Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 08-02-2006, 04:53 PM   #1
marisolwithsol
Established Member

M.O.C. #6087
Did I break any records?

I had introduced myself early this week and asked a few questions - thank you guys again for the help. I said that I would keep you all posted, so here goes...

We picked up our 342PHT Mountaineer yesterday ( Tuesday ) on what seemed to be the hottest day of the entire year. We noted some of the minor repairs that would need to be made, hooked her up and took off for home. We've had a TT before, but this was/is our first time with a 5th wheel. Got home fine, but we couldn't get the hitch off of the truck, ack! I had to go inside the house because I thought my husband might rip off the landing jacks and I didn't want to make him any more nervous. SO, somehow he manually jiggled the thing a bit and it finally came out on its own with no damage, whew. We were both stressing out thinking what in the world have we gotten ourselves into, lol.

So today, another scorcher. The A/C got a great test run and I started loading her up. I didn't know that our weather forcast was calling for severe weather, until I saw it coming. High winds, damaging LARGE hail, thunder, lighting, the whole nine yards. Now we are in a panic to get everything taken care of outside and close up the 5ver. I quickly put things away so the slides can come in, fold up the bunk beds in the rear room and call all clear. My husband pushes the button and within 45 seconds we hear a loud pop and cracking. Uh huh, I did it, I forgot to close the door and the slide cracked the door trim and hinge!!! I've only had it 1 day! I am such a green idiot!!

So does this qualify as a big "oops" and I can be done with those for a while now? How embarrasing! I am assuming that type of thing would not be covered with the dealer would it? Sigh.

I am still going on a trip this weekend though!

Marisol

marisolwithsol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 05:05 PM   #2
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
OUCHIEEE

Ask Steve R about getting locked out of his rig the first day? Not the same, but NO you are not the first to have this happen to, but you may be in the running for FASTEST! SIGH

Some of the hitches need to be BACKED into, chock the tires of the 5er, back GENTLY into the chocks, set the parking brake, then put truck in park. This will allow the hitch to release the handle. NOTE I said SOME hitches. Time to review your instructions for your particular hitch. (I'll bet we still have the directions for ours in the glove box of Big Butt!)

This is a perfect example of getting in a hurry and something bad happening (YES I CAN TELL YOU STORIES!!! Been there, done that)

There may be lists on Glenn's page of favorite and fabulous links for a set up list. Or a break down list. I used one that I had to mark off each item. I am seriously considering doing so again, cause about the time you think, OHHHHH, I know just what to do, Guess what ole Carol forgets to do!! Something important on that break down list,like check the frig door to be 100% sure it is locked. Hmmmm, want to know why I mention that one??? Yeap, again, been there, done that.

Enjoy the weekend, a door can be replaced!!!

Cheers, Carol

Al & Carol Stevens Tipton, Mi.
Retired - Traveling with 4 Yorkies
Our Camping Rig History
Montana Improvements and Travel Reports
Our take on RV ownership, "Ya better be handy with your hands and handy with your cash."
2004 3295RK
2003 GMC 3500 Allison/8.1
PullRite 15.5K Super 5th
Line-X
JackRabbit tonneau cover
Bilstein shocks
Isolator Pin Box

