Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 10-27-2008, 12:46 PM   #1
swanny
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8816
mor-ryde hitch

while bringing my new Monty home Sunday i noticed a sound like metal to metal coming from my hitch area. it would happen on braking and starting out. is this normal for this type of hitch? i checked it out and all seems ok. Mor-ryde pin and Pull-rite hitch

swanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 01:32 PM   #2
mail2us
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6920
What do you specifically have for a PullRite hitch, such as Superglide 18K, as example...Do you have the MorRyde King pin on your new unit?

Metal to metal sounds...Do the way tubes of your SuperGlide hitch have wet lubricant(white lithium grease) or dry graphite lubicrant (SlipPlate) on them? Was the hitch installed by your Montana dealer? and did they lubricate those way tubes that the hitch moves on?? If they didn't then you should soon before moving too far?? Not sure if this helps. Dennis
mail2us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 01:43 PM   #3
swanny
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8816
sorry i do have a superglide 16k. yes, the Mor-ryde pin. Monty is an 09 3465sa.
never had this noise before. when i come to a stop "clunk" and start out "clunk"
Old 10-27-2008, 02:32 PM   #4
noneck
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6263
Send a message via AIM to noneck
I get some chucking on start/stop due to slop in the pin hole. I do not have a slider as my 5th wheel hitch is a B&W Little Rocker 15k. If that is what your talking about then its normal...maybe others will provide other descriptions that better fit your situation as my setup is different.
noneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 03:03 PM   #5
bw2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5592
There is an adjustment bolt on the cab side of the pullrite. This can be adjusted to take some of the "slop" out. I believe this is described on their documents. There is a white plastic pad attached to the bolt assembly. Over time, the pad wears and requires some adjustment maintenance.
bw2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 03:12 PM   #6
ole dude
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7128
On the Mor-Ryde pin box are four nylon blocks that slide when starting and stopping, a little lubricant on them can help with the noise. They slide on the bottom plate. This helped with making mine not so noisy.
ole dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 04:48 PM   #7
swanny
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8816
in looking at the pin box that is what i saw. i could see were the nylon disks were rubbing on the plate. so i guess the whole bottom plate move back and forth a little???
Old 10-28-2008, 12:30 AM   #8
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by swanny

while bringing my new Monty home Sunday i noticed a sound like metal to metal coming from my hitch area. it would happen on braking and starting out. is this normal for this type of hitch? i checked it out and all seems ok. Mor-ryde pin and Pull-rite hitch
No on both counts. I have the MorRyde and the Superglide and there should be no clunking with either when stopping or going.

When the TV is not attached to the trailer, Does the SuperGlide hitch assembly move freely? Does the hitch assembly slide back and forth on the Way Bars with little or no pressure?
Start by adjusting the Nylon block that the Cam Arm rides against....
ADJUSTING THE TURNTABLE CAM ARM Scroll down to Page 10
Grabbing hold of the Handle you should have to pull real hard in order to slide the hitch beyond the "center" position. If you can slide the hitch manually with little effort than the Nylon Block needs adjustment. A proberly adjusted Nylon Block should take all your strength to move back and forth from center position. Once you are beyond "center" it should move freely.

Any questions??? PM me.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 02:28 AM   #9
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We also have the Mr-Ryde pin box and have never noted a "clunk" under normal conditions...Perhaps on a hard stop or a to fast start..
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 01:01 PM   #10
ole dude
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7128
My Mor-Ryde was hitting against the stops when taking off from a stop and when braking. I had to increase the size of the rubber one size. From a size 4 to a size 5. This stopped the hitting the stops when pulling out or stopping. This past week end I noticed a new noise when starting and stopping. I got another driver to start the pull and then stop a few times while I was on the running board watching the action.(DIDN'T WANT MY TOES GETTING UNDER THE WHEELS). What I saw and heard was the nylon discs were dragging on the bottom plate as it moved back and forth, and the noise I heard was coming from that action. I put some lubricant on the bottom plate for the nylon to slide on, the noise went away. Thats my story and I'm sticking to it.
ole dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 02:01 PM   #11
swanny
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8816
thanks guys, i'll be checking all your helpful hints out soon. thanks ole dude, your idea about the rubber size. i did read that somewhere before.
Old 10-28-2008, 03:36 PM   #12
mail2us
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6920
I had the Mor/Ryde king pin installed by Mor/ryde at the National Rally in Goshen. I was told that "normally" a #5 is the size for "most" Montana's. Having said that, find out what size you have. The 4 white nylon items, white shear spring should move horizonally 1 to 1 1/2 inches and you can tell from the dust marks they leave.

The white nylon item that bw2 refers to is called the Forward Shaft Stop Assembly. It too requires adjustment and should not be unusually loose. That may not be a problem yet as it's new but they do wear over time and become flat rather than concave.

That stop block or Forward Shaft Stop Assembly, if adjusted correctly will deter the hitch from moving freely back and forth without the trailer hooked up. If it slides freely you need to adjust this stop block. Glenn covered this very well.

Because your unit is new these talking points maybe mute at this time. When you can, read SuperGlide owners manual and parts list that you should have received when you got your new Montana.

Not to confuse the concern you have, I thought that 16K SuperGlides were being replaced or phased with 18K's? I maybe totally wrong on this matter. Another source for you is to call Mor/Ryde Service Manager Ben Wiginton at Elkhart Indiana and talk with him or leave him a message to call you back. He's very helpful...Tel. 1-877-PULLRITE, ext.219.He could be the source to get this hitch matter corrected to your satisfaction. There should be little or no chucking back and forth with the Mor/Ryde hitch. Our's is so smooth and enjoy this product. Hope this helps. Dennis
Old 10-28-2008, 03:53 PM   #13
swanny
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8816
hi mail2us, great info thanks! and yes the 16k is out. i bought the 16k from a dealer brand new for price of a 14k last year. he (the dealer) went out of his way to find the 16k i wanted.
Old 10-28-2008, 04:21 PM   #14
mail2us
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6920
My error Swanny on Mor/Ryde telephone number. I gave you Pullrite.

Here is Mor/Ryde's tel for Ben Wiginton personal number:

866 990-7433, ext. 219.

Sorry for the confusion. Dennis