Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MONTANA OWNERS CLUB COMMUNITY > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Old 09-04-2018, 06:19 PM   #1
LoLadTraveling
Established Member

M.O.C. #12295
Trav'lin' J's learning this forum

Lois and I (Laddie) have been full timing since July 1, 2006. We have been to all but 3 states in the USA and all but 4 provinces of Canada in those few short years. We have been following MOC for most of those years. This is the first time that I am attempting to post a thread(?) and hope it works.

In our travels this summer, we picked up some uninvited guests - small flying ants about 1/8 to 1/4 inch in size. Have picked up tiny ants previously and was able to rid them with Terro in short order. Tried using Terro on these critters, but they don't care for that delicacy. These ants are appearing mainly when the temperature outside gets into the low 80's. They show up on the bedroom ceiling coming from either behind the dresser or the medicine cabinet. As soon as the temps drop below 80, they don't show up.

Has anyone encountered these ants and if so, what did you do to get rid of them . . . . if you did get rid of them.

Guess I forgot to introduce our selves. Lois (my wife) and I (Laddie) have been full timing since July 1, 2006. Our previous residence was Washburn, WI were I worked in a metal engraving company for 46 years. We have been married 54 years, raising 2 boys and 1 girl. Prior to moving, we sold our house and changed our residency to South Dakota. We moved out of the house the last day of June 2006 at midnight and into our new home. At that time it was a new 2005 Montana 2980RL that we purchased the year before when I was initially planning on retiring. While in Quartzite, AZ in 2014, we purchased our present Montana, a 3150RL. I think that's all I have to offer now.

LoLadTraveling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 07:03 PM   #2
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
First, welcome to the forum. Second, I think if what normally works doesn't I'd consult a professional exterminator. Several types of flying ants can be a serious problem. We have our rig treated every May every year.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 07:15 PM   #3
jimcol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7992
Send a message via AIM to jimcol Send a message via MSN to jimcol
We picked up similar pest once and they drove us crazy for a couple of days. Neighbor recommended one of those battery operated electric fly swatter found at Walmart or Harbor freight. Every time we saw one wave the swatter, he/she would take flight. ZAP. Took a couple of days but we got rid of them. Had same experience with gnats, same solution.
Old 09-04-2018, 07:19 PM   #4
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
For ants, wife uses peppermint oil and cotton balls. Works for us.
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 07:22 PM   #5
LoLadTraveling
Established Member

M.O.C. #12295
Thank you. Was hoping to solve the problem personally if possible.
Old 09-04-2018, 07:27 PM   #6
LoLadTraveling
Established Member

M.O.C. #12295
Thank you. Ants don't take flight until I touch then. Been killing them by squashing with finger. Now I've been using a baster and then sucking up water and discharge after drowning them.
Old 09-04-2018, 09:14 PM   #7
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
This may sound strange but I just read an article but can't remember where it was. The article said to use wasp spray to get rid of the ants that are in your unit. The article said to spray them directly for an instant kill and if you can see where they are coming in or the trail where the take to spray this area also. The ants will get the liquid on them and take it back to the nest and infect the rest of the nest and the queen and the nest is killed. It said it may take about 4-5 days for this to take place but the article said it will work.
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 09:28 PM   #8
LoLadTraveling
Established Member

M.O.C. #12295
Thanks for this reply. Did you use the long range (23 feet +) spray or did you use the old mist type spray. Was there any kind of after odor because my wife is VERY sensitive to odors and gets migraine headaches.
Old 09-04-2018, 09:36 PM   #9
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
I personally did not use it yet. It didn't make any difference as to which spray to use but if you have the short spray rather than the stream spray I'm sure it would work better. The article did not say anything about the smell but most of these are not longing smell after using it.
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 08:14 AM   #10
grumpylane
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #20516
do you use a regular exterminator? and what all do you spray for?

2017 F350SD/4x4/DRW
Montana 356TBF
Cory
grumpylane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 12:37 PM   #11
wal_mart
Established Member

M.O.C. #10728
Sevin dust usually takes care of most insects. Dust ares where you think they congregate. They will take it to meeting area.

Try to get a duster such as this.

https://www.amazon.com/Pest-Pistol-R..._&dpSrc=detail
wal_mart is offline   Reply With Quote