Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 10-27-2017, 07:53 PM   #1
vipermanden
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18510
So is the Alpine or Montana the top of the line?

I see on Keystone's site that the Premium 5th wheels are the Montana, and the Alpine? So which is the top of the line for them? I'm thinking of trading in my 3820FK 2017 full body paint 5th wheel after this next season for either the Montana 3921 FB, or the Alpine 3700 FL .

Old 10-27-2017, 08:28 PM   #2
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477
Vipermanden,

As you note Keystone shows them at the same level. I looked at both fairly hard. In the end, I found the interiors a little nicer on Montana and I liked the MorRyde over the Alpine suspension. Alpine has dishwashers as standard equipment but that was not a big seller for us.

"Life is too short to stay indoors, enjoy the ride!"
AZ Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 09:06 PM   #3
topjustice
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19835
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ Traveler View Post
Vipermanden,

As you note Keystone shows them at the same level. I looked at both fairly hard. In the end, I found the interiors a little nicer on Montana and I liked the MorRyde over the Alpine suspension. Alpine has dishwashers as standard equipment but that was not a big seller for us.
The Alpine also comes with the In Command system as standard. I agree the interiors in the Montana are more luxurious. The Alpine hasn't been around long enough to gain the respect that the Montana has achieved. The Montana will have a higher resale value and demand for now. I just sold a 2014 Alpine and found that out. I'm going for a new Montana in the Spring.
topjustice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 09:31 PM   #4
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
The In Command system would have been a deal breaker for us. We don't have a Legacy in part because we didn't want any part of it. It's just us, but it's all about choice. With our 2010 we just took the battery out of the remote and stored it till we traded. From what I've been told, you don't have that option with In Command.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 10:14 PM   #5
Dam Worker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17164
Like stated in earlier post both rated as top of the line. Montana 96" wide, Alpine is a wide body. You can now get the other upgrades that used to be only available the Big Sky like heatpumps, aluminum covered awnings etc. Those were always available on the Alpine. Both made by Keystone with top of the line quality control, well at least on some units as members on this forum have had problem free units. Oops sorry for straying from posts subject.

Tom Marty
Old 10-27-2017, 10:43 PM   #6
MARK A
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18157
Quote:
Originally Posted by vipermanden View Post
I see on Keystone's site that the Premium 5th wheels are the Montana, and the Alpine? So which is the top of the line for them? I'm thinking of trading in my 3820FK 2017 full body paint 5th wheel after this next season for either the Montana 3921 FB, or the Alpine 3700 FL .
The Alpine is also 102" wide.

Mark
Old 10-28-2017, 06:32 AM   #7
psomers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12724
Also the Alpine is not welcome at the Goshen rally. Never understood that. Also Avalanche not welcome.
psomers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 07:05 AM   #8
jfaberna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13909
Quote:
Originally Posted by DQDick View Post
The In Command system would have been a deal breaker for us. We don't have a Legacy in part because we didn't want any part of it. It's just us, but it's all about choice. With our 2010 we just took the battery out of the remote and stored it till we traded. From what I've been told, you don't have that option with In Command.
I agree. Having worked and sold computers and microprocessors for 30 years, I don't want one controlling my RV lights, slides, or jacks. When a system is critical and needs to be controlled by a computer, it get tested and packaged a lot different than the way In Command is setup. Open up a modern engine control module and then compare to the In Command circuit board. Night and day.
jfaberna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 11:00 AM   #9
bowlesj
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #18569
Interesting. So what’s not working for you with your FK? We still love ours but haven’t had any big problems like your axle issue. So just curious.