Every day spent on earth is a blessing, every day spent in our Montana is a day blessed twice.
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 05:34 PM   #3
Kathi
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3113
Don't feel bad about not being able to get unhitched...The first day we brought our 5ver home we tried and tried. Finally we were so mad at each other that we went in the house and didn't talk to each other for about 3 hours. We then went out to dinner (dragging the 5ver right behind us)! Yes we did. Had to find a place to eat with a huge parking lot. Came home went to bed. Then next morning we got up and were at it again. This time the neighbors all came out to try to help.....Try to listen to about 10 people at the same time who have never hitched or unhitched a trailer...Another long day. Still hitched. 3rd day, I made a small suggestion. Lets take this problem to the place that installed the hitch...We managed to get down through the center of town but when we got there we couldn't get into the parking lot because they had so many RV's every which way. I got out and attempted to find someone that could help us but they were all out to lunch. So we pulled the trailer to a nice place for lunch. When we were done, we went back through the center of town again and this time we found a person that could help us. He comes out and we were telling him we thought something was wrong because it wouldn't budge...He walks over to the hitch, proceeds to pull the lever, puts down the jacks, gets in the truck and to our amazement we are unhitched! Great. We thanked him and back home we go. Now we think we know what we are doing. Try to unhitch and nothing!!!! I finally told Paul that I thought it might be because we were on an incline. So he takes it around the corner comes back up the street and parks it in front of the neighbors house which is flat. Guess what, it comes unhitched...So it is a learning experience trust me. Now that we have been at it for a year we haven't had that problem since. Have had a lot of other problems though. I munched my little stool in the kitchen slide and broke the cabinet door. I fixed it but my stool was trashed! Also the metal basket that goes in the laundry shoot got munched because I put it by the recliner and when the entertainment slide came in it grabbed it and took it with it to the center of the trailer. It is just a little bent but it won't fit in the hamper spot any longer!!!!! You see everyone has accidents, just some of us aren't as vocal about it...That's my story and I am stickin to it!

Paul & Kathi Landau
Lola, Beulah & Hamel (BLk/Tan Coonhounds)
Max (Doxie) all rescues
Kalispell Montana

02' Dodge 3500 Cummins Diesel, Dually Longbed,
Banks Exhaust Sys.,
5"exhaust, Prodigy Brake Controller, Reese 22K Hitch, Magellan Roadmate 700 GPS.

05' 3400RL

Kathi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 08:10 PM   #4
Imp
Montana Master

M.O.C. #956
It seems like everytime we get ready to tow, we forget something. So far it hasn't been serious (it is only a matter of time). The check off list is a must. Go through and make one specific to your set up and then add to it as you find those little things you forget...
Myrna

Myrna Logan
Bastrop,Texas
Married to Trebor #4532
the boss..Graeme, Scottish Terrier
Fulltiming since 5/15/05
02 F350 crewcab 7.3L 4x4, LB, Rhino spray on liner.Montana3400RL,hijacker hitch, Kingdome.
Imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 09:03 PM   #5
JH Sechelt
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4976
As long as no one is hurt.......... the rest can be fixed..
Bye the way welcome to the MOC.

J&D

[IMG]John & Dawn

Sunshine Coast, British Columbia
2006 2980RL &
2005 F350 Lariet, Crewcab
Shortbox Powerstroke 4X4
JH Sechelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 11:54 PM   #6
dbrill
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #359
I have to chock the wheels and back up just a hair to take the pressure off to unhitch. And it is something they did not mention when I picked up my 5er.

Don & Lisa Brill
2002 Chevy 3500 Duramax 4x4 Crew
2003 Keystone Moutaineer 318BHS
Lovettsville, VA
dbrill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 01:35 AM   #7
Broome101
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1832
I jerked the steps off first day forgot to put them up.

Broome101
2005 F350 PSD,SRW,CC,LB, King Ranch, 4x4
2005 3685FL
http://www.picturetrail.com/broome101
Broome101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 02:51 AM   #8
Wrenchtraveller
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4890
I was a brakeman on a train 30 years ago so I was used to the fact that if there is strain on a hitch , either from the units being on a grade, or from the tow vehicle and the trailer not having the tow tension slacked off.........You are not going to unhitch.

This is true on railway cars, fifth wheels , ball hitch trailers , any type of hitch .

Backing up your Fiver on the flat should leave your hitch in a neutral position ready to unhitch. I like to apply the park brake on the truck , before I put it in park, because sometimes that little movement you get as you put it in park will tighten the hitch.

If your last move setting up your rig was forward, your hitch has towing strain on it and will not release, you must gently reverse a wee bit, set your park brake, Chock your trailer tires and down with the landing gear, your hitch release should pull out smooth and easy.

I never would pull my hitch release out without the landing gear down and the trailer wheels chocked. To do so is to to invite disaster and the number of bedsavers being purchased shows how many people have dropped a Fiver onto their truck rails. A very expensive mistake.

I have owned Fivers for 20 years but I always treat hooking up and unhooking with the most careful attention. I check everything 3 times. I have taught Donna to do the checks also as this is a place where a brain fade can really ruin your day.

Don & Donna
Vancouver Island
2005 Ford F350 V10 Lariat CC 4x4 LB SRW 11200 GVWR
2006 Montana 2955RL
click on the little pic to see a big pic
Wrenchtraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 03:10 AM   #9
Driftwoodgal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5446
Send a message via AIM to Driftwoodgal
We had to replace hinges on our other RV when hubby put the slides out. He didn't see that the cabinet had opened when traveling. We also have a slightly bent heavy paper towel holder that got behind the slide.

I won't tell you the trouble that he had when he first started hitching and unhitching our other RV. I used to just get out of the way and kept my mouth shut. I am sure that I will feel the same way when I try to start hitching and unhitching at some point.

As posted things can be fixed and I am sure that you won't be doing that again. We haven't camped long but I have caught on rather quickly that it is a good idea to have that check list and to check it more than once.

For safety I think the most important thing to remember is that you have your wheels chocked before you do anything. I put them on all four tires, maybe over kill but I am a what if person.

Carol,
I am glad to hear that someone else left the frig door unlatched I feel better now.

Colleen
Driftwoodgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 03:19 AM   #10
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Yes, that's an oops!

I lost the keys between the dealer's place our our home on delivery day.

Carol's description of backing into the hitch is what I sometimes have to do with our Reese hitch. It seems to depend on the angle of the site. Sometimes we have to do it, sometimes not. Sometimes I even have to pull forward instead of backwards, set the parking brake, then try the handle. Sometimes I have to try both until it works.

I'm really impressed you are pretty new here and still are willing to state your mistakes up front. Not many would do that.

Beware inside cabinet doors and drawers, too. If you have some that might open while on the road and get destroyed when opening the slides, you can strap the handles together or put a dowel rod through multiple handles.

See another Montana or Mountaineer on the road? Flash lights twice, it might be one of us!
Steve Reigle (pronounced Regal)
Fulltiming since 3/21/03
'03 3295RK
'05 Ford F250 SD Lariat CC SB 6.0L PSD/TS FX4 4x4

Our RV Travels (now Firefox-compatible)

sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 03:40 AM   #11
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Kathi, I know you did not mean that to be funny, but, I can just see you two pulling Montana cross town, through town to have a meal! That has to be a classic.

Bet that long thread from a ways back with all our OOOPSSSSS, is long in the archives. Too bad, that had some classics too!

Another hint, on the slides, DON"T PUT EM OUT ALL THE WAY ALL AT ONCE!! Before we move ours, I walk around and peak where ever I can to see if something is in the way. Then I open them, the bedroom comes out first, that one I can really see pretty good, so I tend to let er open and not worry too much, there is however, that back side of the bed, something could fall down there when we are running, well, it could happen.

My area of most concern tho is the back end, two opposing slides, stuff has bounced around back there. SO, I stand at the top of the stairs (into the bedroom) and look OVER the slides, I can see if a door is open. All clear, then I continue opening the slides. When they get partly open, enough for me to walk to the very back, I stop, walk back, take a good long hard look for stuff that is not right. When I am satisfied all is well, I finish putting the slides out. Yep, I forget now and then, but it is getting more of a habit than it was, and the fear of busting something kinda makes me remember.

NOW, where is that check list???

Cheers and good luck Marisol,and have a great weekend.

Carol
Old 08-03-2006, 04:14 AM   #12
skypilot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1846
One thing I just discovered in late June - if you get interrupted by a 'well-intentioned' neighbor offering to help - start on your checklist from before the last completed item. Left a sewer hose connection behind and basement door unlatched. Luckily I saw the door swinging as we pulled out but didn't get the sewer connection. (Bet the next person in my spot thinks ill of me for leaving the opening open -- didn't do it on purpose - got interrupted and plain ole forgot ). Best wishes and many happy camping days to you.

