Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 12-09-2005, 02:11 PM   #1
Montana_4447

M.O.C. #4447
Flat tire question

i think i read somewhere that if one was unlucky enough to get a flat tire in one of the dual axle tires,you could utilise the products
"level-upp" or "lynx levelers" under the adjacent wheel,thereby raising the trailer sufficient to remove the flat and replace the spare,without the use of any jack system whilst not forgetting to use chocks on all the other wheels at the time. has anyone used this method and do you all consider this safe practice. the product specs. dont directly mention this application so i wont do it unless others have tried it safely and succesfully.thanks in anticipation of replies.

Montana_4447 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2005, 02:48 PM   #2
faeb and genb
Montana Master

M.O.C. #57
ROBOBOB
A friend made us one with an 8x8 I have used it to pull truck up on to change oil. I keep it in truck to change tires with hope I never have to use it, but would not hesitate to do so.
Gene
faeb and genb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2005, 02:59 PM   #3
palebluedot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #36
Just for arguement sake, lets say your 5er is carrying 8,000 lbs. on the axles and the weight is divided evenly on all 4 tires. This would equal to 2000 lbs. on each tire, that are probably rated to carry around 3000 lbs. each (E rated). Now if you raise one of these off the surface so that the other tire on the same side is carrying all the weight, that tire is now loaded with 4000 lbs., not to mention the same for the spring and shackles. Not a good idea in my opinion. You engineers feel free to throw water all over this, but I think I'm correct.
palebluedot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2005, 04:17 PM   #4
patodonn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #331
Bill, Your point is valid, but, when you blow that tire, your are instantly in that situation anyhow, and rolling along at 60 or so. I did have a tire failure in '04, and decided to buy two tires, not just one, as replacements, just for that reason. I haven't yet regretted that decision. I may be overly cautious, but our 14K Monty puts us right at the tire limits anyhow, and blowing one put the other tire way over its limitations.

On the other side of the equation, I wouldn't hesitate to use that sort of ramp setup to get the tire changed so as to get to a place where I could get tire(s) replaced. As mentioned, the damage is already done anyhow.

Think I'll just use AAA or other roadside service, or, as last resort, a jack, which I carry anyhow.
patodonn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2005, 02:53 AM   #5
drhowell
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3628
palebluedot, you are correct that all the weight is on the one axle. However,pulling straight forward up the ramp and using caution when applying brakes, the stress on the axle is not a major issue. I also use a block between the frame and the spring shackle on the good tire axle to limit the movement of the equalizer. This reduces the height of the ramp needed to lift the flat tire axle off the ground.

We put more stress on a single axle when turning short, climbing curbs, pot holes etc. then by using this method to jack an axle. Dual axle trucks have used this method for years or running the inside dual up on a block to remove the outside dual.

With all that said, proper jacking is of course the best option. Or better yet, roadside service as patodonn has said.
drhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2005, 04:45 AM   #6
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
I'm in favour of the block method. Jacking is not without its problems. Neither the frame, nor the axle mfrs seem too keen on using their parts of the rig as jacking points. In this almost static condition, there should be no problem pulling up onto a block, even though the tires are overloaded for the duration.

I should admit that I have never had to do this yet, but I will try it next time I have the opportunity. The use of a piece of 2x4 to block the equalizer arm seems like a good idea too.
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2005, 11:29 AM   #7
faeb and genb
Montana Master

M.O.C. #57
I have seen trailers go over the traffic bumps in parking lots when the front tire goes over the rear tire swung free. So don't think it would hurt for that short of time.
Gene
faeb and genb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2005, 01:06 PM   #8
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
I would use my roadside service to change the tire. If they were not able or it needed to be changed in a hurry I would have no problem driving onto a block of wood to raise the coach up to perform the change. Have seen this done a few times on different boat trailers and there was no problem, just remember to set parking brake.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2005, 05:00 PM   #9
Montana_4447

M.O.C. #4447
folks, thanks for the swift replies, it appears that the majority of us would rely on recovery services to take the strain,whilst some would be willing to try the quick method.overall i guess the jack used as per normal would be the safest way to go, i just thought i'd read that the use of those products would make the job even easier.thanks for all your inputs. hope to put some good questions to the forum again.
Old 12-12-2005, 01:41 PM   #10
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Robobob, I have to say I was in favor of the block method but am now questioning my sanity about that. In Virgin, UT, a couple of months ago, I had to change the right rear tire on the Montana. I used the block method to run the front right tire up on. What I saw when I came back to change the tire downright concerns me. The tire up on the blocks was inflated to the max for the tire but that tire was nearly flat while on the blocks, from all the weight it was bearing. A couple of other MOC members were standing there and saw the same thing. It was fine when back down on the ground and did not lose any pressure. I then became concerned about axle damage. We are now in the Kansas City area, about 1500 road miles later. I am seeing some wear on that tire I don't like. Just a little, but more than I'm used to seeing. This may be one of the tires worn prior to our having the axles aligned but I don't think it is. In January we'll head to south Texas, about 1200 miles from here. At that time I'll have a better feel for whether there is a problem or if this is one of the tires we were using before we had the axles aligned over a year ago.

So, I cannot at this point say I'm comfortable with the block method. Keep in mind our Montana weighs 14,360 lbs, of which 11,060 are on the axles. If distribution of weight is even, then the right side weighs 5,530 lbs. The axles are 6,000 lb axles, which is 3,000 on each side, or 6,000 for two wheels on the right side but just 3,000 per wheel. If the Montana were level with one wheel off the ground then I put 5,530 lbs where the axle is rated to handle 3,000. I realize weight distribution is not equal but the right side has the appliances and likely is the heavier side. And with the right side in the air, some of the weight shifted to the left side. So I didn't have a full 5,530 lbs on that axle but there is no doubt in my mind there was more than 3,000 on it. Whether it was enough to bend the axle remains to be seen.

I think in the future I'll use the bottle jack. Or call ERS if I don't mind the wait.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 02:44 PM   #11
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
Well I think I will use my jack.
I dont like putting any more stress on my single working axel, I do believe that when I lift the axel with the flat by using a jack the weight will be sorta equal and take that stress off the only working axel on that side. I have had to change two flats so far and it has been fairly easy and a clean operation.

TT2
Old 12-15-2005, 10:47 AM   #12
Montana_4447

M.O.C. #4447
WOW!
Am i glad i asked first. Sreigle, if you have a problem,we hope not, but if you do then perhaps others will now have more knoweledge on the subject and make the right decision first time. i guess the moral of the story is " a shortcut aint always so " merry christmas to ALL.
Old 12-15-2005, 06:41 PM   #13
Northstar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1757
One of my tires is a little bit low on my Monty so I'm goimg to try some air before I have it changed. Merry Christmas
Northstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2005, 04:24 AM   #14
rickety
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4855
Steve, Thanks for the information on your problems with rolling up on blocks. I was considering doing that very thing, now I'm not. I will go with the bottle jack(s). You can also use them to steady up the Monty.
Hi Ho Hi Ho off to Schucks I go, Rickety gets new bottle jacks for Christmas! Many Thanks
rickety is offline   Reply With Quote