Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 03-18-2007, 04:41 AM   #1
Mac
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4624
TV Cleaning

Not sure if this is the right place for this topic but if not I'm sure someone will help me get it moved to the right location.

I just noticed that I have some staining on the plastic "chrome" grill on my new Silverado 2007 Classic. I have a suspicion that it's from the magnesium chloride they use around here in the winter instead of salt and sand. In any case they almost look like little rust spots and I would like to remove them and prevent them in the future. I've only tried Turtle wax so far and that takes off some of them but not all.

I'm wondering if anyone else has run across this or if they use mag chloride in your area. I haven't tried rubbing compound yet but that's my next thought. If anyone has a suggestion please let me know.

mac

Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 06:55 AM   #2
The Oldguard
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2625
Mac, use the dryer sheets to remove all of the blood & critter guts from your TV then dry. Next apply a good coat of multi-purpose “GOOP” hand cleaner to all of the chrome, and let set for about 20-25 minutes then hose off, do not use any soap or rag when doing this. The lanolin goes into the pore’s and loosen the rust then protects the chrome, works in the great northwest also keeps the mold down (LOL).
The Oldguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 04:08 AM   #3
Clyde n Deb
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3477
If it's plastic, don't use any rubbing compund...it'll scratch permanently. I had this problem from the m.c. on my '01 Tahoe on the painted apron below the grill. My HD (GMC) seems to be OK so far. Been thru 3 winters. How many times have you washed since the goop has been on there? I have noticed sometimes after a nasty winter road rash time, it takes 2-3 washings to really come clean.
Clyde n Deb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 05:53 AM   #4
rickety
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4855
Good Info OLDGUARD
Works like a champ on my plastic "chrome"
rickety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 03:01 PM   #5
Mac
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4624
Ok you two, I'm taking your word for it but now I can't find Goop. Seems like you couldn't swing a dead cat without hitting a can of goop and now I can't find it around here. I'm still looking because I want to try it!

mac
Old 03-30-2007, 03:14 PM   #6
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
mac,
Head to your local tire shop that sells them fancy chrome wheels and pick up the wax/polish they sell for them. I have used that stuff on all the chrome wheels I had on my sports cars, my running boards, the front chrome piece on the truck grill, the grab rails on the boat, everywhere I have chrome or stainless steel. Stuff works great!! Just another idea...
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 03:53 PM   #7
DarMar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1034
Just checked the name of my last bottle of hand cleaner and it's "Luster Clean", the important thing is the lanolin content and not so much the name. This worked amazingly for my chrome door handles that looked like they needed to be removed and thrown away. One could use wax on them all day long and nothing, but 20 or so minutes with my "Luster Clean" and they look new again!!!
2017/3721RL/Legacy Pkg./Pressure-Pro
DarMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 12:55 PM   #8
Native Tex
Montana Master

M.O.C. #375
Look at Wal-Mart or any auto parts store for GOOP. I think even Lowes sells GOOP on their cleaning isle. It does work.

Native Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 01:41 PM   #9
Mac
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4624
I found Goop yesterday, tried it and nothing. I also tried wheel cleaner, the brand name was Mothers I think. I'm really frustrated, I have less than 2000 miles on this truck and I have these marks or stains on the grill. Now they're not noticeable unless you look but it still is VERY frustrating. It's like seeing all those little scratches when you wax your vehicle.

I'm sure it's the magnesium chloride but I just don't know how to get rid of them. My neighbor purchased a new Jeep Commander about two months before me and he's got them on his as well. I'll listen to any suggestions.