Ceara and Mia Osa
skypilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 04:26 AM   #13
Kathi
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3113
Carol, No it wasn't funny at the time because Paul had only owned a Motorhome before. I have pulled trailers so, yes I was on pins and needles at the time. Now I can laugh at it because we must have glowed NEWBIE!!!! Paul was a wreck which made me a wreck. Those streets were so narrow in Upland, CA. It is the old town part so they were made for the Model A's. Here we are trying to pull this huge 5th wheel through those streets. People are looking at us and were not very patient either. Turning was a real problem because Paul couldn't get the concept of TURN WIDE, so we would end up backing up (which scared the H--- out of me) and then starting all over again. Needless to say, that is why we were ready for lunch that day.

Paul & Kathi Landau
Lola, Beulah & Hamel (BLk/Tan Coonhounds)
Max (Doxie) all rescues
Kalispell Montana

02' Dodge 3500 Cummins Diesel, Dually Longbed,
Banks Exhaust Sys.,
5"exhaust, Prodigy Brake Controller, Reese 22K Hitch, Magellan Roadmate 700 GPS.

05' 3400RL

[imghttp://tinypic.com/f05k78.jpg[/img][imghttp://bestsmileys.com/usa1/14.gif[/img]
Kathi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 04:33 AM   #14
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Kathi,

Was that a adult liquid lunch?? WOWIE, wouldn't you just love to have video of some of that stuff we have gotten into?? HA HA

Skypilot, you make a Great point, if you get interrupted, then start the list over!

Carol
Old 08-03-2006, 04:39 AM   #15
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
First and foremost WELCOME to the MOC Family!!!

OK, It took us more than a day but we too left a door open. In our case the door opened on it's own while we were traveling and Lorraine hadn't checked prior to extending the slide. The door caught the wood trim of the slide and popped it off. I merely removed the staples and reattached it. There was no damage to the door and there were no marks on the wood trim.

As far as the hitch...At the MOC rally of 2004 I visited the folks at Pullrite. They instructed me in the proper method of unhitching when using their hitches and explained that this procedure works 90% of the time with all hitches.
Once I have parked exactly where I want the trailer Lorraine will set both of our rear chocks. I than ease back into them and keep pressure applied while I apply the parking brake. Once the parking brake is set I can place the tranny in Park with no possible movement of the truck or trailer. I now get out of the truck and pull the hitch release with absolutely no effort. At this point I apply the 2 mechanical chocks between the wheels. I extend the front jacks and pull away. The entire operation takes no more than 2 minutes, 3 at the most.

Having said that I will admit I had a senior moment just this past May where I set no chocks. About 15 minutes later and after I had pulled the truck away the trailer rolled back and the front jacks fell off the blocks. If you'd care to read more about this you'll have to do a search as I did admit my screw up. I also screwed up by putting gasoline into my diesel powered truck. To hear more again you'll have to do a search.

I am not the least bit afraid of admitting my mistakes and I am proud of you for admitting yours. Hey what the heck "fecal matter happen" and by admitting they happened to us we all learn what to do or not to do.

Quote:
quote:So does this qualify as a big "oops" and I can be done with those for a while now?
Yes it could be considered a big "oops" and you'll probably never leave a door open again but done with the "oops"? I doubt it. Dragging a 5th wheel is a continual learning experience. The more you're use the Monty the less chance of the "oops" but every know and than you'll have one of those brain breaking wind moments and OOPS!
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 05:18 AM   #16
marisolwithsol
Established Member

M.O.C. #6087
Wow, this has been great! Thanks, and you all are right, I sure won't be doing that again, lol!

I usually don't have any problem admitting my mistakes, I suppose because not much truly makes me embarrassed, lol. I'm a traditional midwife and I see things quite often that others think is downright the most embarrassing, ever, and I don't see it that way . I figured with this situation, that someone else ( maybe a newbie ) might be saved from the same mistake or won't feel like they are the only ones who have done such a thing!

I really appreciate the hitch suggestions, and I will be having my husband read them today, as we are supposed to leave tonight or in the morning tomorrow. I have a lot of packing to do!

