Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 02-15-2008, 02:37 AM   #1
VanMan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9
GPAA Members?

I didn't get a single reply from another forum (sitting Around the Campfire)so I thought I'd ask here.

Any GPAA members out there? Anybody done any prospecting in AZ, NM, or TX ? I'm thinking about signing up just to try it once, but was wondering about how the properties and RVin' works.

VanMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 04:01 AM   #2
jretz
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6321
VanMan, I was a member of GPAA from its begining until 1993. Back then the claims in the book were either hard to get to or were well worked by recreational prospects. Some were in the areas with camping and RV areas nearby. The better areas for prospecting and RVin' were held by the Lost Dutchman Association, the membership owned claims. These had camping facilities and were easily accessible but you had to become a Lost Dutchman member, which was a little costly. Most of the claims I worked gave moderate returns, maybe 1/4oz to 1oz over a weekend. I did do good on a couple of GPAA claims that I worked for an extend period, over 1/2oz per day.

The claims themselves are personal claims that members turn over to GPAA to maintain. They are mainly on BLM, Forestry lands and all the rules pertaining to the are must be followed, including camping and off road vehicles. Check out the claims book and see if there are any claims in the areas you are interested in and what their status is. You can usually find a copy of the claims book at prospecting equipment and metal detecting shops. While in Quartzsite I talked to a present member of GPAA and the Lost Dutchman Association. He said the claims book has gotten smaller, but the claims in it were better than in the past. Overall its a good way to get started in recreational prospecting but don't get any ideas of getting rich there. Also with the local chapters that have started you can become involved with people familiar with their areas and find some of the not so known areas to prospect.

Good Luck! hope you find the Mother Lode out there. Remember the fresh air and exercise you get from prospecting is just as beneficial as the gold found.
jretz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 01:42 AM   #3
Tom Gina 06
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5993
My brother and his wife are Lost Dutchmans members and they have quit dry washing because of the Desert Fever risk. He loves his membership and spends his winters with friends in AZ staying busy. So busy we talk less then half the time we talk when he is not there can't ever get a hold of him. At close to a thousand bucks a troy oz. might be a good deal if you find the mother load or not. I would contact the GPAA and they will be happy to help I am sure.

Remember to follow your dreams that is what this is all about. Freedom!
Tom Gina 06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 04:03 AM   #4
VanMan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9
Thanks Tom - I was hoping you'd say we'd find some around here! We're south of Weatherford, TX. I joined up and already got my package of goodies. What I was after mostly was their guide and the right to get on the claims. We'll be in NM and AZ a litlle next month, so I thought there might be an opportunity to try my hand a little. I just thought if I could find enough for gas $$, I'd be happy!!
VanMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 01:01 PM   #5
TexasTraveler
Established Member

M.O.C. #7892
VaanMan, if you can, please keep us posted on how everything works out for you (guide, claims, how productive, accessability, etc.). We're camping on the Llano River in central Texas right now and if the water in the river isn't too cold, we'll be doing some panning this weekend.
TexasTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote