Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 06-27-2019, 12:37 PM   #1
milsutter
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17499
Send a message via AIM to milsutter Send a message via MSN to milsutter Send a message via Yahoo to milsutter
Wet bolt problem

This RV lifestyle is soooo much fun. Now on my 17 3790 I have one wet bolt that won’t take grease. I have tried it with the tire on the ground & off. I have taken the zerk off & made sure grease will go through it. I even stuck a wire into the hole, but the wire only goes in a little way.
Any suggestions?

milsutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 01:22 PM   #2
jsb5717
Montana Master

M.O.C. #23668
when you take the zerk off is there grease inside? I saw on another post of someone with the same issue was that the little hole in the wet bolt was facing down. He removed it and turn it upward, then it took the grease.
jsb5717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 01:30 PM   #3
milsutter
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17499
Send a message via AIM to milsutter Send a message via MSN to milsutter Send a message via Yahoo to milsutter
A small amount
Old 06-27-2019, 06:50 PM   #4
alherbel
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #21735
Most wet bolts have gnarled(?) heads, not easy to take them apart once they are seated.
. . . If bolt does not take grease, jack axle off the ground to have hole in bolt line up in a different angle... should take when pin hole for grease is off pressure point... If that fails, jack up pivot point between springs to take RV weight off pin hole... may not have to take wheels off ground to free area from blocking pin hole... hope that helps
Old 06-27-2019, 08:58 PM   #5
BuilderBob
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20475
I had one that I had to pull the bolt out and clean out the hole in the bolt it was plugged up and no grease could to through to the bushing. I used a small drill bit and it works great now.
Happy Trails
BuilderBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 05:34 AM   #6
milsutter
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17499
I tried to take the nut off of the bolt yesterday, but could not turn it. Don’t have an impact gun, so will wait until I get with some friends. Hopefully one of them will have the right tool.
Old 06-28-2019, 10:49 AM   #7
Ram Montana High Country
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19944
get a big pipe on the wrench and a buddy to assist
Ram Montana High Country is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 07:29 PM   #8
summer home
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #21038
Impact gun only for removal/loosening... don't use on installation!!
perhaps a pneumatic grease gun might have more pressure to push the clog thru and free it...
summer home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 09:04 AM   #9
Hblick48
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21903
I had a wet bolt that wouldn't take grease on right rear spring. By the time I got to look into it (was on 9,000 mile circle of America), here's what I found.

The wet bolt and the bronze bearing had fused together. The side of the brass bearing opposite from the hole in wet bolt had worn very thin. Because the two had fused, eventually the bolt with the knurled portion started to rotate, and wore the hole in the shackle. When I tried to install new wet bolt, hole was worn larger than the knurling, so the bolt wouldn't lock in.

Had to cut shackle from frame and weld in a new one.

I now make sure all bolts accept grease on a regular basis.
Hblick48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 10:57 AM   #10
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
Quote:
Originally Posted by milsutter View Post
I tried to take the nut off of the bolt yesterday, but could not turn it. Don’t have an impact gun, so will wait until I get with some friends. Hopefully one of them will have the right tool.
Once the nut is off do not try to turn the bolt, it has serrations under the head to keep it from turning and enlarging the hole. You need to drive the bolt out a little then it should turn.
8.1al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 07:15 PM   #11
LDMoore06
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13418
Today I had one of the rear frame hanger wet bolts that would not take grease. The other rear one was this way a couple of years ago. This time as with the last time both bronze bushings were shot, very thin and only a piece of it this time. Installed a new wet bolt assembly and good to go. I always carry an extra wet bolt. Ordered a replacement also.
LDMoore06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 09:44 AM   #12
RRman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7196
Hmm..
Maybe half of my wet bolts take grease anytime I try to grease them.
When I had the wet bolts installed by dealer after 3 or 4 years of RV travel use based on the old advice the OEM plastic bushings would be destroyed in short order, I had the OEM Bolts and bushings returned to me and they were in GREAT shape. So I have to wonder generally speaking how much new grease is needed in every wetbolt all the time...
RRman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 11:40 AM   #13
prndl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19630
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hblick48 View Post
I had a wet bolt that wouldn't take grease on right rear spring. By the time I got to look into it (was on 9,000 mile circle of America), here's what I found.

The wet bolt and the bronze bearing had fused together. The side of the brass bearing opposite from the hole in wet bolt had worn very thin. Because the two had fused, eventually the bolt with the knurled portion started to rotate, and wore the hole in the shackle. When I tried to install new wet bolt, hole was worn larger than the knurling, so the bolt wouldn't lock in.

Had to cut shackle from frame and weld in a new one.

I now make sure all bolts accept grease on a regular basis.
Wouldn't it have been easier to weld up the hole and redial to size?
prndl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 02:33 PM   #14
milsutter
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17499
Ended up taking the wet bolt completely out today. There was no grease on it, and the tiny hole in the bolt was plugged with dirt. Drill out the dirt , put a little bit of grease on the bolt and reinstalled it. Made sure the hole was at 9 o’clock. It took grease after installation, so all is well now! Until the next one won’t take grease!!
Old 07-09-2019, 07:45 AM   #15
Ram Montana High Country
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19944
Quote:
Originally Posted by milsutter View Post
Ended up taking the wet bolt completely out today. There was no grease on it, and the tiny hole in the bolt was plugged with dirt. Drill out the dirt , put a little bit of grease on the bolt and reinstalled it. Made sure the hole was at 9 o’clock. It took grease after installation, so all is well now! Until the next one won’t take grease!!
Don't you just wonder how those things get plugged ??
Ram Montana High Country is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 06:55 PM   #16
milsutter
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17499
Yes, it is amazing how it gets plugged