Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 09-07-2006, 07:18 PM   #1
Bluegill
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6121
Splendide vs. Majestic Stackable Washer/Dryer

Which one of these units do you think is the better unit?
It will be going in to a 3400RL.
I did a search and found that some people have used the Kenmore stackables from Sears.
Any and all advice will be appreciated.

James

'06 F350 SD King Ranch CC LB 6.0L PSD FX4 4x4
Still shopping for the Monty !

[img]http://banners.wunderground.com/weathersticker/gizmotimetempbig/language/www/US/WA/Bellingham.gif" border=0
alt="Click for Bellingham, Washington Forecast" height=40 width=467[/img]

[img]http://banners.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates/language/www/US/TX/Cypress.gif" border=0
alt="Click for Cypress, Texas Forecast" height=100 width=150[/img]

Bluegill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 12:39 AM   #2
Emmel
Montana Master

M.O.C. #808
James, I'm afraid you will get different opinions on which is best depending on which model you own. However, we have a Splendide 2100 that is vented to the outside and we are very pleased with it. We didn't looked into other models to compare since we purchased from Camping World at a very good price. I helped a guy put it in and it seemed like the hardest part was not having the right size hole saw to cut thru the (exterier) wall.Everyone will have their own opinion as to which one is better, my opinion is that ours is a good choice!

Steve&Patti 2004 model 3280
2002 Duramax 4x4 crew cab SB
Emmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 01:41 AM   #3
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
I looked at all of them compared wash capacities, dryer capacities and voltages, we buy everything we use in our home from Sears, good warranty, anywhere you go in the U.S. has a Sears for service, or replacement, and so on.
Sue has a really nice Kenmore washer in our home, when she saw the Maytag stack-ables at Sears, she said, that is what I want. Same electronic controls, very classy. The dryer is 220 Volts on the one we bought, probably dries in half the time, and a full load as well, things will come out hot and dry. No biggie to slap in a dual pole breaker and run a short wire to the outlet plug for it. I took a picture yesterday, just set the dryer, haven't piped it yet, maybe today.
vent in yet. Bought a 4" Dewalt hole saw for $19.00 at a hardware store.
You probably can't go wrong with any made for the space, many people have given theirs good marks.
The 'one does both' W/D, also work, just do smaller loads and take longer.
Maytag’s

'07 3400RL 2nd RTU
2 Golf Cart batteries 3,000 watt inverter, automatic transfer switch
Honda 2000 Generator, Maytag's with 220 Dryer
Stationary domed Sat. dish, LCD 12 Volt Amp gauge, LCD Tank Monitor
3 added 120 volt outlets, On Board Air; 12 Volt Viair 450C compressor
2006 Ford PSD 4x4 Off Road Lariat, Hadley Air Horns, Truck inverter with 110 volts: laptop, Color Backup camera, Firestone air bags,Husky air ride roller hitch, Awning lock
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 02:51 AM   #4
Driftwoodgal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5446
Send a message via AIM to Driftwoodgal
Ozz,

Did you have to lose your doors on the closet when you installed the W/D?

Easy for you to say that about the installation. Will you have to have 50 amp service when you are running these things, or can you run them on 30 amp? And can you run them both at the same time?

Colleen

PS The sure look purrty.....
Driftwoodgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 03:06 AM   #5
Wrenchtraveller
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4890
If you own a 2955RL like I do, you only have room for the combination unit and that is why we went with the Splendide that vents to the outside. On the road for 44 days we did a small load almost every day and we were very happy with the unit. Also we had to spend two weeks in a northern town and the CG only had 15 amp service. We never kicked the breaker using the Splendide because we made sure we did not use any other high draw appliances.

No question, a set up like Ozz has is far superior but because my line of work will take me to areas where only 15 amp is available, I will be be sticking with the Splendide even if I go to a 3400 some day.

One thing about the Splendide, it is so quiet, you only hear it in the spin cycle and because of the front bedroom closet location, it shakes our unit a lttle. A front tri-pod helps make it look a little less like a very active sex life but still has the neighbors wondering, I am sure.

Don & Donna
Vancouver Island
2005 Ford F350 V10 Lariat CC 4x4 LB SRW 11200 GVWR
2006 Montana 2955RL
click on the little pic to see a big pic
Wrenchtraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 03:11 AM   #6
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Good morning, Colleen
I am in the last stages of the install, I've got the doors in my shop, I'll install them after I complete drilling and installing the vent. Then I will put the doors on. I ground down the inside corner of one door to clear better, you won't see it, because it's on the washer side. I will be able to wash on any hook up, but the dryer will require 50 amp service, as it's 220. I work hard and like to stay in nice places, I think I will most always have 50 amp service. Yes, you can run them both at the same time. (Probably have to manage the electrical usage some, like only one A/C at a time, such as that.
Anyone can hire an Electrician for the wiring for around $100 to $200, it's not that bad. The breaker would be an extra cost. I like to make my little sweet Sue happy, and she doesn't ask for much, so it's whatever she wants....
James, I really do like the support system, and warranty from Sears, they have many models to choose from, and many are 120 volts, and require no modifications.
Ozz

'07 3400RL 2nd RTU
2006 Ford PSD 4x4 Off Road Lariat, Hadley Air Horns, Truck inverter with 110 volts: laptop, Color Backup camera, Firestone air bags,Husky air ride roller hitch, Awning lock
Old 09-08-2006, 03:13 AM   #7
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Don, you are a Hoot!

'07 3400RL 2nd RTU
Old 09-08-2006, 03:23 AM   #8
Bluegill
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6121
Thanks Ozz, A trip to Sears this weekend to measure some units that might fit will be in order.

One question though :

I am going to have the dealer install the vent for me. Cut the hole and add the vent cover. Do they need to know what unit I will be using in the closet before they cut a hole? You know, Placement of the vent? Or, are all of them in the same location?

James

[img]http://banners.wunderground.com/weathersticker/gizmotimetempbig/language/www/US/WA/Bellingham.gif" border=0

[img]http://banners.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates/language/www/US/TX/Cypress.gif" border=0

Old 09-08-2006, 04:01 AM   #9
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
James,
They routinely cut those holes, the placement is obviously higher than the stacked units, but other than that, you can drill it most anywhere there. You might want to miss the decal nearby. There is no stud, or divider anywhere around there. (On the 3400RL) probably not the others either, but I would check that.
You can look at the side of your unit in the mornings, weather permitting, and see the dew on it and tell where the studs are. I think I paid $19.00 for a Dewalt Hole saw at a hardware store, I wouldn't hook up and drive to the dealer for that. I like the Splendide chrome plated plastic vent, however there are many to choose from, aluminum and regular plastic that are much much cheaper. All are 4" holes, the plastic feed through fitting is slightly less, so it fits nicely.
Check the dimensions of all units to compare, it's a really tight fit.
I moved my 120 Volt outlet up the wall, as the plug is tight on all units, I don't know why they placed them down low at the factory -DUMB! You reading this at the factory??????
I need to come up there and straighten you out on a few things...........
They probably hate me by now.
Good luck James.
Ozz

'07 3400RL 2nd RTU
Old 09-08-2006, 04:40 AM   #10
pud2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4142
We bought the sears washer dyer combo to go in ours. It is a 110 volt unit but you can only run one at a time because of the way it is wired with the power cord even though they are seperate units but are stacked. I paid less than 800.00 for it.

Darrell&Pam
06 3670
06 F350 Lariet P.S.D. C.C. DRW.
Husky 16k glider
Huntly-Yorkie
Zachary,La.
pud2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 06:19 AM   #11
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Darrell,
Have an Electrician rewire it for you, the 5er will have Two circuits for the W/D, I am sure that it would work separately, he will see, when he looks at the wiring diagram. I think I read somewhere that it can be done safely.
Ozz

'07 3400RL 2nd RTU
Old 09-08-2006, 06:23 AM   #12
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
We have the Splendide and love it. We didn't go with the stack units because we didn't want to lose the storage space. We have a lot of stuff on the shelves as well as key racks and coat hooks. We have not vented permanently yet (the vent hose just lays in the basement) because we really hesitate cutting the hole in Monty. So I have a question for Ozz. Did you cut from the outside? We purchased a flat vent adapter so the unit can sit back a little further. I agree with the quietness of this unit especially in the 3400 because it is near the axles - no thought of active sex going on! I loved that Don! LOL
Happy trails...................

