Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 05-12-2019, 06:21 PM   #1
bkirk
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #8193
New Montana’s

Ok Im probably going to stir up a hornets nest with this thread, but what the heck good dialogue is healthy. I have been a proud Montana owner for a long time and have had great luck with the brand, knock on REAL wood. I have looked at a few new Montana’s lately and must confess they look and feel cheap inside compared to my 2013 Big Sky. I just went into a 20th Annv. model and my 2008 10th Annv. put it to shame. No rear molded cap or anything. Ever since Montana started pushing the High Country, and Im not knocking, but frankly we know the cost is less for a reason, the whole line seems cheap compared to some other brands. Is it just me or does anyone else feel this way ? I always brag about the Montana’s I have owned, but frankly im embarrassed at what i have seen in the new ones from a quality stand point.

bkirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 07:05 PM   #2
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
I agree, up to a point. Our 2010 had a lot going for it and our 2017 is cheaper in some areas. On the other hand there are some significant improvements in areas that matter, like structure and moving utilities away from the tires under the slides. Overall we're happy with our 2017.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 07:13 PM   #3
druryg
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7984
Why did they quit the molded rear cap?

I think there may be a good reason. Our 2008 has the molded rear cap and it seems to take the most abuse. The front cap is still pretty shiny and nice but the rear cap has taken constant attention to keep it looking decent.
druryg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 07:38 PM   #4
QKnot
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #24001
Honestly, we looked long and hard at what we wanted and we were going to get a Grand Design Reflection, but the Montana High Country seemed to be much better quality to us and miles ahead of almost anything at the recent RV shows and dealer lots for the price. But I'm coming from a toy hauler, so maybe I'm not the best judge of the little things. I do know my Forest River had a ton of issues when I got it.
QKnot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 07:48 PM   #5
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477
Montana has been smart working 3 different trim levels with HC and Legacy plus the standard Montana providing a lot of options. The HC also brings more floor plans and provides a more affordable option to some. Comparing a high end model from an earlier year to a current HC is like comparing apples and oranges.

A lot of upgrades are now included on many models. G rated tires, upgraded pin boxes, carpet removal (my favorite), LED lights, disk brakes, improved steps to name a few. Many of these items you needed to add after you bought just a few years ago.

"Life is too short to stay indoors, enjoy the ride!"
AZ Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 09:21 AM   #6
dhuhn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17176
Send a message via MSN to dhuhn
Quote:
Originally Posted by druryg View Post

I think there may be a good reason. Our 2008 has the molded rear cap and it seems to take the most abuse. The front cap is still pretty shiny and nice but the rear cap has taken constant attention to keep it looking decent.
You can still get the molded rear cap it’s in the legacy package so it cost you more.

Dan & Sandy Huhn
2016 Montana 3720 2015 Chevy 3500 SWD Duro Max
Prev 2012 High Country 313RE 2012 Chevy 2500 DMax
dhuhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 04:10 PM   #7
Montana Man
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21963
My 2016 is a legacy with the molded painted end caps. You are right about the quality issue. My 2004 had way fewer issues than the new one. Once we fixed the issues, at our expense, it seems to be ok now. Our experience will prevent us for trading in and upgrading.
Old 05-13-2019, 05:23 PM   #8
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkirk View Post
Ok Im probably going to stir up a hornets nest with this thread, but what the heck good dialogue is healthy. I have been a proud Montana owner for a long time and have had great luck with the brand, knock on REAL wood. I have looked at a few new Montana’s lately and must confess they look and feel cheap inside compared to my 2013 Big Sky. I just went into a 20th Annv. model and my 2008 10th Annv. put it to shame. No rear molded cap or anything. Ever since Montana started pushing the High Country, and Im not knocking, but frankly we know the cost is less for a reason, the whole line seems cheap compared to some other brands. Is it just me or does anyone else feel this way ? I always brag about the Montana’s I have owned, but frankly im embarrassed at what i have seen in the new ones from a quality stand point.
We also have a 2013 Big Sky and also had a 2006 3400. You missed that Montana did away with the molded rear cap about 3 years ago and calls it "Montana" ( Flat back) .The moulded rear cap that we have became the Legacy Model.We got a upgrade at no cost. They wanted to give folks the opportunity to buy a "Montana" but at a lower price.(so they told us)
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 02:31 PM   #9
WaltBennett
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13325
We bought our 2010 used six years ago, and I doubt the previous owners put even 10k miles on it. We've towed it over 50k since and I can state that some things about it really have ticked me off. Most of them are minor, but the big one was the hot water tank being held up by a piece of composite wood that first got flexed, then damp when the tank cracked, then totally gave way. Flooded our living room area when we were in Minnesota. Thanks to a drop ship and friendly CG, we got on the way in a couple of days.

Other than that, we've had no serious issues with the build or quality of our Montana - can't say the same for some of the appliances, but that's not Keystone's fault. Both my wife and I agree though that new models of any brand or type that don't allow access to the bathroom, refer and at least some cabinet space are ones we'd never consider. Guess what - aint' none out there!
Old 05-15-2019, 02:56 PM   #10
Creeker
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23094
Frankly, you should be embarrassed with such snobbery and no thought
of others who chose to buy a new Montana. Regardless of trim level.

