 dollars for the Amish made unit and about 4 to 5 hours of sweat equity. Unit works better than the OEM cooling unit as it cools much quicker. As Mike said I would not bother with it as long as it works fine. But study up and be prepared if it does break.