Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 10-13-2007, 08:30 AM   #1
Wayne and Carolyn Mathews
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7445
Sticker Residue Remover

We are quite familiar with the adjustment/operation procedures for emergency exits in our RV. Those red EXIT stickers on our large living area window (right at eye-level when we're sitting) blocked our view of the lake and mountains where were are living for the next couple of months. Ditto for the EXIT sticker on the bedroom window. In our first 5th-wheeler, those stickers peeled off easily, leaving no residue. We kept the stickers in small plastic bags just under the windows where they were removed so that if we had to get the info in a hurry, it was right there and easy to read through the plastic. After removing the big EXIT stickers from our Montana windows, I have had to admit defeat in cleaning off the sticker glue or whatever it was that attached it to the window. Goo-Gone, WD-40, holding a sponge filled with hot water over it for hours (so it seemed when I was holding it!) . . . nothing will remove that residue. I haven't tried a razor blade yet because I wasn't sure if doing so would damage the window. Does anyone have a proven method for removing this kind of glue residue from an RV window? I understand why the stickers are put on those exit windows, but because I have relocated those sticker/instructions to locations right at the windows for easy reference, if necessary, I'd like to have a clean window to enjoy the gorgeous views around us.

By the way, this is our first Montana, a 2007 3585SA, and we love it. We're living in it full-time at the moment, in southwest Montana, on some property where we are building a home. After being generator-dependent for nearly 2 months, we finally have power to the property, but no water or septic system in place yet. So, ever so often we have to hitch up and drive 40 miles to town to dump and get water. We've already had a couple of 20-degree nights . . . interesting, but no problems keeping warm; it's the 20 to 40 below nights that we are dreading. We know from living here for the last 5 years that those temperatures are on their way. We will have to put some type of skirting around our RV to block the constant wind that comes directly off Clark Canyon reservoir to our east and from the mountains on all sides, but we haven't yet come up with a skirting idea that isn't a headache and major hassle to move or dismantle when we have to take the trailer to town to dump the tanks and get fresh water, something that is an inevitable, regular occurrence. Hay bales are easy to get up here, but the mice would love that, and I'm not crazy about putting something so flammable around me. Aside from that worry, we are enjoying our Montana and love looking out the windows (through the sticker mess) at the moose, deer, elk, and other wildlife that come through our property regularly.

Wayne and Carolyn Mathews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 09:09 AM   #2
rldriver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2801
Glad to hear that you are enjoying your new Montana and hope you stay warm this winter.

As far as the glue on the windows "Goo Gone" works well, a little on an a rag and off it goes. Takes a little elbow grease. McGuire (sp) also makes a glue remover but I have only seen it in about an 8 oz. can. But you can you it to remove all the stickers from your windows in the stick house when you get to that stage.

Good luck and happy camping

Dick
rldriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 09:50 AM   #3
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7445
I think I've permanently damaged one elbow and used nearly a full 16-ounce bottle of Goo Gone, and the last layer of that sticker is still intact. I've never seen anything like what is left on the window, either. It's not sticky or gummy. Instead, it looks and feels like a matte-finish white paint. I can't roll the edges of it, can't rub a hole through it, can't get anything to soak into it . . .

We love living in our Montana so much that we're in no hurry to start that stick-built house!
Old 10-13-2007, 10:07 AM   #4
Tincup703
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #6385
Look a product called GOOF OFF. You can find it at most any home center or hardware store. Similar to GOO GONE but a little more industrial and better for the residue that's been on long term and far less elbow grease. It comes in a small metal squeeze can.

