Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 05-13-2019, 09:14 AM   #1
rsaylor3
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #24033
High Country 330rl/331rl loaded pin weight?

Been following on here for some time, as we have been looking to upgrade to a fifth wheel for the past couple of years. I think we have narrowed it down to the 331rl High Country. Seems like a great value in what we will be getting for the price!

I wanted to ask those that have one, what is your loaded to camp pin weight?

Thanks in advance!

rsaylor3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 10:09 AM   #2
jsb5717
Montana Master

M.O.C. #23668
There are variables in how different people pack. Washer/Dryer? A lot of tools in the storage area?

As an average there is a 22% difference between total dry weight and GVWR. Adding 22% to the empty hitch weight puts you at about 2900 lbs. That might be a good place to start. That allows for over 600 lbs loaded to the front.

My HC has a similar hitch weight. I haven't weighed it but it sets well in my RAM 3500 packing all of the standard items plus quite a few tools that I carry.
jsb5717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 05:09 PM   #3
rsaylor3
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #24033
Thanks Jeff!

No generator here, no washer/dryer. We are not full-timers, but do about 30 nights a year, mostly local here in Florida. We do 1 or 2 week long trips to other southeast states as well. So we are packing probably a lot lighter than most folks on this board.

I have had a 32' travel trailer for the past 4 1/2 years. Decided the kids and dog are growing up fast and we need more room! I also had the opportunity to tow my father in-laws new Montana and couldn't believe how much less you feel when towing it! I mean, my travel trailer is dialed in, but it's truly amazing the difference in feel. We have been looking at Solitudes, Pinnacles and Montana's, but after looking for the past year or so, we have decided the 331rl is the new camper for us!

I thought I would hear from more 330/331rl owners with their weights. I guess just as those with travel trailers, not many make it to the scales.

I see in your sig that you have the andersen ultimate hitch. I absolutely love the low weight on it, but am concerned about the High Country taking out my rear window without a slider. How do you like it and any advice or experience with it would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
Old 05-13-2019, 05:23 PM   #4
akoske
Established Member

M.O.C. #23553
Our 330RL loaded for weekend, no water, no washer dryer weighs in at 12,100lb and 2660 on the pin.
akoske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 05:26 PM   #5
jsb5717
Montana Master

M.O.C. #23668
I've had the truck and the Andersen longer than I've had the 305RL. I do love how it pulls and how easy it is to install/remove. I haven't really tested my extreme angles yet but it feels like I would get about 75-80%. I don't think the window would get hit but possibly the corner of the truck. I will definately have to get to a parking lot and test my limits just so I know.

If you've got a short box then it's definately a consideration. I just pay attention and try to avoid extreme angles anyway since it's pretty hard on the axles.
jsb5717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 06:31 PM   #6
rsaylor3
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #24033
akoske, thanks for the info! Really appreciate it. I just wanted to make sure I knew what I was getting into and I was figuring 3,000lbs max, but hoping for well under it.

Jeff, that's great to hear. I am going to look into that hitch further.