Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 07-24-2021, 09:14 AM   #41
Chief Brown
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #27901
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamMike View Post
Hi everyone, I've been looking at the different hitches and wondering which is the best for my truck to tow my new 5'er. I have a 2021 MHC 295RL, I was told Pullrite is the best hitch, but was curious to hear others thoughts with the same truck and what you suggest?
Thanks,
Mike
What hitch did you end up with? I have a 2020 Ram with short bed and puck system. We bought a 2021 MHC 331RL in March. When I hooked my 331RL to the truck I was running too high in front. I had a Curt Q20 slider hitch with Curt C16022 adapter legs in the bed. The adapter legs caused the hitch to be too high. I finally had to install a Curt 16021 base and remove the adapter legs and slider hitch.

Chief Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 10:53 AM   #42
Rich Lazz
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #26330
Same story here. the ANDERSON is a charm. light weight, easy in and out, and good clearance.................but I keep an eye on it for sure in a tight turn....!!
Rich Lazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2021, 03:07 PM   #43
Montanaontheroad

M.O.C. #23795
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Brown View Post
What hitch did you end up with? I have a 2020 Ram with short bed and puck system. We bought a 2021 MHC 331RL in March. When I hooked my 331RL to the truck I was running too high in front. I had a Curt Q20 slider hitch with Curt C16022 adapter legs in the bed. The adapter legs caused the hitch to be too high. I finally had to install a Curt 16021 base and remove the adapter legs and slider hitch.
Chief Brown..have you had any clearance issues running this setup since you started using it? We ran into the same issue. Also, wondering what level you have your head set at. Which holes are you using. If you could attach a photo I would appreciate it.
Montanaontheroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2021, 03:13 PM   #44
dfb
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17163
Quote:
Originally Posted by kowbra View Post
I'm sorry for your incident.

But I also don't get it... maybe because I started driving commercial when I was 18, but there is never a situation that you should get yourself into that would require the rig to be so twisted that this happens.

People go on about turning 90 degrees - you should never need 90 degrees.

There are times I have walked my route even if that took a few extra minutes. I try never to get myself in a situation where I can't get out of safely and without need to twist things up.

Now, that doesn't mean accidents don't happen, but let's face it, there are a lot of ways to damage things if you get yourself in a bad spot that have nothing to do with a slider hitch. Here are some others...

-swinging the back end into another vehicle. Last year a guy put the back end of his 5th wheel into the back end of the guy across from him. They had to bring in a heavy hauler tow truck to unlock everything.

-dropping your axles into a ditch because of having to turn too sharp.

-hitting major tree limbs because you ended up having to make a corner in the end of that old campground which was never designed for the size of newer rigs.

I could go on, but the point is this... an auto slider may help when one gets into situations they shouldn't be in... so don't get in them. With some additional planning you don't need an auto slider hitch. So, no, there is not ONE hitch that everyone needs.

IMHO, the best thing is for everyone to continually work on improving their skills, including better planning and practising manoeuvring skills like turns and backing.

At least, that's my experience, YMMV.

Brad
Thanks.. You are right.
dfb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2021, 03:52 PM   #45
Chief Brown
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #27901
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montanaontheroad View Post
Chief Brown..have you had any clearance issues running this setup since you started using it? We ran into the same issue. Also, wondering what level you have your head set at. Which holes are you using. If you could attach a photo I would appreciate it.
No issues. I am still not perfectly level. I am using the bottom hole in the hitch. I will try to load some pictures later.
Old 12-08-2021, 09:49 AM   #46
Chief Brown
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #27901
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Brown View Post
No issues. I am still not perfectly level. I am using the bottom hole in the hitch. I will try to load some pictures later.
Hopefully the picture is here. First time trying to load a picture.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Curt Hitch.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	162.3 KB
ID:	10747