Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 12-13-2007, 03:03 AM   #1
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
The beach, Ozz, and a dog..........

We all love the South Padre Island beach, the beautiful clean sand, the ever present breezes, cool off the ocean.
I was hooked at first visit, that was 4 years ago.
Yesterday, I ran my errands, got the ‘Ducks in a row’ so I could spend the early afternoon sitting in my low lawn chair, at the waters edge. I read that we were to have a rare cool rainy day today, that made the afternoon even more inviting.
I arrived at the beach access, unloaded my lightweight chair, small cooler and walked the short distance to the waters edge. The Sea Gulls politely made room for me, and I sat back to enjoy my afternoon.
The sounds of the waves breaking, the cool winds and warm Sun were all I could hope for, I was in Heaven. People walked by, politely nodding their heads, exchanging pleasantries. Just down the beach there were a group of wake boarders cautiously charging the waves in the shallow water just off the beach.
A man and a stocky dog veered off their route and stopped.
The man volunteered that he just spent time in Montana, figured the Island would be nice to visit this time of the year. His dog, roaming off leash came to sniff me, slobbering over one leg, then circled to the other side of my chair and sniff the other leg. The man seemed to think this was fine for his large wet dog to do this, I was half listenening to him, a little concerned about his dog’s attention. The dog was higher than my low chair, he got close to me as if I were a Fire Plug, I could tell his next move , so I took my foot and pushed his side, hard, to move him away. I told the man to move on, and told him he should control his dog. He left, dog following, off leash.
I stewed about that for the next hour, thanks, Mr. Montana.
I have noticed many dog owners here, let their dogs roam off leash, many of them have the retractable leashes in hand, but not used.
I have also noticed that these dog owners hook up the pet when they see a small truck driving down the beach.
I would hope that the leash law be enforced more aggressively, many dog owners are responsible, but many are not.

Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 03:33 AM   #2
old turbo
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2486
Ozz, Enjoy the good weather. I can almost ensure you that when I get down to Texas, I will bring this wonderful weather from MI. You will not need the cooler for your drinks. That all said I hope I find the island warm and inviting when we get down to Palmdale. My driveway is a ice rink. I hope we get some warm weather to melt it. I do not have four wheel drive and I do not think four wheel drive will get me out with the 5vr on the back, with the grade that I have to the road. I may have to go into the old barn out back and get some sand and put it one the drive.
old turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 03:51 AM   #3
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
OZZ, it's the same way here with the dogs. We go to the beach at Port A, and within the city area of the beach, where there is a leash law, many folks walk the dog on the beach with the leash, but not connected to the dog. Of course, as we know, there are some folks that don't think any rules pertain to them. The RV park here is pretty tight on leashes on dogs, but the cats are allowed to run at will. And you know what they do; up one end of your vehicle, around the cab looking for a way to get inside, then down the back. I ever catch one of them, the leash will accidentally come loose from the dog. BTW, he hates cats, and knows what to do with them.
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 03:53 AM   #4
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Old Turbo,

Same situation here, icy drive, reluctant to even start packing, departure date questionable. Now watching storm due in Indiana, Illinois and Missouri soon?? Snow?? did we hear that right???

Ozz, feel for ya, dogs off leash is not a good subject to get into a conversation with me. I get mighty ugly. Rules not for me syndrom. GRRRRRRRRRRRR
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 04:46 AM   #5
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
You two wait for that clear weather window, too much at stake.
Will, it's the same everywhere, I would think. Human nature being what it is.
Cool here today, misty, high 50's, have the fireplace on, cozy Montana day. I think a hot, aromatic soup would be tasty. Time to dip into that archived Tivo list.
Not much stirring outside, the Palm trees still beautiful.
Ozz
Old 12-13-2007, 05:52 AM   #6
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Days of windows of opportunity are rather close together right now, the way those storms are blowing through.

We probably will start packing, things that won't freeze one day, put the slides in. Next day, food and other stuff that will freeze, put the slides in, but with minimal heat. We are trying to adjust to a different set of rules this year. We have kinda figured we just might have to heat Tana more than 2 nights this year, do what we gotta.

Adjust, and be careful! Sit it out till it is good.

You are doing a good job Ozz of reporting the enjoyment of retirement and Winter Texan living!

Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 07:04 AM   #7
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
I would like a dog that I could take with me off leash. A dog that would stay by my side at all times. A dog that will do what I ask, without hesitation.

However, this female Husky/Chow combination I have is the owner, and I'm the pet. They only thing I can do to control her is to leash her. She loves to play. She thinks humans are her toys to play as she wants. She's learning. She will be on a leash when we are camping.

But if you want to play - I'll let her go.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 08:32 AM   #8
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
Ozz,

Usually, the unleashed dog runs over to me, jumps up and leaves his wet paw prints on my clothes. The owner will then scold the dog even though the dog is not at fault; the fault lies with the owner. Save the poor dog, punch the owner next time...you'll feel more satisfied.
simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 10:40 AM   #9
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
In a perfect world........
Old 12-14-2007, 12:48 PM   #10
kerry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7125
Ozz, what CG are you staying at and what's it like? I,ve been thinking about taking a week or two or three in Jan. somewhere in FL. Kerry
kerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 01:54 PM   #11
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Kerry,
Isla Blanca County Park, Cameron County, South Padre Island, Texas.
Maybe two blocks from the beach, a block from the Laguna Madre bay.
In one word, wonderful. I have little Black and Blue marks all over me, as I pinch myself every day just so I know I am not dreaming.
http://www.co.cameron.tx.us/park/parkmap.html Our RV Park
http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n...owBIRDS030.jpg Our Beach
Old 12-15-2007, 10:31 AM   #12
ggranch
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6588
Ozz, Snowed all day at your stick house! Enjoy. Bob
ggranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 10:49 AM   #13
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
I heard the power stayed on around there. Good news.
Funny about the timing, I just looked up the K.C. Star paper and checked the weather.
Thanks for the update.
Old 12-15-2007, 11:19 AM   #14
hazmic
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4962
Hey OZZ
I think the dog was going to warm up you cold CORONA.
hazmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 12:53 AM   #15
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by hazmic

Hey OZZ
I think the dog was going to warm up you cold CORONA.
I think you are correct...
Old 12-16-2007, 05:10 AM   #16
AZCampinfool
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5430
Hey Ozz, I think I would have been more worried about all those seagulls hovering above your head in that pic than the dog. Looks like you were in their sights!!
AZCampinfool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 05:17 AM   #17
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
I got 'bombed' by birds more in San Antonio at the River Walk more than here by the Sea Gulls!