John - 2016 3820FK
bowlesj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 11:04 AM   #10
vipermanden
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18510
I don't see the width specs any where about the Alpine that says it is 6" wider than the Montana. I like the Alpine 3701 FL model, since it has a front window like we have on the 3820FK Montana. I only see Alpine mention way down in the features "Big Body width with next generation construction"? If it is 6 inches wider, do they compromise on the wall thickness, or do they make the wall thickness thicker for more insulation, or is it the same wall thickness, and you actually get 6 more inches of space in the interior?
Old 10-28-2017, 11:09 AM   #11
vipermanden
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18510
Besides the night shades and the axles, and the A/C and the refer ? All of these are supposedly being fixed, but I am thinking two bathrooms would be nice, and two sinks in the master bath would be nice like the Alpine 3701 has, and a residential refer that the 3820FK could not come with? I am also thinking I want to have the independent suspension and disc brakes on my next 5ver. Not sure if they do this as an option at the factory or not? I wish they would put three axles on these bigger units, or at least go with 8,000 pound axles, so we are not living on the edge so much?
Old 10-28-2017, 05:07 PM   #12
masterdrago
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20587
When we went looking our dealer said the Solitude and Montana were the top of their manufactures lines. Never mentioned Alpine. I was told that neither offered upgrades to axle, disc brakes or I S suspension. To get it we would need to spend 20-50k more on a unit. We opted to upgrade after the fact. We'll be getting our unit in a few weeks - a 3791RD
masterdrago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 07:43 PM   #13
topjustice
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19835
Quote:
I don't see the width specs any where about the Alpine that says it is 6" wider than the Montana. I like the Alpine 3701 FL model, since it has a front window like we have on the 3820FK Montana. I only see Alpine mention way down in the features "Big Body width with next generation construction"? If it is 6 inches wider, do they compromise on the wall thickness, or do they make the wall thickness thicker for more insulation, or is it the same wall thickness, and you actually get 6 more inches of space in the interior?
The Alpine is 100 inches wide. If you download the brochure from the Keystone site it specifically says the width is 8'4". I just sold mine but I did measure it and that agrees with the specs. I'm sure the wall thickness is the same as other units so you would get that extra room inside, although minuscule.
Old 10-28-2017, 08:07 PM   #14
MARK A
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18157
Quote:
Same wall thickness as our Montanas, but instead of the wall sitting on the floor deck, the walls are “hung” on the outside of the frame.
Mark
MARK A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 08:24 PM   #15
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Mark A-- That explains the extra two inches or four inches in width then if the Alpine walls are hung on the outside of the frame. An extra two or four inches is not going to make that much difference and it sure doesn't make any difference in storage then either. You can get the command center on the Montana but it is only on the Legacy series. The difference between the Legacy and the regular Montana is the back cap and a few other items but basically the same unit. I myself would go for one without the Command Center because if it messes up you have not control then on doing a whole lot of things on the unit.
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 08:46 PM   #16
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
There was a similar discussion of the differences between the Montana and the Alpine. I remember posting a "Market Analysis" from 2014 of some of the differences. It may be dated by now, but seeing how slow the RV manufacturers are to adopt change, it may still be somewhat current.

Montana/Alpine

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 10:43 PM   #17
masterdrago
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20587
I just noticed something else that I think is significant. Going to the Keystone web pages in specs, the Alpine has 235/85R16 tires while the Montana has 235/80R16 across all the models. That's a 1,280# difference in the load carrying margin. I do not see that extra reflected in the ccc though. Since we did not look at the Alpine, I would not know the selling $$$ difference.

I know that for us, we liked that both living room and bedroom were elevated 2 steps AND the rear basement has the big pullout storage in the Montana 3791RD.
masterdrago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 10:57 PM   #18
topjustice
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19835
Quote:
Originally Posted by masterdrago View Post
I just noticed something else that I think is significant. Going to the Keystone web pages in specs, the Alpine has 235/85R16 tires while the Montana has 235/80R16 across all the models. That's a 1,280# difference in the load carrying margin. I do not see that extra reflected in the ccc though. Since we did not look at the Alpine, I would not know the selling $$$ difference.

I know that for us, we liked that both living room and bedroom were elevated 2 steps AND the rear basement has the big pullout storage in the Montana 3791RD.
An Alpine comparable to a Montana in size and floor plan can be purchased for about $5,000 to $7,000 less than a Montana. Holman Motors and RV in Batavia, Ohio near Cincinatti has the best deals I have found. I bought a new Keystone Outback TT from them in 2011. They carry Alpines but not Montanas.
Old 10-29-2017, 12:08 AM   #19
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477
I believe Keystone will not allow a dealer to sell new Montana and Alpine off the same lot. Camping World sells both but not at the same location.

"Life is too short to stay indoors, enjoy the ride!"
AZ Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 11:06 AM   #20
topjustice
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19835
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ Traveler View Post
I believe Keystone will not allow a dealer to sell new Montana and Alpine off the same lot. Camping World sells both but not at the same location.
I bought my Alpine from a dealer in Spokane and they indeed carried both Alpine and Montana. At the time we wanted a certain Montana but as luck would have it they sold it the day before so we chose the Alpine because we were already in the middle of summer and wanted to get going with our plans. The Alpine was virtually trouble free for the three years we had it. The only issue at the end of the three years was leaking gray tank valves.