Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 01-10-2014, 03:14 PM   #21
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Ed,
You can dispute the "survival" skills as you wish, but I can assure you that our surviving these last two adverse episodes has been directly related to our camping experiences. I would not have two gasoline powered generators available to offset power losses if I had not purchased them to accompany our first rig. I would not have had water immediately on hand if it were not for our use of five gallon jugs to carry water with us (DW's choice) when camping. If one did not have water on hand, it is not easy to come by when a half million people are in panic mode and buying up every ounce of water on every store shelf in a 50 mile radius from the main affected area. We have checked on our neighbors, donated water that I was fortunate enough to acquire at the onset of the emergency to people in our church who were not as timely in their response and were left without. As I said, we are blessed because of the abilities and resources we have which were directly as a result of our camping experiences, tracing back decades to our beginning "tent" camping days. With that said, you are correct in that the main focus of all should be praying for those who do not have the resources nor the abilities to be completely prepared in times of emergencies. That is what happens here and I would hope everywhere, it is a part of being neighbors and friends. In times of need, the true nature of people emerges, I have seen both the good and the bad in the last few hours!!
Bingo

bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 04:05 PM   #22
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Hang in there guys! Following this from a distance is truly terrifying.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 06:38 PM   #23
Irlpguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12935
Bingo I am glad you have been blessed in life to have owned a trailer and were in a position to purchase generators for use during your camping adventures. A great number of campers don't have them. We always carry 5 gal of water in a jug as well, but we usually dump it out shortly after returning to minimize any taste issues and so that we always have fresh water with us. Again you were lucky to still have that water available.
We keep 48 bottles of water in our home all the time strictly for emergency use, along with some food and emergency supplies. That has nothing to do with camping or past camping experience, we just decided to make that provision in case we ever needed them.
The vast majority of folks affected in your area unfortunately do not have those things and in all likelyhood will not learn the lesson of being somewhat prepared for even a small emergency once they get back to normal living again. That's just the way it is.

I hope the water issue is quickly resolved and there are not long lasting effects from the spill. Glad you are getting by better than some and also that you share what you have. It is the thing to do under these circumstances.

Irlpguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 11:38 PM   #24
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110

Bingo, been thinking of you guys.
Glad it’s going well and your camping skills helped out.

We had a minor power glitch on Christmas Eve. It wasn’t as extensive as what yours was. However, since we’re total electric it became quite a concern real fast. Our power was off for four hours until about 02:30 Christmas morning. I guess I could claim camping skills a little where we kept a “camp-fire” going. Right now our only heat source back-up is the fireplace. I do have a generator but don’t have it wired in with a switch yet. Oh I guess there’s always the Monty to fall back on but I didn’t have it ready. The battery’s probably dead and the gas is nearly empty so that wasn’t going to help much.

However, campers do have options!