Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 10-07-2008, 08:48 AM   #1
c214dick
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8160
Airtabs

Louise and I just returned from a 4270 mile trip. This spring I installed Airtabs on our Dodge and Monty but until this trip all travel had been to local campgrounds only. When towing I usually got 10-12 mpg before the Airtabs and that was with our smaller, lighter Cedar Creek.

My overall mpg was 13.8 with 2200 miles attributed to towing and the rest to side trips, sightseeing, etc. I was able to calculate some straight towing miles at 11.7-12.2 mpg.

I spent a total of $1240 for fuel at an avg of $4.02.9/gal and a total of 308.9 gals. Prior to this trip I did see a significant increase in mpg on my truck w/o towing.

I'm only posting this as an FYI for alternatives to better fuel economy. Additionally there was a noticable decrease of dirt collecting on the rear of the Monty though I have not figured out a way to eliminate the bug collection on the front. Airtab also claims that turbulence from the wake of passing semis is reduced/eliminated but that's a problem I have never had since going to a fifth wheel.

Airtabs claim a 4% increase in fuel economy and cost $2.50@ plus shipping. You can view the web site at www.airtab.com for additional info. They also have a spread sheet to determine the ROI, return on investment, for your purchase.

c214dick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 09:46 AM   #2
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Dick - Can you post pictures of your installation. Sounds very interesting. And a real life testimonial is more convincing than an advertisement.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 12:25 PM   #3
c214dick
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8160

The Monty also has Airtabs at the roof line which are not visible. Airtab includes a template used for the correct spacing when installing the tabs. They also recommended putting the tabs on the A/C housing to help with wind resistance as well. I haven't "crawled" up to the roof yet.
Old 10-09-2008, 07:06 AM   #4
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
we have been considering those for some time .These are vortex generators used on airplanes and they do break up turbulence. There is a great deal of turbulence in the rear of the pickup bed that the air tabs can not deal with. If we can find a way to deal with that????
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 09:20 AM   #5
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
There is a way to deal with that turbulence, get rid of that Ford pickup and get on of those nice Volvo pickups Dave
Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 12:58 PM   #6
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Rich,
You need on of those louvered diamond studded tailgates.

OH NO! NOT AGAIN!
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 06:01 PM   #7
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Are you radar invisible with these installed?
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 12:49 AM   #8
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Every now again these AirTab discussions reappear on various Forums. If memory services me they were even discussed on the MOC sometime ago.
Now I am not questioning Dick's sincerity in his claim of better fuel mileage but every mile we drag these rigs down the hiway is different from the last mile. Every hiway is different. Everyday is different than the day before or the month before. Everyday we have different weather conditions ie cold, rain, wind, etc. This alone can change fuel mileage. I could go on but I think you are getting my drift.
I am a firm believer in seeing the proof before I go out and spend the bucks on an unknown.
As many big rigs as there are on the road WHY don't we see them being used. If they were such fuel savers, the big rigs want to save all the fuel they can, how is it you very rarely see these AirTabs on their rigs?
How is it that the trailer, both commercial and RV, manufacturers have not put them on their trailers? You can't even find them as factory options.
I think it is time for "The Myth Busters" to take a look at these AirTabs. They did dispel the myth that louvered tail gates saved fuel and yes even the Diamond studded ones.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 05:10 AM   #9
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
The concept will work if applied correctly. There is a big difference in the areodynamics of a big truck and a pick up pulling a 5th wheel. The turbulance in the pick up bed must be eliminated for maximum effectivness. That the camper is so high above the roof of the P/U does not help.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 10:13 AM   #10
c214dick
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8160
As mentioned in my original posting this is an FYI based on our trip of 4270 miles. I'm not promoting airtabs just giving info based on my calculations. Maybe I'm just trying to justify my initial expense. I guess I could have invested it in about 70 gals of diesel. I don't know about the turbulence in the bed of th truck as I can never get Louise to ride back there.

And yes they did make us invisile to radar as we did not get one ticket. Of course the fact that we were always below the posted speed might have something to do with it.
Old 10-14-2008, 10:49 AM   #11
skypilot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1846
Can't speak to the air tabs but can about the turbulence -- just finished a 1500 trip with my Dodge 3500 DRW and SOB -- and killed bugs like I've never done before . However, I also had bugs splattered on the tops (yes -- tops) of my dually fenders. The bugs did not hit the top and then drop down -- they splattered on the top of the fenders. That showed me, at least with my rig, that there is an awful lot of air going down that front cap as well as up and over!!
skypilot is offline   Reply With Quote