Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 03-17-2014, 08:40 AM   #1
anglerdad
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #14097
Reese R16 hitch

Does anyone have any experience with the Reese R16 hitch with the rail system? I believe it is also called the Titan. Especially in the newer GM trucks? I want something I can remove easily and have full access to my truck bed.

Also, do you leave your tailgate on when pulling or remove?

anglerdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 10:59 AM   #2
nosticks
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10378
I have a Reese 16K slider on a rail system. Removing the hitch is easy as pulling a few pins. The nut buster is getting it out of the truck. It's heavy and worse yet awkward. Some here just pull the pins and leave it hanging on the 5er pin, driving out from under it. Still getting it back on and lined up is a hernia in progress. Also, tow with the tailgate on.
nosticks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 11:14 AM   #3
tweber502
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13660
Like nosticks I also have the Reese 16K slider, not the R16 but the same concept. If I only need the hitch out for a short time I just pull pins and lift out with 5er. If I'm going to pull it out for the winter and store mine comes apart in two pieces. The head removes from the slider via a large pin. Makes it much easier to lift out of the truck when in two pieces. The rails stay in all the time. As for towing, I leave the tailgate on the truck. Tim
tweber502 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 12:18 PM   #4
sambam
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13166
I have the R20. It's the same basic hitch as the R16. I found it surprisingly easy to take out of the truck last fall. I just pulled the big pivot pin out of the head assembly and lifted that part off. Then I pulled the 4 pins for the legs and took them off separately. It was lighter that way and lighter than I expected. From there I just lifted them from tailgate to wheelbarrow and rolled them into the shed for winter. Of course, the rails are still in the truck, but they really don't get in the way of anything, for me anyway.

2010 Montana 3455SA, Mor/Ryde pin, wet bolts, TST 507, Progressive HW50C, GY G614
2019 Silverado D/A 3500HD LTZ DRW CC
B&W Companion
sambam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 05:09 PM   #5
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
I do the same as sambam and tweber502 by separating the head off the main body of the hitch and then pull the four pins that hold the main body down. I either use plain brut strength, help by someone else, or use my compact tractor with the front bucket loader on and lift it off the tailgate. I also leave the rails in bed of the truck and normally don't have a problem but I have made a small frame and covered it with 1/2" plywood and just set it in the bed of the truck and have a totally smooth floor then to haul items. As far as the tailgate, I tow with it on and up! I do have a Blue Ox Bedsaver that is connected to the main body of the hitch and if the fiver should come off the hitch the Bedsaver catches it and won't let the fiver drop on the tailgate or the siderails.
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 07:14 PM   #6
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
When I tow I keep the tailgate on the rig. Only forgot to drop it once and caused a knick on the topside molding - not enough to replace but the knick remains as an effective reminder. When I towed commercially I was not allowed to use my tailgate and kept it in my garage.

Things I've read say it's better to drive with the tailgate when not towing because it causes enough wind turbulence back there to assist with fuel mileage. Those three months towing commercial and I didn't use the tailgate and it seems that the fuel mileage was worse by a little bit (2 or more miles per gallon). Since I put almost 14,000 miles on my truck in those 3 months it seemed to make a difference, since it was also around the time when fuel was at its highest! I got paid for the tow but the fuel and maintenance were on my dime. I was happy when I stopped that job, put my tailgate back on and the fuel mileage seemed to go back up.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 01:09 AM   #7
anglerdad
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #14097
Thanks everyone. Rondo, I just watched the video on the Blue Ox Bedsaver. Very ingenious product!

Another question to those who own the R16-- Is it low enough in the truck bed that you can close the bed cover when not towing? This would be a deal breaker for me if it didn't sit low enough in my truck bed. I've seen pictures of the Reese 16 Pro, which looks like it rides low enough. The only pictures I've found for the R16 were sitting on the Slide Bars, which do raise the hitch up and appeared to sit higher than the top of the truck bed.
Old 03-18-2014, 01:34 AM   #8
WeBeFulltime
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11397
I'm sure you have your good reasons for asking about the Reese, but if I was in your position I would also look at some other brands. Many people are happy with their Reese but that was not my case. I bought a new 16k slider and was never happy with it. Sold the Reese and purchased a B & W and am happy now.

Full Timers 9/1/2010 through 1/16/2020.
WeBeFulltime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 04:55 AM   #9
sambam
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13166
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by anglerdad

Thanks everyone. Rondo, I just watched the video on the Blue Ox Bedsaver. Very ingenious product!

Another question to those who own the R16-- Is it low enough in the truck bed that you can close the bed cover when not towing? This would be a deal breaker for me if it didn't sit low enough in my truck bed. I've seen pictures of the Reese 16 Pro, which looks like it rides low enough. The only pictures I've found for the R16 were sitting on the Slide Bars, which do raise the hitch up and appeared to sit higher than the top of the truck bed.
I didn't see if you have a short or longbed truck. If you intend to get a slider, it will sit a bit higher, though I'm not sure it will be too high. My R20 is low enough to put a cover on. Just swing the handle into the down position.

2010 Montana 3455SA, Mor/Ryde pin, wet bolts, TST 507, Progressive HW50C, GY G614
2019 Silverado D/A 3500HD LTZ DRW CC
B&W Companion
sambam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 05:05 AM   #10
anglerdad
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #14097
Sambam, I have a 6.6 ft bed, but the new 2014 High Country is designed with Max Turn, which they say allows shorter bed trucks to turn 90 degrees without a slider option. I'm checking into this now to confirm, but if I don't need a slider I'd prefer to not have one. I'm also considering upgrading the hitch arm to something like the 5th airborne or the Mo/ryde.

David, thank you for the suggestion of the B&W. I will look at them.
Old 03-18-2014, 05:44 AM   #11
jlb27537
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13157
David, I do not think you will need a slider hitch. I used Reese in the past and this time I went with a B&W hitch. They make a 16K version of the companion you might want to look at.

Good prices here. http://tweetys.com/bandwcompanionfifthwheelhitch.aspx

I would recommend the Mor/ryde rubber pin. Make sure it has a #4 rubber block in it. It will probably come with a #5 and will be too stiff for your trailer weight.

Jim

2012 Ram Laramie 3500 DRW 4x4 3.73 Tow Max Pkg B&W Companion 60 gal RDS aux fuel tank. 2014 Montana 3150RL, 2 A/C's, Leather, 6 Point Jacks, Splendede WD2100XC, Mor/ryde X-Factor, Duravis 250 tires with TST 507RV monitors. 2 x Honda EU2000's
jlb27537 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 09:19 AM   #12
WeBeFulltime
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11397
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by jlb27537

David, I do not think you will need a slider hitch. I used Reese in the past and this time I went with a B&W hitch. They make a 16K version of the companion you might want to look at.

Good prices here. http://tweetys.com/bandwcompanionfifthwheelhitch.aspx

I would recommend the Mor/ryde rubber pin. Make sure it has a #4 rubber block in it. It will probably come with a #5 and will be too stiff for your trailer weight.

Jim
The B & W 16K non-slider Patriot is the one I changed to. Having no problems with it on my short bed Ram. Purchased from Tweetys.com for $399 and was delivered the next day at standard shipping rate. I also have and recommend the MorRyde pin box.

Full Timers 9/1/2010 through 1/16/2020.
WeBeFulltime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 09:31 AM   #13
bethandkevin
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12331
Mike, I don't have any problems with a non-slider in my truck. Not to mention I cannot remeber ever having to turn to 90* since having the Montana. If things are that tight, typically you can't let the rear of the trailer swing that far when pulling out or backing in.
bethandkevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 01:59 PM   #14
JandC
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13272
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by nosticks

I have a Reese 16K slider on a rail system. Removing the hitch is easy as pulling a few pins. The nut buster is getting it out of the truck.
I have the same one with a short bed. Never utilized the slider. I mounted a rear "V" tool box at the back of my bed and removed my tailgate. I mounted the tool box just far enough inside the bed so that I can have the tailgate on or off. When we stay put at our home base area for a month or more I generally put the tailgate back on but it is always off for traveling.
Old 03-19-2014, 01:19 AM   #15
MIMF
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2827
anglerdad, I also have the 16K slider and do the same as several others on this thread. Remove the plate first by pulling the single large round pin, set it on the tail gate. Then, pull the 4 rail pins, pull the base out of the rails and set it on the tail gate. Next, climb down off the truck and set everything on my little red wagon and away we go to the garage. The nut-buster to me, is lifting the base back up onto the tail gate when I'm putting it back in. But, not real bad. The tail gate of my truck stays on when I'm pulling the 5er.
MIMF is offline   Reply With Quote