Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 11-06-2017, 09:20 PM   #1
Bruce0850
Established Member

M.O.C. #19350
Looking for info on satelite tv setup

I have DirecTV at home, and am looking to get service in the RV. What do I need? Antenna, control box, cables, etc. Looking for recommendations. I know nothing about satellite service. I just pay the bill at home.

Old 11-06-2017, 09:48 PM   #2
topjustice
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19835
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce0850 View Post
I have DirecTV at home, and am looking to get service in the RV. What do I need? Antenna, control box, cables, etc. Looking for recommendations. I know nothing about satellite service. I just pay the bill at home.
I have Dish Network but I assume the procedure is the same for DirectTV. I just installed an extra receiver box at home, which only cost $7 month to rent. Once the receiver is set up at home I took it to the trailer and used it there with a carry out antenna. Not sure what DirectTV antenna to suggest but I'm sure someone else will. Best antenna connection is with a 25' cable, but no more than 50'. Use HDMI from receiver to TV. Setup will display on TV so just follow instructions as you would at home.
topjustice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 04:51 AM   #3
jfaberna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13909
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce0850 View Post
I have DirecTV at home like you do. It's the Genie DVR and 2 Genie Clients. I simple remove them from my house when I go camping and put them in the RV. You want to duplicate what you have at home. In my case the install is relatively new and that means a SWM wired system. i.e. one wire coming from the dish to a SWM splitter and SWM power supply.

With DirecTV to get HD you need a Slimline dish. Either a Winegard Trav'ler on the roof or a regular Slimline dish on a tripod as I use.

I run one cable from the dish tripod to my convenience center where I install the SWM splitter. I put the SWM power supply in the entertainment cabinet. The receivers and their power supplies are brought from home.

DirecTV doesn't know you've even moved your equipment and assuming you can aim a dish, then you're in business. However, if you are outside the local beam for your local channels, you will not receive them, about 500 miles.

Home that helps. I know I've left out some details and options for not removing you home equipment, but this is a start.
jfaberna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 06:56 AM   #4
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
We run two directv receivers, taken from the house. Have the receivers, tripod dish, and coax cables. Also a compass for azimuth settings. When snowbirding in Florida, I call Directv and they swing the local channels for me. Easy. Just did that 2 November. Directv has no problem with us relocating equipment, and actually maintains both NC and FL zipcodes in our account records. When on short trips, we take one receiver, and use the roof antenna for locals with the bedroom tv. Used to hook up a simple A/B switch, to switch back and forth.
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 11:17 AM   #5
hybridhauler
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13723
We have Direct TV at home. We contacted them for an additional box for the RV and they sent out a Tec and he installed it. It’s been flawless for 3 years.
hybridhauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 08:11 PM   #6
masterdrago
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20587
I've found that our Dish boxes do not like A/B switches or being sent through an audio receiver. For some reason the sound gets dropped. I had to run the video from the Dish box using 3 color cables and the sound through a digital TosLink to get it to work at home. In the 5r, we will just use a simple hdmi cable direct to the display since the sound system in the 5r does not have surround.
masterdrago is offline   Reply With Quote