Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 09-08-2021, 12:55 PM   #1
BRJ
Established Member

M.O.C. #24738
Just a couple of questions after our major first trip.

We just got back from PEI and Nova Scotia with our new 3120RL Montana. New but almost 2 years old. Damn Covid! Like a lot of you, we dressed it up real nice. We have been through this so many times with other units, we knew pretty much what we wanted.
This unit is without a doubt the finest and most comfortable trailer I've been in. It drives like a dream. Never been happier. On delivery, our only problem was a leaking jack replacement.
So this trip we had only one issue. We lost power on one half of our circuits on shore power - intermittently. After some anxious moment we tracked it down to the transfer switch, which will need to be replaced. A tap with a hammer when it didn't work worked for this trip. This transfer switch is also a surge protector.
Question one - has anyone else had this problem and would it be wise to get a separate transfer switch and surge protector.
Question two - is there a reason there is no light in the battery compartment. Could I install one without issue.
Thanks!

BRJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 01:16 PM   #2
team bradfield
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19994
My battery compartment light was difficult to find/reach, overhead towards the truck side. I installed these in mine, motion sensor and bright, work great.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08QVKPC7X...xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

The "Black Pearl"-2017 3731FL Legacy Package
2017 F-450 Platinum, 6.7 PSD
team bradfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 02:24 PM   #3
scuba dude
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10841
I have a 2020 3813 and had problems with the transfer switch which caused major problems with shore power cord and central vac had to be replaced under warranty. I do not have a generator built in so no need for transfer switch. I had service not replace transfer switch with same faulty one and just remove it and wire around it. Keep the new transfer switch in case I sell rv down the road and buyer wants to install generator he can put it back in. Installed my own surge protector. No more problems, Fingers crossed.
scuba dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 03:35 PM   #4
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Thre PD transfer switches supplied were (are) garbage. Montana was replacing them under warranty with one that works but has lesser features. Do a Search here and you will find lots of discussion.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 04:30 PM   #5
BRJ
Established Member

M.O.C. #24738
Thanks, that helped a lot.
Old 09-08-2021, 07:36 PM   #6
Mikendebbie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21044
Dumb question(s)…but what is the transfer switch? What system is it associated with? Do all Montes have them or is it specific to certain models or years? Where is it on the rig? I have no idea if I have one or not. I have seen them mentioned in previous threads and decided now was the time to ask.
Aussie Gus + Texas Heeler Jimmy
Mikendebbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 08:17 PM   #7
BRJ
Established Member

M.O.C. #24738
Any Montana with a generator or a generator prep will have a transfer switch. It controls the switching from shore power to generator power. I'm not an electrician and there are a lot of experts in this forum that can explain it better than me.