Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 10-15-2005, 03:22 PM   #1
rickfox
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2959
2006 Montana Models

Good Evening Folks,

I was at FunTime today in North Texas to have a look at the 2006 Montana models and picked up what I think is the latest brochure. The models are different in some cases than listed on the Montana web site and many of the weights are different than listed on the web site. The brochure has a 9/05 date and clearly says its the 2006 brochure.

When I compared the web site brochure .pdf file, it clearly says 2005 on the brochure. Also when comparing the web site brochure specs. to the web site "specifications" it is clear they do not agree with each other.

It is thus clearly obvious that the Montana web site is NOT UP TO DATE!! What a shame! Sure makes you wonder what models Montana is currently offering, and what the specs really are. For example, I accurately measured the length of the 3400RL at 37' 10" not including the back ladder, and 38' 4" including the ladder. The current 2006 brochure claims this length to be 37'1" - which is clearly not accurate!

The 2005 brochure on the Montana web site shows the hitch weight of the 3400 as 1770#, the web site spec page shows 1960#, the 9/05 brochure shows 2165#. I wonder which is really correct?

How can I find out what the REAL specs are these days??

rickfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2005, 03:20 PM   #2
BillyRay
Montana Master

M.O.C. #607
that was a huge problem when we ordered ours! there was little to no information available to see. we ended up ordering ours without getting all the answers! I can only immagine how many people give up and buy something else!
BillyRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2005, 12:02 PM   #3
rickfox
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2959
Hello Out There,

After calling 3 times today and having to leave messages, I finally got a call back from the factory. I was told that the web site was not up to date, and that the 9/05 brochure was in fact the latest information - and that there were in fact a few mistakes in it also.

It seems there have been a few interesting changes in the design of the front portion of the trailers on the bigger units - those that have optional king beds. According to the factory, the overhang (bedroom) on these models is actually a bit longer now. Because of this, and some engineering concerns, the hitch pins on these models - those longer than 35' - are now tucked back about 6" under the front of the trailer. This results in a slightly smaller turning radius than in the 2005 and earlier models. This change, along with a number of smaller changes has also resulted in the pin weights on many of the units to increase.
Old 10-17-2005, 02:38 PM   #4
Bill Frisbee
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4493
Even though our 3400 was listed as an '05 model, the specs (GVWR, pin weight, etc) in the unit are precisely those listed on the web site for the '06 model. The relocation of the king pin 6" toward the rear also makes sense. We were assured by the manufacturer of the original hitch we installed in our TV that clearance between the Monty and the cab of the TV when turning was not an issue. When we very carefully tested this assertion, we found that clearance was indeed a problem. The PullRite SuperGlide followed immediately.
Bill Frisbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2005, 04:19 PM   #5
rickfox
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2959
Bill,

According to the factory, the current production 2006 model specifications are most accurately described in the 2006 Montana brochure that is dated 9/05. The specs listed on their web site are in fact out dated. For example, the 1960# pin weight (on their web site) for the 3400RL is now listed at 2165# in the 9/05 brochure, and the VWW, which is listed as 11280# (on the web site) is now listed at 11710 in the 9/05 brochure.

It's hard to keep up with these guys!
Old 10-17-2005, 05:54 PM   #6
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Remember that the specs for each unit is listed on a sheet inside a cupboard in the unit. So when you are looking at the models at a dealer or RV show, you can check the specs out by looking inside.
Happy trails......................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2005, 12:07 PM   #7
Bill Frisbee
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4493
The figures to which I was referring are those inside the kitchen cabinet on our '05 3400. When the web site makes the statement that changes/improvements to the units are an on-going process, my assumption was that the only accurate specs for our Monty were the ones posted inside it. It also leads one to suspect that every Monty is unique and different in at least some aspect from every other Monty with the same model number.
Old 10-18-2005, 12:19 PM   #8
rickfox
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2959
Dear Sue,

According to the factory, both the stickers on the inside and outside are based upon a "typical constructed unit" of the model in question. These "typically built" units are only weighed when production changes are made. And even then, these stickers are not necessarily updated when the production change is actually made. At some point in time, new stickers are ordered, printed, and affixed to their proper places. The end result, is maybe the sticker will be correct, maybe not. But you can bet there are a lot of 5'ers out there with the same UVW sticker that are very different in contruction and options installed.
Old 10-18-2005, 12:38 PM   #9
Bill Frisbee
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4493
I am curious how the pin weight is calculated. Is the pin weight of 2165 lbs on the 3400 calculated at the unloaded vehicle weight or the GVWR? If it is calculated at the UVW, there are/will be a whole bunch of significantly overloaded pick-ups hauling Monty's around. If the pin weight on our 3400 is 2165lbs at the UVW, when Annie and I climb aboard our pick-up with a full tank of gas, the hitch installed and the Monty attached, we are immediately 35 lbs over the GVWR of the Dodge Ram 3500. And that does not include any clothes, food, other cargo, or other people in the truck ... or anything other than standard equipment being hauled in the Monty. Sounds to me as though we have pretty much reached the limit of (or exceeded) what can be safely towed behind even the largest pick-ups on the market.
Old 10-18-2005, 02:15 PM   #10
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Went from Super Glide to no slider to Super Glide for my 3400 next May. Think I'll stay there.
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote