Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 01-02-2016, 07:08 AM   #41
kozzy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18144
Read the trade magazines, that's where I think you can get a good base, but you have to look at all the info. I read Trailer Life each month, and the action line is one thing I enjoy. I always look at which manufactures are having the most issues, and what they do to resolve them. Over the past few years, I have paid closer attention, since I knew we would be buying again. I always feel that how the manufacture stand behind their unit is the true testament, more so over quality. Now, I see a lot of letters going in for various Keystone products, however, they are the largest, so statistically, they should all the most complaints. I also see in the resolution section, that customers are pleased with the outcome of service they receive from keystone. My Grand Design had its issues, put the manufacture when above and beyond to take care of it, same with my Prime Time. now, my latest Montana is still too new, haven't used it yet. A chair was cracked, new one is on the way. I can share that with my 2004 Montana, the home theater system sucked, and I had major issues with it, Keystone replaced it once, still had the same junky issue. So the second time, instead of replacing it, at my request, they just credited me the money that the unit they would install was going to cost, and I took that money to get what I wanted. It was a nice gestures, and enabled me to purchase something to my likening, without just tossing the unit that came with the camper. Every brand out there, and I mean EVERY one of them, just like trucks, are going to have issues, its how the issues getting taken care of and the service we receive that makes the difference...

2019 Ram 3500 SRW Laramie CTD 6.7
kozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 08:55 AM   #42
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Over 10 years and two Montana's we can not complain about Keystone customer service. It has been excellent.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 06:46 AM   #43
harris71
Established Member

M.O.C. #13782
Our 2013 3100RL is our second Montana; the first being a 2000 3280RL. Both were purchased new. We had several issues with the 2000 during the first few weeks. The inverter blew out, numerous plumbing leaks (which I determined to be substandard fittings), and a slideout needed alignment. Dealer was pretty good at taking care of issues. The 2013 has been fine, with the exception of the step recall (still has problems) and the tires (GY Marathons, too light for this rig). Had two belt failures last year and replaced them with the G614's. I think our luck is due to this possibly being the dealer's "show model" and was somewhat broken in as such. Fit and finish is OK. I need to rework the (vinyl) crown molding some day as it has buckled. My main complaint with this and many other rigs is I sincerely doubt the designers and engineers are avid RV'ers. One big issue I see in a lot of makes is that when the slides are closed, you can't get at the some areas or the refrigerator. I looked at a new Cedar Creek "Champagne" addition yesterday and if they had moved the center island 3 inches to the rear (plenty of room to do so) you could get the fridge open without having to open up the slide. Our 3100 is similar; a 3" overhang on the counter (why?) prevents anyone over 80lbs. from getting passed the slide when it's closed. Keystone/Thor has made valued improvements over the years, but I wish there was a better feedback mechanism for users. We've made several simple alterations to our rig that didn't cost much but make a big difference in usability.
harris71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 07:45 AM   #44
RKassl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3699
This topic is very subjective and the answers lie with the person who makes the decision to purchase in this case a Montana. We started with a 2005 Montana and loved it very much, Alaska and back safely with no problems,it was hard to trade it off against out new 2015 3440RL. Over the years as we traveled with our 2005, we would read about all the upgrades and improvements that other folks were enjoying from their newer model years. Then last year we decided to preserve our investment and went back to our original dealer AND original salesman. We felt that after comparing dealers across several states our local original dealer gave us the best offer. Deal done. We were given the option of the Legacy Edition, and added it to our build because WE felt it offered many smaller things that we appreciated in the trailer. I am very detail conscious and when we did our PDI with a fine tooth comb, I felt that the workmanship was very acceptable and fit and finish was also very well done too.
So I guess the take away from our reply is that YOU need to be the judge of your decisions, WE are very pleased and that's what matters to us.
RKassl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 06:38 AM   #45
Mark N.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13862
My whole "beef" with Keystone is that like every other manufacturer of RVs in America, they seem to think they know best what we want, and what will serve us best. The American auto industry was in a similar position in the 70's-80's and history knows what their products were like then: Terrible. Along came the Japanese auto-makers and proceeded to kick our collective butts to the curb with their quality and innovations. The RV industry as a whole needs some serious realignment. They are like cookie-cutters of each other: Just slightly different paints and different decals. Shame on them for lacking strong innovation and attention to quality. I sure wish Toyota made a 5th-wheel!
Mark N. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 02:04 PM   #46
Dam Worker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17164
X 2 Mark.

Tom Marty