Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 05-29-2010, 03:38 AM   #1
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Custom fifth wheel hitch frame brackets

DW and I came to East TX for the holiday weekend, and to have my son assist me installing the Reese slider in the 09 Silverado.

I had ordered the "custom brackets" from Etrailer a couple months ago, and have spent the last two months attempting to get the correct hardware shipped to me. Etrailer seemed extremely interested in helping me get the correct hardware, but I finally found a number for Cequent Towing and dealt directly with them to get the parts they had failed to ship.

So, the brackets were "custom", no frame drilling required, and the video on Etrailer made it so simple to install. Wrong! The video left out all the difficult parts of the install. I would not recommend anyone attempt this without a vehicle lift. Even then, you need about three more elbows in your arms. We cussed and discussed the brackets, and finally got the hitch mounted. Like I said, it ain't as easy as they want you to believe.

SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 01:54 PM   #2
PSFORD99
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9051
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by SlickWillie

DW and I came to East TX for the holiday weekend, and to have my son assist me installing the Reese slider in the 09 Silverado.

I had ordered the "custom brackets" from Etrailer a couple months ago, and have spent the last two months attempting to get the correct hardware shipped to me. Etrailer seemed extremely interested in helping me get the correct hardware, but I finally found a number for Cequent Towing and dealt directly with them to get the parts they had failed to ship.

So, the brackets were "custom", no frame drilling required, and the video on Etrailer made it so simple to install. Wrong! The video left out all the difficult parts of the install. I would not recommend anyone attempt this without a vehicle lift. Even then, you need about three more elbows in your arms. We cussed and discussed the brackets, and finally got the hitch mounted. Like I said, it ain't as easy as they want you to believe.

Sounds like it depends on the truck ,I too purchased custom brackets for my Reese 18K slider from Etrailer. I did remove the tires to make it more comfortable to install. My experience was just the opposite of yours, it was an easy installation, I also helped a friend install his, same results. Both installations were on a Ford Superduty
PSFORD99 is offline   Reply With Quote