Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 10-22-2020, 01:05 PM   #61
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montana Man View Post
Kowbra, my name is posted above as saying shaking my head buying extended warranties... I didn't write that. I just didn't want to be misquoted.
You are correct Montana man I wrote that quote and I'll take full credit for it. I don't see the point in buying an extended warranty for a vehicle that is fully covered for 3+ years if you're going to trade it in after 4 years. The powertrain coverages are usually five years hundred thousand miles. I can see the dealer giving you a tad more for the extended warranty covered vehicle because it will be easier for them to sell.

beeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 06:19 PM   #62
kowbra
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26690
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montana Man View Post
Kowbra, my name is posted above as saying shaking my head buying extended warranties... I didn't write that. I just didn't want to be misquoted.
Ya, sorry about that; I clicked on the Quote button from the post by beeje as normal. I do see now that it put your name on the quote.
I think there must have been a glitch with the system, because a couple posts above beeje quoted something from you, and it showed that the quote was from himself.
I previewed this message and the preview looks correct, so I'm going to post and hope it works ok this time...

Brad
kowbra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 06:22 PM   #63
kowbra
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26690
Quote:
Originally Posted by beeje View Post
You are correct Montana man I wrote that quote and I'll take full credit for it. I don't see the point in buying an extended warranty for a vehicle that is fully covered for 3+ years if you're going to trade it in after 4 years. The powertrain coverages are usually five years hundred thousand miles. I can see the dealer giving you a tad more for the extended warranty covered vehicle because it will be easier for them to sell.
lol, I guess you didn't read my reply, maybe it was too long...
short answer, I broke even on the price I paid for extended warranties, and got free peace of mind and free oil changes. Seems like a good deal to me. Perhaps others will see the point even if you don't

Brad
kowbra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 06:25 PM   #64
Last2Die
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22986
Quote:
Originally Posted by kowbra View Post
lol, I guess you didn't read my reply, maybe it was too long...
short answer, I broke even on the price I paid for extended warranties, and got free peace of mind and free oil changes. Seems like a good deal to me. Perhaps others will see the point even if you don't

Brad
It’s your money.. spend it however you like, as long as it’s legal lol. If it gives you piece of mind then for you it was money well spent.
2018 3920fb 2020 GMC Denali 3500 4x4 Duramax, 10 speed Allison. LB SRW, Firestone air bags with Airlift wireless onboard compressor. Anderson Ultimate Hitch. MX4 folding cover. 50gal titan in bed transfer tank. Onan 6500 lp genset installed by me ! Had: 2 HF 3500 Inverters with Parallel Kit
Last2Die is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 08:28 PM   #65
sourdough
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26010
Quote:
That's not a judgmental comment at all. Maybe I should have chosen a different word or phrase like unwise or something like that.
There are multiple Financial experts with dozens of Articles written stating the same thing.
You would be correct in vehicles bought decades ago being problematic however most of today's vehicles are much more reliable than they were back then.
And you're right sometimes there is only a small price difference between used and new in that case I would go for the new one also. Just did that in 2015 with my wife's Civic. The dealers were getting 15 for a three-year-old Civic 30000 miles on it when a new one was 19 so we bought the new one.
The truck I just bought in February is a totally different situation however. 2 year old truck with 4600 miles on it with an original sticker of $80,000 and I paid 52.
I applaud you new truck buyers because without you there wouldn't be some spectacular deals on used vehicles that are practically new.

I think anyone doing what we do makes choices on what they think, believe and want. Whatever you or I choose to do is not "stupid", it's what we want to do...and as far as I'm concerned that preference, if it doesn't affect me, is 100% on that individual and not my concern.

Buying used is good for some folks but not for me. I am very specific in what I want, I have very little patience (I'm not going to walk to the end of the earth trying to find a used vehicle like I want) and I don't care what a vehicle costs. I will make sure that what I pay is the best that can be had but I'm not worrying about finding a used "something" somewhere that fits my criteria to save 2k. Hard enough doing that with new, next to impossible with used.

