Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 07-04-2011, 06:40 AM   #1
Joe Wakeman
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #9349
Ceiling spots mystery

I have quite often found dirty water spots on ceiling and left side cupboards, TV,and microwave. This appears after a pull and they were not there when we packed for travel. They are gray mud like that wipe right off. They have a tail on them so they are coming with some speed behind them. I have looked for the obvious like water on top of slide or any where else I can think of. Looked at air conditioner vent, but they are covered up while slides are in.

This last trip out they appeared on the right side not as many and blacker.

The spots are always on the ceiling or high on the sidewalls and have ran as far as the microwave to the TV. I have ran with the covered roof vent both open and closed.

Any like experiences?

Joe Wakeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 06:49 AM   #2
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
Send a message via Yahoo to NCFischers
It sounds as though some road dirt is blowing in as you travel. Check all the seals around the slides. just a thought.
NCFischers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 09:11 AM   #3
swanny
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8816
They are coming from the slides, well the rubber seal across the top. Happens to us, I watched it happen, The slide has water on the top with some dirt, as the slide closes at the end of it's travel the rubber seal pops in when it does it flings water, I get it above the ceiling fan, on the tv, and the microwave. I don't have slide toppers on the two living room slides. Maybe this is why it happens to me.

kevin
swanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 09:13 AM   #4
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
I get these too. I think it's a combination of dust in the rig, friction and static caused by the movement of air when towing and the fact that sealing a rig is near impossible. I travel in the dust prone, wind blowing environments and it's just a happenstance that I've learned to live with. I do try and keep all vents closed because others have mentioned it keeps the vortex down a bit. I tend to believe keeping the vents closed is best. I'm just not so sure what we see is what you see. Ours is minimal and not very noticeable.

Sealing of the rig and maybe even a design of the floorplan might make a difference.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 09:13 AM   #5
jimcol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7992
Send a message via AIM to jimcol Send a message via MSN to jimcol
I think Jim is right on. One thing you might check besides the seal is the travel of the slide. Is it in fact comming all the way in when you retract it? Just because it stops doesn't mean it is fully retracted as in resetable breaker popping. Just a thought! Jim
Old 07-04-2011, 09:43 AM   #6
Joe Wakeman
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #9349
I knew I could get reasonable answers from this group. Thanks for the information.
Joe Wakeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 03:37 PM   #7
HOOK
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11401
I have slide toppers yet i still wash the tops of all slides.
HOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 03:53 AM   #8
akf15e
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9143
Timely post - thanks! We had a bunch of spots I noticed when we arrived a the OBX last month. Thought maybe some dirt had flown off the ceiling fan.
akf15e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 04:07 AM   #9
swanny
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8816
As I said those spots got the best of me so I stood inside and watched the slide close one morning. Sure enough when the top rubber seal / wiper popped inward water droplet. came shooting in. The only way I found this was they hit me, on my white tee shirt. On my slide the rubber seal pops in right before the slide is completely closed. Both living room slide do this, the bedroom slide doesn't, the only difference is the bedroom slide has a topper and the others don't.

kevin
swanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 10:55 AM   #10
CamillaMichael
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10246
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by swanny

As I said those spots got the best of me so I stood inside and watched the slide close one morning. Sure enough when the top rubber seal / wiper popped inward water droplet. came shooting in. The only way I found this was they hit me, on my white tee shirt. On my slide the rubber seal pops in right before the slide is completely closed. Both living room slide do this, the bedroom slide doesn't, the only difference is the bedroom slide has a topper and the others don't.

kevin
We experience the same....
CamillaMichael is offline   Reply With Quote