Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 01-04-2009, 07:25 AM   #1
RKassl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3699
Replacement Battery Suggestions

I need to replace my two batteries for the duramax. Any suggestions from your experiences? Our Sam's Club has Energizer batteries that look interesting.

Thanks!

RKassl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 08:07 AM   #2
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
I think as far as wet cell batteries, there are really only a few manufacturers that make the batteries for all brand names. If you stick to the major brands, I don't think you can make a bad choice.

Gel cell batteries are interesting. I have no experience with them.
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 12:21 PM   #3
Gramps
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8903
The Optima orbital batteries are awesome. I put a set in my previous diesel, and couldn't have been happier. They don't spill, leak, gas, will work just fine if installed upside down, and are great in cold weather, as they tend not to freeze. Pricey, yes, but you'll get more than your moneys worth out of a set. Just my opinion.
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 12:29 PM   #4
TAKPAK
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8238
There are only a couple of manufacturers of batteries these days, and Johnson Systems/Globe Union (Johnson Control) is probably the largest. I would get the largest battery your holders can take, just for the "backup" when there is a big draw, such as hooking up, lights on with no engine running, etc. I personally like the AGM's (applied glass mat) such as Optima, etc. However, Optimas are VERY expensive. Other AGM's will work too, if you go that way. I am NOT promoting any brand, but Interstate is good, Trojan's are good, even Diehard (Sears) is highly rated. I would shop for the best deal, AND the best warranty. Be advised, IF you go with AGM's, they do NOT give any warning when they go bad. That is one of the idiosyncrasies of them, they die without warning. That said, a good battery should last 4 to 5 years. Longest I ever went with one in a diesel (Isuzu) was 8 years before it failed. The average for all the rest I've had has been 4 to 5 years. Look for the CCA's, which are "cold cranking amps." That is key for starting, as that is what turns the engine over, especially in cold weather. Get the battery with the most CCA's, and the longest duration of CCA's. If you subscribe to Consumer Reports, or if not, go by the library and look at one, they did a test on batteries a while back. It was very good and informative. Hope that helps.
2015 GMC Sierra 4X4 3500 SRW
TAKPAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 01:58 AM   #5
ARJ
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6162
I am using DuraLast from Autozone as they were (still ?) highly rated. I only replace the battery that is dead-not both at the same time, and have not experienced any problems using this method.

Interesting fact for GM owners: The dual batteries in GM diesels are wired in parallel and the result is one dead battery will discharge the other good one. This is the case in my 2002 GMC. Makes it a PIA to figure out which one is no good. By the way-the diesel WILL start on one battery.

It would have been nice if GM had put an ignition controlled isolation relay in the battery circuit.
ARJ is offline   Reply With Quote