I'm starting to be concerned that this mag chloride is causing problems that we won't even know about for years. I'm not sure if it's used everywhere but we've been using it here in CO for at least 15 years on some level or another.

mac
Old 04-01-2007, 02:37 PM   #10
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
mac,

Here is another suggestion: try "heavy metal treated cotton metal polish". This stuff removes light corrosion, tar, rust, stains, and tarnish from the following; chrome, aluminum, copper, silver, brass, bronze and gold. I use it on the "winter set" of chrome wheels I run on my moms car. She was getting some pitted spots on them that had started to rust. This stuff took the rust right off the wheel and brought that area back to its original shine. I bought this stuff from Les Schwab tire centers as they recommend it for all the chrome wheels they sell. You might be able to find this or something similar at your local grocery store or Target. I would look for something that is a metal polisher, like you would use on your best silver table settings.
Old 04-01-2007, 02:47 PM   #11
Mac
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4624
Thanks Sky! I'm ready to try anything right now. Apparently my wife doesn't think it's a good idea to trade in my new truck because it has a few stains on the grill. I told her at 500 miles it was time to trade!!

mac
Old 04-01-2007, 03:09 PM   #12
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
mac,

One last suggestion if the metal polish does not work. Go to your GM dealership and buy the GM bug and tar remover. It seems they are always paving or oiling the road down at the river. Having a white truck, I cannot stand to see those little oil and tar specs all over my lower fenders. The GM stuff takes it right off with very little elbow grease. If that does not work, I guess you will have to buy a new grill or start running your grill cover all winter.

You have less than 2,000 miles on that baby??!! Is it not almost 7 months old?? LOL! You know where I am going with this.......
Old 04-01-2007, 04:19 PM   #13
Mac
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4624
Sky,

Don't exaggerate it's only been about five months and I'm breaking her in slow! I just can't believe that the grill is already looking ugly.

mac
Old 04-02-2007, 03:21 AM   #14
ARJ
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6162
I hate to be the bearer of sad news but the mag chloride eats metal so fast that even washing immediately after driving through it does not seem to stop the corrosion.

I sometimes run I70 from Grand Junction to Denver in the winter and wash the truck after arriving at either end. Luverne even replaced my running boards because of the corrosion and when it happened again, I called them and their recommendation was to try Lime Away, but they also told me that their own trucks in Denver are being eaten up by this stuff.

My own running boards and side moldings look like crap!
ARJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 12:34 PM   #15
Mac
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4624
Allan,

Dang, that's not what I wanted to hear. BUT it does confirm my thoughts that it's the mag chloride. I got stainless steel nerf bars so hopefully they will hold up.

mac
Old 04-02-2007, 12:45 PM   #16
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
mac,

If you went with the Westin platinum stainless running boards they have a lifetime warranty against rust, corrosion, and pitting. Just keep your original paper work.

Alright so it has been about 5 months... At the way I roll, I would have over 12-15,000 miles on that bad boy already! You have some catching up to do. LOL! I bet I will pass you up again with my next Duramax at the rate you drive...
Old 04-02-2007, 01:46 PM   #17
ARJ
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6162
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Montana Sky

mac,

If you went with the Westin platinum stainless running boards they have a lifetime warranty against rust, corrosion, and pitting. Just keep your original paper work.

Alright so it has been about 5 months... At the way I roll, I would have over 12-15,000 miles on that bad boy already! You have some catching up to do. LOL! I bet I will pass you up again with my next Duramax at the rate you drive...
The Luvern boards ARE stainless. Luvern would have been happy to replace the boards a second time but I felt that the mag chloride was a Colorado issue and it would not be right to have them stand the cost of the new boards. Besides, the new ones would have been eaten up the first time I took I70 in the winter.
Old 04-02-2007, 02:45 PM   #18
Mac
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4624
Allan,

GEEZ! Can you NOT post something positive for me?? I need a little sunshine in my life! Seriously, thanks for the update and I agree, if they're just going to keep getting trashed, what's the point?

mac
Old 04-02-2007, 04:06 PM   #19
ARJ
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6162
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Mac

Allan,

GEEZ! Can you NOT post something positive for me?? I need a little sunshine in my life! Seriously, thanks for the update and I agree, if they're just going to keep getting trashed, what's the point?

mac
Well, when I spoke w/Luvern I was told that the nerf bars have thicker stainless that the running boards and therefore may not pit as badly as the boards. (That's the best I can do)

Mac-I think this is something we just have to live with as we live in CO. We are not alone. Do a search on mag chloride and you will probably see some sad stories.

Truckers are also having some serious issues with that stuff.