Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 01-12-2021, 09:25 AM   #21
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
From postings over the years I would say that the majority of RVers do run their fridge on propane when traveling. If there has been a case of that proving to have caused a fire it is extremely rare as there has simply been rare postings of it being thought to have occurred. And not sure any proven.

Of course the movement toward residential fridges is making that a moot point.

BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 09:42 AM   #22
mhs4771
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9969
We always traveled with the Propane Fridge on, would just stop short of the pumps and turn it off before pulling up to the pumps to refuel, then turn it back on when we pulled away.
Old 01-12-2021, 10:26 AM   #23
RickyRobert
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #27598
Since this thread has somehow leaped over to the issue of travelling with propane tanks, Good Sam offers a synopsis of the State and Provincial laws governing the issue. https://www.goodsam.com/article/defa...icleID=2377513 If you cut and paste into Word then you can search on the word propane and you will see that there are a number of restrictions up to and including shut-off (that can be examined by toll booth and/or highway personnel). Personally, I have been asked in the past, including border crossings. And, yes, I have seen burning and burned out hulks, but can not state whether or not open propane valves had anything to do with it. Thank goodness these have been very few and far between! (Admittedly, as a retired over-the-road driver, I probably have the miles under my belt to see more of these.)
RickyRobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 02:03 PM   #24
twindman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5651
I believe I read on here years ago that there is little danger when pulling in to a gas station with propane on. Gas fumes are heavier than air so the fumes would be very near the ground. The rv fridge and vents are near 4 feet off the ground and should not touch the gas fumes. Comments???

Tom and Gail
2013 Mountaineer 362
2012 Silverado 2500
twindman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 03:56 PM   #25
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
That’s my take on it also, Tom. Gasoline fumes are definitely heavier than air and will sink to the ground. So to get an adequate concentration of fumes to support combustion up to and into the fridge vent and reach the flame would require some really freak wind. And in most cases the fridge is well back from the pumps and too far to matter anyway.

If you are at diesel only pumps it is a moot point. Diesel does not put out flammable fumes like gasoline. I used to use diesel to start brush piles burning on land I used to own. I would have to hold a match close enough to touch the diesel on some wood to get it to light. Fumes would not ignite.

As far as it starting an RV fire while traveling down the highway, I just can’t think of a way for that to happen with the small flame contained in the fridge combustion area.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 05:24 AM   #26
jeffba
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20753
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikendebbie View Post
Update: the outlet already exist and it is not GFCI. I am just planning for a project in the next few months to get a RV carport structure installed. I have to move the Monte to the other side of the house, spread and compact some gravel, the get the carport structure installed. I only want the Samsung fridge to keep running and keep the batteries charged...no intentions of running anything else.

Mike you will be fine. I did that for 16 years before we needed 50 amp to run both ACs.

And to poke fun at another thread. Make sure you plug into 120VAC vs 110VAC
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat CCLB PSD DRW KJ5CQH
jeffba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 08:56 AM   #27
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
Our fridge (and propane) are turned on several days before a trip. When I disconnect from shore power it goes to propane and remains on until we get to where ever we are going. Its been through many gas stations, over many bridges and trough a few tunnels without an issue.

If we go to a close by place, say less that an hour away, I will not run it on propane. It will stay cold for a few hours without it on.
beeje is offline   Reply With Quote