Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 07-03-2019, 05:44 PM   #1
Jimongee
Established Member

M.O.C. #18968
Lift jack problem

I sure hope someone can help. We are moments from departing and so to hook up my 06 Montana I had to lift it more than usual due to the slope where we stored it. So I confirmed the battery was fully charged and proceeded to extend the jacks. After about 8”of lift travel they just started making this loud ratcheting noise and would not extend any more. Unfortunately the RV was not yet high enough to mate with the receiver. Anybody have a clue as to what might be the problem? Thanks

Jimongee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 07:52 PM   #2
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
Assume with the 06 you have electric operated, not hydraulic. There are both retract and extend limitations on those legs. On my rigs, I painted black lines as a reminder. Do not remember the specifics. I would guess you either exceeded the extend elevation impacting the leg gearing or the slope resulted in too much strain on the motor that operates both legs.
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 08:14 PM   #3
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Obviously you got the RV unhooked from the truck so the jacks are not over extended. F.Y.I. The maximum extension of the driven leg is 20". Most of us drew a line at 19" to be safe. You can also over retract the driven leg which causes problems too. Mark it at the bottom to ensure it isn't retracted too much. The "Drop" leg (the manual one with the pins to adjust) has a max extension of 10".

It sounds like the RV has moved and bound up the legs (which are extended a long way). Crib under the front end and use hydralic jacks to raise the RV and take the binding out of the legs. It you have a forklift or skid steer handy, now is the time to use it.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 07:35 AM   #4
dsttexas
Established Member

M.O.C. #15936
May need to lower manual extensions further

Find someone with a truck and hitch that sits lower than yours, or put some kind of support in your truck bed that will allow your hitch to be lowered onto it. Then raise front jacks all the way, extend the manual extensions all the way out at least more than before, then raise the trailer, put your truck under it and should be high enough.

It could be that while stored the front jacks settled in to the ground just enough to cause an issue. It could also be a jack issue in which case this fix may not work.
dsttexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 10:26 AM   #5
waynemoore
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10552
If you are in a spot with that much slop be sure to chock the wheels.
As Carl said I bet it moved and bound up the legs.
Add 40 GAL tank in bed.
waynemoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 10:35 AM   #6
dsttexas
Established Member

M.O.C. #15936
Quote:
Originally Posted by waynemoore View Post
If you are in a spot with that much slop be sure to chock the wheels.
As Carl said I bet it moved and bound up the legs.
Agreed. Good point, but the process I suggested might still help resolve bound up legs that won't go any higher.
dsttexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 11:08 AM   #7
prndl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19630
Put some cribbing and/or jack stands under the front frame and retract the jacks and then extend the legs and again use the jacks to lift the trailer.

Then again your motor/gears might be stripped. Is the cross connecting shaft turning?
prndl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 12:06 PM   #8
twindman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5651
I had this happen when I parked on a sloping driveway. It slightly bent the legs on one side. I replaced it and all was well. It was pretty easy to replace and Venture Mfg. was very helpful. In 2013 the cost for a whole leg was $150 (probably more for shipping). I had a 2006 Model 2980.

Also if you hear the rachet sound very often you will ruin the clutch assembly on the motor. I also replaced this at some point too. As others mentioned, extending or retracting too much causes this so be very careful when near the ends. Stopping one inch before the end won't effect much, but will eliminate the racheting.
Finally, I couldn't raise it one time so used Jacks under the frame and raised it an inch or two and then lowered the jacks some more and repeated until I could get it on the truck.

Tom and Gail
2013 Mountaineer 362
2012 Silverado 2500
twindman is offline   Reply With Quote