My financial guy buys used as well. Advocated that to me and told him what I thought of it. He said to be frugal you should look for a good "used" deal to save money....but, you don't have to worry about that so get what you want...and I do. I don't view that as stupid...just doing what I do without trying to pass judgement on anyone else. Everyone floats their boat in a different way....don't know that anyone is stupid or "unwise" based on someone else's thoughts or position in life
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 09:55 PM   #66
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
I think anyone doing what we do makes choices on what they think, believe and want. Whatever you or I choose to do is not "stupid", it's what we want to do...and as far as I'm concerned that preference, if it doesn't affect me, is 100% on that individual and not my concern.

Buying used is good for some folks but not for me. I am very specific in what I want, I have very little patience (I'm not going to walk to the end of the earth trying to find a used vehicle like I want) and I don't care what a vehicle costs. I will make sure that what I pay is the best that can be had but I'm not worrying about finding a used "something" somewhere that fits my criteria to save 2k. Hard enough doing that with new, next to impossible with used.

My financial guy buys used as well. Advocated that to me and told him what I thought of it. He said to be frugal you should look for a good "used" deal to save money....but, you don't have to worry about that so get what you want...and I do. I don't view that as stupid...just doing what I do without trying to pass judgement on anyone else. Everyone floats their boat in a different way....don't know that anyone is stupid or "unwise" based on someone else's thoughts or position in life
Like I said I chose the wrong words. Sorry to ruffle anyone's feathers I didn't mean it that way. I think what makes a big difference when we all Converse about these things is not knowing each other personally.
We all have different occupations and I'm sure we all make vastly different money. I'm sure there are members that are well into the six-figure range and others that only make 30k. I suppose if I had money to burn I would buy new trucks and campers also.
I envy all who can afford to trade-in trucks and buy a new one every 3 or 4 years and buy new campers every 3 or 4 years. But I think the vast majority of us do not have that ability
Old 10-24-2020, 06:28 AM   #67
DebNJim B
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21158
I have nearly always bought used, only two new vehicles in my lifetime. But this last time I just couldn't find what I was looking for plus the used trucks were nearly as much as new. The new ones on the lots had things I didn't want and didn't have the things I did want so I ordered one just the way I wanted it. Now after coming off the scales I'm thinking maybe I'd rather have that F450 dually rather than the F350 SRW. I'm within limits but not much head room. Walking around the CG yesterday I look at the 450 next door and says "hmm, I'd like that truck". DW says "I thought you loved your truck". I says "I do but you know how our truck kind of bounces along after those bridge transitions, that 450 dually wouldn't do that". She says "Hmmm, I'd like that truck too".

Just looked up my trade in value, wow. Just might go shopping.

DebNJim B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 08:00 AM   #68
mhs4771
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9969
Just think, if no one bought new, there wouldn't be any used to purchase.
I've looked at used, but always wonder why that extremely low mileage truck is back at a dealer. I know for a fact that I traded in several lemons to get away from all the issues they had.
Old 10-24-2020, 08:26 AM   #69
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhs4771 View Post
Just think, if no one bought new, there wouldn't be any used to purchase.
I've looked at used, but always wonder why that extremely low mileage truck is back at a dealer. I know for a fact that I traded in several lemons to get away from all the issues they had.
I said the same exact thing earlier in this thread. If it wasn't for those new truck buyers there wouldn't be any used vehicles for us used buyers to choose from.

I got a great deal on my truck and trade in when I bought it in February. Several friends said that's a great deal there's got to be something wrong with it. To tell you the truth I was a little leery since the truck has had two previous owners with only 4600 miles on it. It hadn't even had its first oil change yet. The Carfax stated that both previous owner's were commercial so I'm guessing it was just a show truck to impress clients or something. Since February it's towed the Monte 4000 miles or so with no issues whatsoever.

