Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 04-22-2007, 01:34 PM   #1
RKassl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3699
Bicycle Hitch on front of TV

Does anybody have any information if there is a hitch that can be placed on the front of the truck to carry two bicycles. I thought somone said they had done this in the past. Not my first choice but better than the ladder.

RKassl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 01:41 PM   #2
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Bob,
Send a PM to Al and Carol, I believe they have done this on the front of their GMC.

Screen names
Mrs. Countryguy
Countryguy
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 02:50 PM   #3
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Yep,

Hidden Hitch, not sure where Al purchased, but he installed in short amount of time, he knows what to check for wear and tear that way.

At first we both went GULP, when we saw the bikes up there, but after just driving ohhh, 100 miles, we both adjusted to the view! We were just saying the other day, we really don't see them there any more.

To date, we have not experienced any additional heat caused by blockage of front of truck, we have driven in 90 plus degrees.

We do notice a bit of headlight blockage, on one side. We try to NOT drive at night any more. We are getting better about scheduling our drive days and just get off the road early enough to not need headlights. That said, it is a slight degredation of the view, not total darkness. Younger eyes might not even notice it.

Took a photo the other day of Tana, Big Butt and bikes, but it is still on the camera. We run about 53 feet without bikes, figure it adds another 2 feet. MAKE LONG WIDE TURNS!!

All in all, it works for us, lots of other ways to tote bikes, but after a lot of soul searching, web searching, polling of MOC members and serious contemplation , this was our choice and we don't regret the decision.
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 04:19 PM   #4
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
http://www.toppoprails.com/
Bob and Nancy, check this out. They were real responsive to our inquiry. We haven't purchased as yet but I think we will to go fulltime.
Happy trails.........................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 04:28 PM   #5
sailer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6977
I went to a reg trailer hitch place and they are putting a hitch on the back of the montana,, they said to use 2x2 sq iron lite weight and bolt it to the frame just behind the rear jacks and then they will weld on to that a recerver to carry the resse bike rack that adjusts for a mens or ladies bike for 150.00 and you have a good hitch. the hitch at cw is a piece of junk as it will fall apart on the highway.. i had them hit the bottom of the bolts with a weld so they won't come off
sailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 04:30 PM   #6
sailer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6977
call montana ,,,,,,,,,,,, they don't want you to put a rack on the ladder as you will loose your warrenty on the glass if the unit breaks the glass

sailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 01:10 AM   #7
jpbcny
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4571
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by RKassl

Does anybody have any information if there is a hitch that can be placed on the front of the truck to carry two bicycles. I thought somone said they had done this in the past. Not my first choice but better than the ladder.
Heres what I use: Hidden Hitch Front Receiver
jpbcny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 06:34 AM   #8
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Check out my bike rack I made for the back of the Monty. Works great and was reasonably cheap to make.

http://www.montanaowners.com/forums/...ad.php?t=21360
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 12:05 PM   #9
daneboy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4854
Glenn,
That's a great looking bike rack!! I bought the bike-ladder rack and it's not near as nice as yours. We have been to Alaska and back and several other trips without any problems with the ladder, rack or window thank goodness.
Take Care,
Jerry
daneboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 12:21 PM   #10
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
I was wondering if there was anything that would connect to the front of the TV by removing the tow hooks. (actually hoping for something strong enough to haul my Honda Trail90, but wishfull thinking maybe).
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 02:00 PM   #11
MikeM
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6892
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by RKassl

I had a receiver mounted on the front of our Dodge 2500 and carry two bikes with it. Works quite well and didn't take much time to get used to it. Purchased it thru JC Whitney and had it installed locally for $40.

Mike
MikeM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 02:55 PM   #12
Sunnyside
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #6859
FWIW, after debating for a while on how to carry our bikes (I want to use the slide out tray that came with our Mountaineer for fire wood ) I ran across this and decided to use it to install the bike carrier on the front of the truck.

Jim
Sunnyside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 03:05 PM   #13
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Jim! Perfect - thank you. Replaces the tow hooks and is stout enough for our bike racks OR our Trail90.
Old 04-23-2007, 03:16 PM   #14
Sunnyside
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #6859
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bsmeaton

Jim! Perfect - thank you. Replaces the tow hooks
It actually has a cast plate that attaches the hitch TO the tow hooks. Nothing has to be removed from the truck. About 20 mins to install, if you include getting drinks.
Old 04-23-2007, 05:28 PM   #15
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Even better. Are they designed as a permanent install, or are they easily removed when you don't need it?
Old 04-23-2007, 05:33 PM   #16
bigred715
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5091
I just installed the front mount from J.C. Whitney on my 07 3500. It took 4 bolts and mounted in same holes as tow hooks. With free shipping it came to $129 and you can hardly see it.
bigred715 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 11:32 PM   #17
Sunnyside
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #6859
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bsmeaton

Are they designed as a permanent install, or are they easily removed when you don't need it?
They torque down to 150 ft/lbs so although they can come off fairly easily, it's not a "quick disconnect". I can't really envision a need to remove the hitch. It's almost invisible, and if I need to tow, I'll hook to the hitch.

Jim
Old 04-24-2007, 09:13 PM   #18
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
I do not have a bicycle carrier on the front of my TV but I do have handicap cart carrier. I went to UHaul and got the trailer hitch receiver. They mounted it on the front of my Ford PSD 250. Worked great. Traded the 250 for a 450 and took the receiver off and put it in my 450. Other than having to burn a couple of holes to get all four bolts in it was a perfect fit. Now I just slide my handicap carrier into the receiver and it is good to go. Weight of carrier about 50 lbs. Weight of cart about 100 lbs.

When first placed on front I drove like I was carrying nitric glycerin! After first few bumps and turns and otherwise seeing how it worked I've become so used to it being there that I sometimes forget! This has gotten me into trouble a couple of times. So far just minor things but one of these days I know I'll completely destroy it by forgetting it is there.

The front mount is a good alternative from the back of the rig. The receiver from U-Haul is the standard class II or IV or whatever is the right one for towing travel trailers. They have a receiver for every vehicle ever made. Or it seemed to me they did. And the price and service was OK.

Good luck with whatever you do.

By the way this past week at the MOC Spring National Rally held in Buellton, CA. Charles Wade (Keystone west coast representative ) indicated it was perfectly OK to have a receiver placed on the back of your Montana. It must NOT be used to tow or haul anything weighing over 150 lbs. but it was OK to install and use properly and would NOT void warranty. If you were to try to pull a 5000 lbs trailer with it and it caused some damage then it would VOID the warranty. But as long as you adhere to weight restrictions you should be OK.

HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 04:25 AM   #19
VanMan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9
HamRad, Are you concerned about "destroying stuff" with the hitch itself or with the carrier attached? maybe you need one of those fiberglass poles with an orange pennant like kids put on their bicycles. You could cut it down so you just see the top and it doesn't obstruct your view.

Think an F-250 SuperDuty would stand a front hitch + an electric wheelchair a little over 200 lbs.?
VanMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 12:39 AM   #20
RKassl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3699
Made my decision yesterday, going to have a front receiver hitch put on the truck to haul the bikes. NOT my first choice. I would have liked a receiver hitch on the Montana. We have debated this in detail, warranty issues etc with a hitch on the trailer. After talking to the man at Lippert, with the "potential" implications I gave up on that idea. I guess I am very conservative when it comes to the Monty. The whole hitch with installation will be about $150.00.
RKassl is offline   Reply With Quote