tc
Tincup703 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 12:28 PM   #5
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7445
Thanks--never heard of Goof Off, but something in a metal container might be stronger than something in plastic. (Well, one can hope, right?) I'll definitely give it a shot as soon as I can locate the product. I'll look in Dillon tomorrow when we take the trailer in to dump the holding tanks, but for anything other than screws, nails, Elmer's glue, etc., we usually have to make the 2-hour trip to Butte or Idaho Falls, our nearest towns of any size. Thanks for the suggestion.
Old 10-13-2007, 12:55 PM   #6
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
We have had good luck with Goof-off AND a razor blade scraper, preferably one of the silver slide out ones you get at hdwr stores. Soak it with the Goof Off and let it sit for a few minutes then scrape away and scrub off the last dregs of it when done scraping. Dave and Betsy
Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 01:59 PM   #7
nailbender
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5811
Try "De-Solv-it", it removes oil, tar,grease, adhesives, and chewing gum. I use Goof-off at work which is mainly used to remove vinyl paint.
I agree with you about the exit stickers being unsightly. I doubt anyone would stop to look at for exit sticker in an emergency.
nailbender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 02:06 PM   #8
trukdoc
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2220
Send a message via MSN to trukdoc
Baby oil works well also.
trukdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 03:49 PM   #9
mamashappy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7633
lighter fluid? vinegar?
mamashappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 04:41 AM   #10
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
I've tried goof-off, goo-gone, wd-40 etc. with varying results.

Try mayonnaise, rub it on with your finger, several times....then try the razor blade method above.

Good Luck...they are unsightly. We got lucky ours came right off....and right into the trash can.

Only 96 days until the Quartzsite rally!
simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 05:03 AM   #11
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7445
Boy, you really got lucky. I bet I've spent 3 or 4 hours already trying to remove just the residue from the big window. I normally would have attacked it with a razor blade and/or some heavy-duty solvent, but I was afraid I'd damage the window. Someone with a wicked sense of humor must have attached the stickers. Not one of them peeled off cleanly, so I'm actually dealing with 6 places to clean.
Old 10-14-2007, 05:37 AM   #12
rldriver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2801
OK, I screwed up on my first post. I told you to use McGuire, it must have been that "M" thing. The best you can use is made by 3M and it comes in a can. I used it in our new home years ago to remove the glue from the stickers on all the windows and it was not easy but worked good. Sorry about the McGuire thing.

Good luck,
Dick
rldriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 08:09 AM   #13
MacDR50
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7691
Wow. Sounds like a good coating for the space shuttle.

When I find something that won't budge and it is on an impervious material like glass I use one of two things. Acetone will clean epoxy and similar type adhesives. Lacquer thinner is a powerful solvent that works on many glues that defy less powerful solvents. Caution though, both are nasty chemicals so be extra careful.

Another thing you might try is a hair dryer. Adhesives which bond on contact are popular for things that have to withstand harsh conditions. They are used for such things as decals and the annual license plate stickers. Some release when heated. Again caution is required to prevent overheating surfaces. Good luck.

I have just ordered a 3585 and would be happy to hear your experiences.
MacDR50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 05:00 PM   #14
Driftwoodgal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5446
Send a message via AIM to Driftwoodgal
Shucks MacDR50 you posted before I had a chance to mention Acetone and the hair dryer. Acetone is a nail polish remover. Someone also mentioned Awesome. We had stains on our RV from trees that took full strength Awesome and Mr. Cleans Eraser pads. The pads really work well, but possibly scratch the window. I would test the pads out on something before I used it on the RV window.

Colleen
Driftwoodgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 02:57 AM   #15
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7445
Neither heat from the hair dryer nor rubbing with acetone budged that residue or made a dent--or clean place-- in it. However, my arms are certainly getting a good workout a couple of hours a day. I still haven't located locally any of the stronger solvents fellow RVer's have suggested, but as soon as I get to Idaho Falls or Butte or Bozeman, I'm going shopping! In the meantime, it's back to "Scrub right, scrub left" while reading or watching television. I keep hoping I'll look up from what I'm doing and see that some of the mess is off the window.
Old 10-17-2007, 02:58 PM   #16
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7445
Victory! After spending 30 minutes with a razor blade and turpentine, the sticker residue is gone. Now I can watch the moose and deer without a big red EXIT sign blocking the middle of the view! Thanks to everyone who offered suggestions--what a great community for getting help. I appreciate it.
Old 10-17-2007, 03:06 PM   #17
mamashappy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7633
whoo-who! finally ... a cure for sticky stuff. so glad to hear it worked.
mamashappy is offline   Reply With Quote