Over the past 40 plus years I have only bought two new vehicles along with numerous used ones. Believe it or not the only major problems I had with any of those Vehicles were the two new ones. I bought a new 90 Ford F150 that had to have the moter rebuilt at 10,000 miles for a rod knock. I bought new 02 Chevy Duramax that was on the back of a rollback due to failed injectors at 70,000 miles. No major issues with the used vehicles with the exception of a 97 Dodge diesel. Had to rebuild the transmission on that truck twice.

So you are correct while buying used, it is definitely the luck of the draw but a truck with such low mileage is still under factory warranty for quite some time.
Old 10-24-2020, 02:25 PM   #70
R.S.O'Donnell
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25842
Quote:
I said the same exact thing earlier in this thread. If it wasn't for those new truck buyers there wouldn't be any used vehicles for us used buyers to choose from.

I got a great deal on my truck and trade in when I bought it in February. Several friends said that's a great deal there's got to be something wrong with it. To tell you the truth I was a little leery since the truck has had two previous owners with only 4600 miles on it. It hadn't even had its first oil change yet. The Carfax stated that both previous owner's were commercial so I'm guessing it was just a show truck to impress clients or something. Since February it's towed the Monte 4000 miles or so with no issues whatsoever.

Over the past 40 plus years I have only bought two new vehicles along with numerous used ones. Believe it or not the only major problems I had with any of those Vehicles were the two new ones. I bought a new 90 Ford F150 that had to have the moter rebuilt at 10,000 miles for a rod knock. I bought new 02 Chevy Duramax that was on the back of a rollback due to failed injectors at 70,000 miles. No major issues with the used vehicles with the exception of a 97 Dodge diesel. Had to rebuild the transmission on that truck twice.

So you are correct while buying used, it is definitely the luck of the draw but a truck with such low mileage is still under factory warranty for quite some time.
We bought our 2018 CPO King Ranch with 45k miles that booked new for $74K (out of this retirees price range) for $55k with a Ford Extended Warranty that covers almost everything until 2025 and 100,000 miles. It cost us $2,800. There is NO WAY I was going to buy any used tow vehicle without plenty of warranty. When we went shopping it had to be CPO's and had to have a factory add on warranty. In the end I think we did pretty well.

For me the truck came down to seat comfort and the Ford upper end model seats felt best to me.

I was medically retired from the Army a little over 30 years ago after a very serious accident that landed me in Walter Reed for 10 days. It has NOT gotten better with time.

R.S.O'Donnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 02:27 PM   #71
shredder22
Established Member

M.O.C. #27200
Hey Jim, I put myself in that same situation. I have ordered a new truck, Ram 3500, 8' bed, 6.7 Cummings, SRW, all my numbers make sense but am wishing I would have ordered the DWR for that extra warm and fuzzy feeling. It should be delivered late Nov. and am considering getting something else before it's too late but don't know how to approach it with the dealer. Anyone with any thoughts would be very appreciated. Good luck with your decisions.
shredder22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 02:40 PM   #72
R.S.O'Donnell
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25842
Quote:
Originally Posted by shredder22 View Post
Hey Jim, I put myself in that same situation. I have ordered a new truck, Ram 3500, 8' bed, 6.7 Cummings, SRW, all my numbers make sense but am wishing I would have ordered the DWR for that extra warm and fuzzy feeling. It should be delivered late Nov. and am considering getting something else before it's too late but don't know how to approach it with the dealer. Anyone with any thoughts would be very appreciated. Good luck with your decisions.
We are full timers who don't have the option of taking just enough for a trip. Our bedroom closet is full and we have a washer and dryer so DRW were really the only option that made sense to us. But we are definitely in the minority. Based on my observations I'm going to say the percentage of 5ers with SRW rigs is probably 95% or better. Just not that many DRW rigs out here. I can also say that in almost three years of crisscrossing the USA up and down and back and forth (about 45K miles) we've never seen a singe incident of any kind involving a 5th wheel RV.
R.S.O'Donnell is offline   Reply With Quote