Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 10-07-2007, 02:49 AM   #1
Paintpro99
Established Member

M.O.C. #3285
CHARGING BATTERIES

My 3400RL has two deep cycle batteries. One battery has more cold cranking amps than the other one and I was wondering if this matters. Also, we live in a cold climate in the winter and I wanted to know if I should take the batteries out of the RV over the winter or if they would be ok leaving them out in the cold. We travel south in February and I would like to make sure they are fully charged before we go. Should I charge each one separately or can I leave them hooked together and charge them both at the same time? I keep the switch to the batteries turned off when we are not using the trailer so there is nothing drawing on them. Also, what should I use to top up batteries if they are low in water? Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Paintpro99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 05:17 AM   #2
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Hi Dan and Darlene! Here is my 2-centavos:

Typically batteries will only freeze if they are allowed to disharge completely. To avoid that for long term storage, I would pull the cables in addition to the master switch. Theoretically the master switch should work, but the 12V equipment in the forward compartment is not controlled by the master switch, including the slides and landing gear.

Although having different capacity batteries isn't a major issue, you ultimately would like to have batteries that are twins in size, brand, and age. The primary reason is the charger operates on voltage and will minimize output once it sees the desired voltage of around 13.4V or so. Often the voltage is achieved across both batteries prematurely with the smaller or newer battery compensating for the larger capacity or older battery. As a result, the larger or older battery doesn't get a full charge. I wouldn't bother trying to independantly charge the batteries, as neither the Montana converter nor your charge line from your pickup is capable of that anyway which would be your primary charging methods while on an outing. Just remember next time you need batteries to try and get twins, regardless of size.

As far as topping of the electrolyte, I beleive the preferred is distilled water.

Welcome to the Forum and enjoy that nice rig!

bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 05:54 AM   #3
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Absolutely "distilled water ONLY" never tap water or acid to refill a battery. Distilled water can be purchased at Wal*Mart or most super markets.
A fully charged battery will not freeze so be sure both batteries have a full charge even if you have to use a separate 12V charger and recharge each battery individually. Taking them out of the trailer is not necessary but I would disconnect all cables.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 02:44 PM   #4
Driftwoodgal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5446
Send a message via AIM to Driftwoodgal
Heah gang,

What is the reason for the distilled water in lieu of tap water?

Colleen
Driftwoodgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 04:07 PM   #5
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Colleen -

No minerals or chemicals in distilled water. The minerals and chemicals (Chlorine) react and corrode the battery causing early fail.

bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 04:37 PM   #6
mobrownies
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #886
You did not say if you had two 6 volt batteries in series or if they are 12 volt. If they are 12 volt, they probably should not be run in parallel, so you just switch between them. I have been told that the odds of getting a close enough match between two store bought batteries is next to impossible, so they work against each other and you end up with less capacity than two single batteries. If they are 6 volt batteries, the difference in size is less critical, but not optimum.
mobrownies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 07:17 AM   #7
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I used to leave our Montana plugged in to shore power all winter and that kept the batteries charged. If that's an option for you, it's worth considering.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 06:29 AM   #8
01RAMer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7316
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bsmeaton

Theoretically the master switch should work, but the 12V equipment in the forward compartment is not controlled by the master switch, including the slides and landing gear.
Brad,
I have an 07 3400RL (June 06 build) and the landing gear does operate with the switch off, but I do not have power to the slides, flashlight or any of the alarms. With all my testing the landing gear is the only this powered with the switch off. Are you sure of this statement, or do you know if there was there a design change between mine and yours, and if so would you know why? Just curious because I've heard others make this statement, yet mine doesn't seem to conform to these statements.
01RAMer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 02:08 PM   #9
BirdingRVer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5740
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by 01RAMer

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bsmeaton

Theoretically the master switch should work, but the 12V equipment in the forward compartment is not controlled by the master switch, including the slides and landing gear.
Brad,
I have an 07 3400RL (June 06 build) and the landing gear does operate with the switch off, but I do not have power to the slides, flashlight or any of the alarms. With all my testing the landing gear is the only this powered with the switch off. Are you sure of this statement, or do you know if there was there a design change between mine and yours, and if so would you know why? Just curious because I've heard others make this statement, yet mine doesn't seem to conform to these statements.
My 2007 3075RL works like 01RAMer's 2006 3400.

Our first long trip with the Montana (2 months old) we got to the RV Park on Saturday night, leveled the rig and tried to open the slides; nothing happened. I plugged in the power cord and the slides opened. Next morning I unplugged the power cord and the slides won’t go in. It is a Sunday morning and there isn’t anyone at the dealer or at Keystone to answer a question. We traveled on to our next destination, as I reach in to the bay to push the switch to lower the jacks I noticed that the cutoff switch was still turned to off. So far I haven’t made that mistake again.

Grant
BirdingRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 06:53 AM   #10
01RAMer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7316
Grant, Ouch! That would have been a tough one to live down. I trust you didn't tell DW. Hint: This would have been where you make it sound like you fixed it all by yourself, and get some points for being so knowledgable. (Speaking for myself) Some of us need all the help we can get! For me, those "Here's you sign" moments occur too often.
Glad it worked out for you, before you took it to the dealer.
01RAMer is offline   Reply With Quote