Sue and Ed Rowe
Hemet California

2005 3400RL
2006 GMC 3500 Dually, D/A, Crew Cab, Long Bed
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 06:50 AM   #13
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
I am installing something else right now, but should cut it today. The flat adapter is great, I did that also. I screwed it to the back of the dryer so it won't move, screw the Two pieces of the vent pipe together as well, then tape the connection with that Aluminum tape, (Lowe's)
I will measure both outside and inside, start the hole saw from the inside, cut into the wall until the pilot drill appears outside, then go out and finish the drilling. You can borrow or rent the 4" hole saw.

'07 3400RL 2nd RTU
Old 09-08-2006, 07:34 AM   #14
pud2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4142
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Ozz

Darrell,
Have an Electrician rewire it for you, the 5er will have Two circuits for the W/D, I am sure that it would work separately, he will see, when he looks at the wiring diagram. I think I read somewhere that it can be done safely.
Ozz

'07 3400RL 2nd RTU
Yeah ozz i am going to do it my self but i am waiting for warranty to run out first. Thanks though.

Darrell&Pam
06 3670
06 F350 Lariet P.S.D. C.C. DRW.
Husky 16k glider
Huntly-Yorkie
Zachary,La.
pud2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 11:40 AM   #15
gkbutler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4049
Send a message via MSN to gkbutler Send a message via Yahoo to gkbutler
We have the Splendide combo, had it installed by our dealer when we bought our unit last year. When we found out that our washer drains into the grey tank, Karen says she does a load every other day and she just loves it. Once I got it completely level, we have had no shaking at all when it starts on spin. It is a nice combo

Gary and Karen
SFC USAR Ret.
MOC (4049)
2006 2950RK
2005 Chev 2500HD Duramax/Allison SB
16K Pull rite Super Glide
Prodigy brake controller

"Twenty years from now, you will be more disappointed by the things you did not do than by the things you did, so throw off the bow lines, sail away from safe harbor and catch the trade winds in your sails." Mark Twain
gkbutler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 02:22 PM   #16
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
We had the Crosley (Whirlpool) stack in our 3295RK for four years. That's what our dealer installed at that time. They were excellent. Quiet, no vibration in the rest of the coach at all, and worked flawlessly that whole four years. The dryer had a buzzer to let you know when it's done. The only negative we saw was the washer was a top loader and we had to improvise to get hold the door open. We were able to run them simultaneously along with the AC while on a 30 amp hookup.

In the 3400 our dealer installed the Majestic stack. We've used it only a couple of times. They're both front loaders. The dryer does not have a buzzer. We're learning how to use them. It seems the dryer runs very hot and tends to wrinkle clothes. We're trying to figure out if we're doing something wrong or if there's a problem with the thermostat. I think we'll really like these. The tubs are smaller than in the Whirlpool, though. We have not yet been connected to 30 amp to see if we can run both along with the AC but I see no reason why not.

See another Montana or Mountaineer on the road? Flash lights twice, it might be one of us!
Steve Reigle (pronounced Regal)
Fulltiming since 3/21/03
'07 3400RL
'05 Ford F250 SD Lariat CC SB 6.0L PSD/TS FX4 4x4

Our RV Travels (now Firefox-compatible)

sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 06:02 PM   #17
txkrumm
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5920
We have the splendide ventless washer/dryer. I love it; it is so handy and I do a load or so every couple days. The clothes do come out "humid" and feeling a little damp. I like it because it allows me to shake the wrinkles out. I lay the clothes flat on the bed, come back in a little while and put them away. The splendide is incredibly quiet except for the spin cycle, 1200 RPM! The washer/dryer closet is in the bedroom (we have a front living model) and even though its level, it does shake the Monty quite a bit. I bet the neighbors are talking...Don, you are hilarious!

Steve and Tara Krumm
2004 GMC 4X4 Duramax Allison
2003 Montana 3655 FL

txkrumm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 06:27 PM   #18
MAMalody
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5972
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Ozz

Darrell,

What wiring diagram? I have asked Keystone for plumbing and wiring diagrams and they say they don't exist.

Mike

F350 7.3L LB SRW
2003 3575RL
MAMalody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 06:35 PM   #19
Bluegill
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6121
Thanks everyone for your input and ideas. I'm leaning towards a set from Sears. I've had good luck with their brands in the past for the stick house. Cheaper too