After the storm died down a bit, we went back out to really evaluate the damage. The bottom hinge was bent up pretty good and the lower trim popped off. There was some minor cracks, but after taking the door off, it looked as though someone else ( at the dealer ) had done the same thing, lol. Gary, my husband, straighted them out and put the door back on. It functions and doesn't look to bad. The trim on the slide is a bit scratched, but I spoke with the service dept. at the dealer and she said, "no biggie, just add it to the list and we will take care of it." I was impressed. We'll see about the follow through.

Not that I was looking for others to spill their guts, but I have to admit it did make me feel better.
marisolwithsol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 06:36 AM   #17
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
This was a great post to read first thing in the morning. Got my laughs for the day. And remembered our first experience with unhitching. Looking back now it is funny. Wasn't at the time. Ed and my brother up in the truck bed on hands and knees trying to look up under the hitch to figure out how to get it to release. After hours of trying, I finally got a hold of the dealer (holiday weekend) and his reply, Backup up one inch. Did it and it worked and we all felt stupid. When we bought our second 5er, the tech told us about this and we both broke into gales of laughter - we had to tell him the story.
And yes we have also put the slide out with the basement door up. You think you have it all down but never know when something will happen. This time we crunched the remote for the DirecTV. It had fallen down by the sofa and then moved while traveling.
Happy trails........................

Sue and Ed Rowe
Hemet California

2005 3400RL
2006 GMC 3500 Dually, D/A, Crew Cab, Long Bed
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 08:14 AM   #18
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Send a message via Skype™ to padredw
Marisol amd other friends, Thanks for sharing your difficulties with us. It seems to me that we learn the most when members are willing to share their "agony of defeat". We haven't all had exactly the same experiences as you have, but most of us have had our own ...

I have "pulled off" two sets of steps (on earlier RVs). When we got our Montana my brother-in-law said to my sister: "we'd better go look at their new trailer while it still has the steps." Fortunately, we still have the original steps on our Montana.

My reason for writing is to add that damage can also occur when "opening" the slides. One day in setting up, I heard a "crunch" just in time to stop the slide out. One of the upper cabinet doors had come open on the trip and had caught on the slide trim. Glad I was able to stop when I did, because I could "tap" the trip back in place (with a sledge hammer!). The cabinet door was not damaged because I stopped in time. Now, I am more careful to check those doors on the higher cabinets.

As for the hitch binding, I have certainly had that experience when parking on unlevel ground. After the trailer is leveled, I have even had to put boards under the truck wheels in order to hitch. Now that I have the TrailAir hitch, it solves that problem [It is more the 4-way tilt on the truck that solves that problem I realize on re-reading], BUT it (the TrailAir) almost always requires the release of forward tension as others have mentioned. Interestingly, I never had that particular problem UNTIL I got the trailAir hitch.

Thank you for your good humor and willingness to share.

David and Shirley -- East Texas
2955 RL Montana
Chevrolet Duramax 2500 Allison Trans
http://www.dwilliamson.com/mont.jpg

padredw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 08:46 AM   #19
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I sure wish that earlier thread were available. We had some real doosies in there, my many screwups included. I always thought admitting those mistakes might help others avoid the same.

As mentioned above, many of my messups have come after a well-intentioned neighbor interrupted my procedure and I missed something. My fault for not doublechecking, though. And I've made plenty without any help at all. One of my strengths is I'm really good at screwing up. Maybe I'll see if I can find that thread in the archives and see if I can resurrect it.

On edit... found it, got it resurrected (I think). Look in this same forum, General Discussions about our Montanas, and look for the thread with subject "And just how did you screwup?"

See another Montana or Mountaineer on the road? Flash lights twice, it might be one of us!
Steve Reigle (pronounced Regal)
Fulltiming since 3/21/03
'03 3295RK
'05 Ford F250 SD Lariat CC SB 6.0L PSD/TS FX4 4x4

Our RV Travels (now Firefox-compatible)

sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 10:07 AM   #20
borfaloo
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #5608

Steve.

Thanks for finding that thread..
Just added our 5ft wheel disasters there !

Sean
borfaloo is offline   Reply With Quote