I'm actually embarrassed for you. What a selfish, thoughtless post to place
on a forum full of Montana High Country owners and new Montanas.

Very self absorbed or very small minded.
Creeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 06:34 PM   #11
RKassl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3699
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creeker View Post

Cool down, the man was just discussing his observations.
RKassl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 06:53 PM   #12
CaptnJohn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19865
Quote:

Bought an HC for the floor plan. Great unit with few cosmetic problems. If HC had the floor plan we wanted we would have bought another. Needs changed now a 2019 3761FL.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 11:31 PM   #13
WaltBennett
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13325
Quote:

I've looked at your post from every possible angle, but still have no idea what you're trying to say, other than you don't want to hear any criticism of your 'baby'. Hate to tell you, but you should peruse the forum some. You'll find gigabytes of this from hundreds of Montana owners, some so bad you'll even begin to wonder why you bought one. Think you either need to thicken you skin or go somewhere else - maybe there's a club that only has positive feeds? (Probably sponsored by Keystone!)
Old 05-16-2019, 07:24 AM   #14
jsb5717
Montana Master

M.O.C. #23668
Honestly, before we bought our recent HC I read many of these kinds of forums. We've been towing trailers for over 35 years so not a rookie or naive. If someone wanted to be talked out of ever getting into the towable market, just read the forums and blogs...a lot of hate out there.

We weren't getting talked out of anything but I wanted to be as educated as possible before our next purchase. We also had a budget. So...New? Used? Brand? Model? Generally speaking, Keystone has a better overall reputation than others in the same budget range and the Montana's tend to rise to the top of that list.

There are no perfect TT's or 5er's and I fully expect to deal with some kinds of issues with anything we tow. We've had our new Monty a little over a month, had it out for a trial run once, and it's back at the dealer for a few warranty/maintenance items...including drip pans for the gear boxes. But I've got to say that the list of repairs is quite small. Mostly just a few little cosmetic items like trim pieces and missing staples...easy fixes. Our dealer has been great and so far we love our Monty. We'll see how it works with the passing of time and as the newness wears off.

Bottom line: These kinds of forums and discussions are very helpful to new buyers seeking perspective and current users who are curious about what issues to look for in their own rigs. I've been helped a few times already with just a heads up of things to watch for.

Keep it coming...good and bad
jsb5717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 07:58 AM   #15
mtheo
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6171
I owned a 2007 300RK and now a 2018 3120. When shopping for new looked at a lot of new units, including GD. When looking saw a lot of cheap/Poor quality in every unit but still walked away with a Monty. All have good and bad. Just the way things are going.
mtheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 08:10 AM   #16
Creeker
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23094
I guess I did get my panties in a wad there didn't I. Lol

It wasn't the message, but how it was delivered. We've had problems and are not happy with several things but I can discuss it without the snide remarks and putting down others choices. I have enough sense to realize many people here have worked long and hard to be able to purchase their new RV.

I absolutely agree quality control needs much, much improvement across the entire Montana line. That goes for nearly every other RV manufacturer as well.

Its good to have choices and there are many of them out there. If the new Montanas don't meet your standards. Find something that does.
Creeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 09:37 AM   #17
waynemoore
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10552
I believe the majority of people buy a floor plan that they like. The brand is secondary to the floor plan.

Just saying is all.
Add 40 GAL tank in bed.
waynemoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 08:26 PM   #18
druryg
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7984
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtheo View Post
I owned a 2007 300RK and now a 2018 3120. When shopping for new looked at a lot of new units, including GD. When looking saw a lot of cheap/Poor quality in every unit but still walked away with a Monty. All have good and bad. Just the way things are going.
Bet you miss your 3000RK a bit. I hate to sell our 2008 10th Anniversary but our needs have changed. It has been a good rig for us and well adored. Other than decals very few troubles. I see the newer units with lots of nice features but the charm of the older units is lost in doing so. Full paint is awesome and wish ours was such. Bad thing is We cannot pull the Monty and a 24’ car trailer at the same time hence the class A diesel pusher. We will miss the 3000RK especially since the new decals are almost done.
druryg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 10:01 PM   #19
CaptnJohn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19865
Quote:
Originally Posted by waynemoore View Post
I believe the majority of people buy a floor plan that they like. The brand is secondary to the floor plan.

Just saying is all.
For us it is the opposite. After being burned by Forest River twice tried Heartland and it was OK. Still not happy we tried a Cougar and liked it enough to stay with Keystone. Last was an HC and now a Montana. We would have kept the HC if another HC or a Montana did not have a floor plan we wanted.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 05:40 AM   #20
Wicked1
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #21100
Quote:
Originally Posted by druryg View Post

Now they only give you the rear fiberglass cap in a Package called Montana Legacy Package which also includes the In-Command Tablet controller instead of switches everything is done thru a digital tablet and you can sync your phone to it to control, slides, guages, leveling to some extent, and lights. Adds about $6,000-$7,000 to the overall package cost.