Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 04-23-2007, 08:29 AM   #1
lwcdg
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4726
1st wkend out this year (good & bad events)

Destination Hoosier Horse Park 4 hour trip
Horse Show - daughter & niece, most of this group is from Lafayette IN. area.
Group consists of 7 showing and 5 non riding helping adults.
6 horses, 2 horse trailers, TT & 5er

This was to be a hobby / working weekend. Daughters' horse show at Hoosier Horse Park and we are working as volunteer parents.

1st big problem I65 downtown Indy. I ran the truck out of fuel, (1st time ever) meant to switch to new tank but didn't. Call AAA argue with them for 20 minutes that they CAN tow a 1 ton pickup, they finally agree after talkin with a manager. (side note: people need to be trained if in the profession of towing what trucks they can and can not tow. AAA up to 8000 lbs.)

Now towed to other side of Indy to Wabash Ford. Fuel line purged of air (I now know how to do this) 30 minutes later and only $47.00 and I'm back on the road. Things are looking good now.

2 problem 12 to 15 miles from exiting off I65 at my destination SMOKE EVERYWHERE, slow down and pull off to the shoulder. I find the problem. Oil is pouring out of an area behind the motor and in front of the trans. (I'm calling it bell housing area)

My sister finds a gentleman having a conversation with 2 others and asks if anyone there would be willing to pull a 5er off of the interstate to the horse park. He says no problem give me a minute and I'll be ready, This was the 1st person (Lee) she asked! She was quite amazed! She knew she could count on the horse community but knows nothing of rvers. Now she does.

Lee shows up and suggests that with the traffic being so heavy that we should move the TV off the road. Now that the TV is off in the grass he hooks up to the Monty still on the shoulder. Did you ever try to put the jacks up on an interstate shoulder in heavy traffic? 70 plus speeds - no fun!

AAA sends out a truck and Lee knows this companys owner and assures me it's a good out fit. The young man has only been towing for about 3 weeks so he's slow but working off a checklist. With the truck secure he asks for my info. Now he's on his way back to Wabash Ford in Indy with my truck. They're open until 11pm.

Friday horse training with instructor - good time per daughter
Saturday - show is great weather, our group has placings 2 thru 7
Side note Saturday night Sister hits deer cracked trim around turn signal light. (basically no damage to chevy truck)
Sunday - more training with instructor and uneventful trip home.

Chuck

PS DW even commented that I never lost my temper or got mad, raised my voice only 1 during the weekend and it was when speaking with AAA, it was a great weekend.

Monday Wabash Ford - trans problem and cheaper to put in rebuilt than it is to repair. cost 3200.00 3yr 75000 mile warranty.

lwcdg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 09:16 AM   #2
Longwell
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5192
Sounds like a balancing act between having a good time and having a catastrophe!!!
I hope they balanced out, in spite of the tranny cost.
Better luck next time.
Larry
Longwell is offline   Reply With Quote