Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 06-12-2005, 02:22 PM   #1
Montana_3032
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #3032
Are you 'AFRAID' to open your cabinet doors?

...I'm beginning too...not sure if some evil RV troll is messing with them or 'what'...

It started with the cabinet doors over the living room TV...went to put in a dvd one late evening and 'clunk' (with no prior warning)...the one of the doors came halfway off almost 'PUNCHING' me in the 'nose' ...okay no big 'deal'...hubby removed it (spent the remainder of the camping trip looking at the 'missing' door...
'Grandpa' fixed it for us...'cause Grandpa loves fixing stuff

Next trip...went to open the door over the 'desk'...you got it...the 'door' fell half way off and hit MY forhead...luckily no scars or stitches..

Last trip...I was opening the 'big' but 'high' 'pantry' doors and the whole dang door came off and I only had one hand on it...how I didn't put a pot knot on hubbies head I'll never know....never seen a 6' 3" guy dunk down to about 2 feet so quick ...

Well that was enough to get hubby to 'check' out the doors..he has found to that are 'sus'...and since they have our replacement glass for the 'french' doors in...he's gonna make them fix 'em and double check the other cabine doors...

I mean it's not like I swing from these thing like they are monkey bars or anything.....

But considering this is the 'worst' of my problems...I think we are doing okay...

(even if I do whine about 'design' flaws from time to time on the other forum )

Montana_3032 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2005, 02:42 PM   #2
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Summer,

Got to say, have had some situations, but, no doors coming off.

Got to be a little scary tho!
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2005, 03:57 PM   #3
DHenry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #496
Never had a single problem with ours yet, but will be checking them before the next trip.
DHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2005, 07:50 PM   #4
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
It sounds to me as if the problem is not a design problem, rather a construction problem. It sounds like the installer was using power tools to put the screws in and over torqued them which caused them to strip. Some craftsmen aren't.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005, 04:49 AM   #5
Sunshine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2018
Haven't had any doors fall off yet, but will check the hinge screws to be sure we aren't courting a problem.
Sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2005, 04:36 AM   #6
Dustytuu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2975
Haven't had any doors fall off yet but did have to fix one of the curtain hardware that was loose. Also one of the door fasteners was loose.
Nice to see you Summer!
Dustytuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2005, 06:03 AM   #7
sgf
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #680
We have not have the doors come loose,rather the entire bank of cabinets let loose and came crashing on to the couch.After checking put the situation found way too many staples,don't you love those things,missed th tack strip holding the cabinets in place.This happened under warranty and dealer replaced the cabinets and went through the entire rig and screwed all the cabinets into the holding pieces.Added some more myself to be sure they did nor let loose.Keystone uses way too short of screws and they run them in with over torque settings on their power screw guns.Quality of these units is poor imo and I have repaced all the cabinet crews also.My son works for a custom cabinet shop and got matching screws which are twice the length and we installed them the old fashioned way,by hand.The quality of this unit is not bad,just seems the workers half-a-- everything and their construction practices seem to be lax.I know in our old Sunline tt everything was screwed and glued,not one staple ran in by some under-trained employee going crazy with a power stapler.Keystone has seen this problem and nows screws everything together and we all know about the idiot employees that got canned for flunking drug tests.but this is the way of the world .Just glad I do not own a company,nobody would want to work for me,too strict and old school.
sgf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2005, 06:29 AM   #8
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
We've not had any problems with the cabinets other than a few that came open on the road. We found an adjustment of the latch so the male part is exactly centered with the female part so it gets the spring action on both sides stopped that problem.

Sgf, wow, that's a bad situation. When we took the factory tour a couple of years ago they were putting out 21 units per day. Last year they were up to 35 per day, they told us. Since then they've started a second line so that no line is putting out more than 21 per day again. So, hopefully, those kinds of problems are a thing of the past. Or at least happen far less. That doesn't help you much, I know, but is good for new buyers anyhow.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2005, 06:04 AM   #9
mobilrvn
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2056
Why isn"t everything "screwed and glued"? Can't imagine that Montana saves any money by using the absolute cheapest construction methods when they have to pay dealers to correct the faults and the lost of customer goodwill.
mobilrvn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2005, 08:59 AM   #10
Buddin
Established Member

M.O.C. #818
Haven't had any door to come off but the pantry doors come open and then the drawers roll out. Find all kinds of "stuff" on the floor. Any suggestions how to keep the drawers from folling out and the doors closed.
Buddin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2005, 09:59 AM   #11
Charlie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3029
We use bungee cords to hold the cabinet doors and drawers closed, they are the round nylon covered bungee cords, not the flat black rubber ones.
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2005, 11:32 AM   #12
campbud
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3142
We have not had any door come loose but I did have the big storage door on the outside come down on me....I did not have the clip in place fully ...so I learned my lesson there! OUCH IT REALLY HURT!
campbud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2005, 07:32 PM   #13
rldriver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2801
2005 2980RL... We did have three door came loose and fell off because the screws split the wood when installed, over torqued at the factory. I checked the other doors and have a similar problem. I am going to try and find brass bolts and change out all of them.

Richard Driver
rldriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2005, 03:39 AM   #14
Chaser
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2310
Send a message via Yahoo to Chaser
We have a 2004-3295RK - and have had cabinet doors loosen, as well as losing screws out of the sconce on the wall above the couch-and lose curtain holders (especially around the dinette set - am considering removing all bottom brackets and re-hanging the draperies - on very small rods and repositioning under the cornice boards... the cabinet/screw situation came out on our first tow - went right back to dealer - they were supposed to fix it - actually made it worse and made it look worse, so "Mr Fix it" (hubby) got out the wood puddy, and started from scratch, since then we keep checking - have had some other minor loosenings-but no row of cabinets crashing down...I also think packing things in these cabinets is a learning process with each trip, and that packing the tools to fix them is a must - no matter which manufacturer we buy from..it's very frustrating and dangerous to boot!

Evy & Mike Orlob
"Chaser"
Retired/RV'ers/Race Fans
2004 3295RK, 2004 Dodge Ram 1T
Chaser is offline   Reply With Quote