Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 07-01-2011, 03:42 AM   #21
Ren
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10954
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by nosticks

On the weight issue, for the Mountaineer which I commented on a previous post. The GVWR is 14315, GAWR 6000 lb axles, UVW is 10930, and cargo limit is 3325. The BFG's at (3042 x 4 = 12168) should be good to go for the axle rating and the weight. It's ironic that the Maribombs have a higher safety margin at (3420 x 4 = 13680). Now what I need is an American made G rated Kevlar reinforced tire for $50.
When you find those tires, do let me know! As far as the weight rating on the Marithons, I wouldnt put to much stock in that. Its almost as if they are printing whatever needs to be printed on the tire so they can put them on these heavier 5ers. Ill trust the BFG's heavier construction, that weighs in around 50 pounds, waaaayyyy before the 35 pound Marithon.

But then again... I dont even have Marithons on mine. It came with the cheaper yet towmasters. Im hoping to change them out after the first of the year.

Old 07-01-2011, 04:11 AM   #22
steves
Montana Master

M.O.C. #185
IMO - if they are made in China don't trust them! I have one of the heavier units and had factory installed Carlisle E rated tires. According to the tires rating they were within specs for my Big Sky. I had two catastrophic blow outs with the Carlisle tires and then change them out to the G614's. After trips to Florida and all through Arizona, I have had no problems!It is not fun dealing with blowouts on the road, safety issues, trip delays and subsequent repairs. IMO buy the best tire you can afford.
steves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 04:24 AM   #23
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
I bought them because I know a little about different things, but by no means an expert on anything, good word of mouth experience from folks that have bought the tires goes a long ways in my book. I was one of the Mission tire casualties, quite a horror story, did not want to repeat that experience. Other, cheaper tires were rather lacking on the number of recommendations, could have served me well, but just not enough feedback on them to make me feel warm and fuzzy.
I have always bought Michelains for my service trucks, never had any issues, and got good service from them. I suppose I could have bought cheaper tires that would have given good service, but I knew what I would get based on past experience.
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote