Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 05-24-2014, 11:26 AM   #21
steelpony5555
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12096
Hey Artie do you use the Good Sam trip planner?? I use it all the time and it is fairly accurate at estimating fuel costs for a trip. They can give the fuel cost at areas at certain spots on your trip path.

steelpony5555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 10:12 AM   #22
Artemus Gordon
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12339
Steel I just estimate and go. Take miles off GPS and figure 10 MPG. That way I am well covered! Even if I get lost and afraid! Lol
Artemus Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 03:38 AM   #23
Charli
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #14048
Just completed my first long trip, 1100 km, with this truck and found the manual calculation and the on board computer were very close. I can't get my head around the metric measurements so end up converting to miles per Imp Gallon which takes a bit of work or I switch the truck computer over from Km to miles and get the miles per US Gallon and add 20% to get the Imp. Calculation which is what I grew up with.
Got 22 mpg (Imp) on the way out (not towing) and just over 20 coming back at 105 km/h (65 mph). Biggest difference was wind conditions . MPG is down a bit from previous truck which was '08 Ram 2500 but than this truck is much heavier.
Will be picking up new Mountaineer in a few weeks so will see what 12,000 lbs in tow will do to the mpg. Am hoping for 10-12 mpg but at the end of the day I'm going camping regardless.
Charli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 03:58 AM   #24
steelpony5555
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12096
Yeah that's easy enough but the one on Good Sam figures in the difference in fuel costs across the country. When I start out here where I pay $3.51 a gallon and end up somewhere up north paying $4+ a gallon that makes a big difference. It is a pretty nice program that will plot out Good Sam campgrounds, truck stops, rest areas, etc... It does show the cost of fuel at different points along your route... About 1-2 years ago they changed the program but there was such a big outcry from RVers that they changed it back lol lol... Oh almost forgot if you go to the trip planner site there click on the "original trip planner"....
steelpony5555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 12:24 PM   #25
Hooker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7915
It's a bit different in a MH, but I've incorporated everything into computing MPG. I keep track of everything that uses diesel...Aqua Hot, generator and idle time. The AH and generator have guages that note hours run. I compute the hours times the fuel used per hour and add idle time and the fuel used then. I was surprised at how long I do idle...start, pull out of garage and hook tow car, all rest stops, when at the CG, I'm at idle while putting out the jacks and slides. When all these factors are included in the MPG...it is very close to what the computer says it is.
Hooker is offline   Reply With Quote