Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 11-13-2010, 10:31 AM   #1
scuba dude
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10841
About the Norcold recall

I recently purchased a 2007 Big Sky 340RLQ and know nothing of a Norcold recall can someone give me info on this and what it effects.
Thanks
Richard

scuba dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 10:38 AM   #2
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Go to Norcold's web-site and there is a PDF with numbers that you need to check on yout refrigerator. I would venture to say that it is on the recall list.
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 02:24 PM   #3
CORattler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10496
To see if your refrigerator is affected go to: http://www.norcoldrecall.com/ It shows you pictures of where to find your refrigerator model number and lists the production years affected for both the 2 door and 4 door models.
Mine is not affected by the recall.
CORattler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 03:19 PM   #4
scuba dude
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10841
Thanks Much
scuba dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 05:37 PM   #5
washley1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9053
I know there have been a couple of threads on the forum about the recall, and this was the first one I found tonight. Our fridge was subject to the recall, and we had it serviced on Wednesday. We went down to storage today (Friday)about 5 PM to start the fridge, getting ready to leave on a trip on Sunday. There was no power available to the appliance at all. All breakers and fuses looked OK. I called the dealer, and he had me look at a small black box with several wires running into it to see if a red light was lit. Very dim, but it was. He said I need to bring it back tomorrow. He said the part they put in had done it's job and shut the system down. Since it was not on, what's to shut? There was nothing broken here until they fixed it, and now it doesn't work. I'll keep ya'll posted on this one.
washley1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 02:44 AM   #6
CamillaMichael
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10246
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by washley1

I know there have been a couple of threads on the forum about the recall, and this was the first one I found tonight. Our fridge was subject to the recall, and we had it serviced on Wednesday. We went down to storage today (Friday)about 5 PM to start the fridge, getting ready to leave on a trip on Sunday. There was no power available to the appliance at all. All breakers and fuses looked OK. I called the dealer, and he had me look at a small black box with several wires running into it to see if a red light was lit. Very dim, but it was. He said I need to bring it back tomorrow. He said the part they put in had done it's job and shut the system down. Since it was not on, what's to shut? There was nothing broken here until they fixed it, and now it doesn't work. I'll keep ya'll posted on this one.
Walt, where did you have the work done (I suspect I know, but hope I am wrong since we just our recall work done, probably at the same place...so I better put ours on a site and power up for a day or so to make sure ours works)? Michael
CamillaMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 05:07 PM   #7
washley1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9053
Michael, Yes it was lazy Days. When I went back this AM, several things came to light. 1) We found a plug not plugged. 2) That led to a blown fuse, that when replaced still did not let the fridge start. 3) After another hour of waiting this morning, a tech found that two of the wires had been cross connected, and now the fridge works. I will be calling next week after returning from a trip with the Big Sky, and setting an appointment with the service manager and the CEO of available, and I will be spelling out to them how I feel about their service crews not even bothering to test what they "fix". No way this fridge was going to turn on with wires crossed, so why was it released to me? Bottom line for me is that two years after the sale my service writer who was awesome got a new position and the new team is quite lacking. I am spoiled when it comes to service and I want that feeling back!
washley1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 07:04 AM   #8
CamillaMichael
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10246
Thanks, Walt. We are going to set up our Montana out front of the house, plug in, and turn on the refer. Hopefully we will not experience your level of service...will also do a follow-up. Hope you do not have any continuing problems with your unit. Michael
Old 11-28-2010, 11:19 AM   #9
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Well, that makes me think I'm going to start my generator and see if the refer fires up. I should pick up the SOB by Tuesday and we are leaving Thursday. I just might let it cycle down and go to LP to make sure.

Thanks for the info.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 06:28 AM   #10
CamillaMichael
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10246
Good news! Our Norcold worked before the recall work and seems to work now! We took our Montana out of storage early this am (ran lp to the refer on the way home) and set it up in front of our house. After a few hours of running, all seems to be working fine. Love it when things work out like that!
Old 12-27-2010, 01:51 PM   #11
Superdave
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6291
My unit got recalled , I was told to expect a 3 week wait for the parts by Camping world. Does this sound about right ?
Superdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 03:08 PM   #12
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by washley1

.......a tech found that two of the wires had been cross connected, and now the fridge works.....
Thank you for the above snipped I quoted. I forgot to do a follow up. When I picked up the SOB after the recall fix, I went inside and checked the refrigerator. It was blinking an error code and was not operating. I went back inside and told them that it was not operating and that most likely the wires had been crossed on installation. The technician got a silly smile on his face, but went outside to check. He stated that it was not a big deal to uncross them and check. He did, the refrigerator worked, and the smile on his face vanished. He thanked me.

So thank you for the post or I would not have known what to say to them - and it worked.

Edited: p.s., do not rely on the Norcold web site for information on YOUR refrigerator. Get the serial number off the inside door of the refrigerator, and the serial number of of the outside unit (forgot what it is called). Call Norcold and give them the serial numbers. Several people on other forums have reported that their refrigerator was not listed on the web site, but when they called Norcold the were informed that the refrigerator needed the upgrade. It's still Norcold warrant and will not cost you anything but the phone call.

Happy trails. Get it checked and stay safe.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote